Graphic Driver woes

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Offalycool, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Offalycool

Offalycool New Member

Hi, Just like to say hello to everybody here ;)

I have an unmoded agp Radeon 9800 pro 128mb, running on win 2000. I had the Ati cat 6.1 drivers on my system, and all was fine, until I installed the new Omega v3.8.205 (based on the Ati 6.1) and things went wrong. I uninstalled the original drivers using the cat-uninstaller.exe before installing the omega drivers, and everything went fine until the last screen, after it installs Multires. The screen informs me I should allow any reg chances and any files that are to be overwritten. I get the following prompts:

Cannot import C:\program: Error opening the file, There may be a disk or file system error… Continue etc.

I also get the same prompts for the following: Files\Radeon:,

Omega:,

Drivers\v3.8.205\ATT_Prof.reg:.

Following this I am asked weather I want a shortcut on my desktop for Ati Tray Tools. I have tried following the uninstall instructions on the Omegadrivers website, and reinstalling the original Ati 6.1 drivers which seem to install fine, but they do not work properly.

Both driver’s produce similar results in battlefield 2, on single player it works fine (possibly due to small maps?) but the large multiplayer maps stutter immediately after joining the game, with very slow performance for about 30 seconds, then it reboots my computer. I have also noticed there is a slight outline surrounding the dark areas on my desktop, as if the colour was slightly off. This is my favourite Game and I’m already experiencing heavy withdraw symptoms. I don’t really know that much about this kind of stuff.

2. cause_of_chaos

cause_of_chaos SEGA Europe Limited

I would recommend uninstalling the Omegas (Add or Remove Programs, Radeon Omega Drivers v... whatever), then doing a full HDD error check, as it looks like you have some errors on the HDD. it should install fine after that.

cause_of_chaos

3. Offalycool

Offalycool New Member

Thanks for the reply..

I uninstalled thr omega drivers and tried to run a disk check, using the utility in the tool's menue of the properties options on my C:\. there are two options, one is auto fix all issues and i cant remember the other.. If I select these I am informed that I dont have full access priviliges to the entire drive, yet I am the administratior? Leaving the options unselected it performs the scan and fines no errors, or at least does not report them. If I use the same defragmenter I get a red (fragmented part) on the end of the progress bar, The drive defragments to this point and just hangs there. If I use O&O Defrag Profesional, it performs the full defragment, moving the files the regular one does not, but they are still highlighted red, and performing a regular defrag will return them to the original section of the progress bar...

I have had this defrag problem for about two months, but it didnt seem to be a performance problem before. I have updated the original ati cat driver a few times lately and everything worked fine untill I tried the Omega drivers for the first time, the other day.

I think there may be a driver conflict, but I'm only guessing. Does anybody know how to compleatly remove any trace of graphic drivers from win 200 pro (except vga basic drivers), I have allready used CCleaner and the utility Driver cleaner. I have also used catuninstall utility. :sigh:

4. cause_of_chaos

How about if U restart your computer in safe mode (by holding f8 when starting up, and selecting safe mode). Then U can try logging in as the administrator, and scheduling a Scan Disc. It really sounds like errors on the HDD.

Regards,

cause_of_chaos

Edited:

U shouldn't defrag U'r HDD with errors on the HDD. I don't think that anything bad will happen, but it won't benefit U at all

cause_of_chaos

5. Offalycool

Offalycool New Member

Hi, I've been away for a coupple of days, so I only ran the full scan tonight..
    The scan runs right to the end, then I get a blue screen with the following,

*** STOP: 0X00000001 (0XBFFBIE2C, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XBFF94FE0)
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    *** ADDRESS BFFBIE2C BASE AT BFF8E000, DATESTAMP 3E25BA16 - ACPI.SYS
    " " " " BFF945E0 " " " " " " " "

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN.....ETC.......

I take it this is not good!

Do I need to junk the drive and get a new one or can this be mended?

6. cause_of_chaos

Blue screen on a HDD scan = :eek: !

Have U scanned the HDD for virusses? Use the McAfee online scanner:

http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9914

If there are, then clean them. If there are none, I recommend backing up your stuff, and formatting the HDD. Then see if a fresh install of windows solves this problem (Last Resort). U DEFINATLEY shouldn't get a blue screen there!!!

cause_of_chaos

7. Offalycool

Offalycool New Member

Hi, I've ran full virus scans, both on the site u sugested and http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp

I have also ran the AVG free virus and spybot - search and destroy. no leads though.

Looks like I have to start again. Cant do it for a few days, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your help :)

8. Noblet

Noblet New Member

Just saw this thread after posting same problem:

Thing we have in common is Win 2000.

We can't both have faulty disks!

9. Offalycool

Offalycool New Member

Hi Noblet, this is intresting.. If u run a full system HD scan, let me know if u get the dreaded blue screen at the end. Also if u have battlefield 2, does it still work? - I have noticed performance loss in any 3d program that didn't just crash!

10. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Did you use Driver Cleaner out of curiosity?

11. Offalycool

Offalycool New Member

Yes.. No good... Looks like I just wipe everything or give up gaming.... Kinda sick of gaming.. But want a functional computer..... guess I just hate to limit my computer's potential.. especialy when the new elder scrolls is due soon!

12. sc3000

sc3000 New Member