Graphics card upgrade

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by william16, May 6, 2007.

1. william16

william16 New Member

Hi

Hope you can help me with this problem. I had on my computer a WinFast graphics adaptor with a 64MB, GeForce MX440 chipset. I wanted to upgarde because the kids could no longer play Sims, so I bought an Innovision 3D Geforce FX 5200 garphics card. However, in the instructions it mentioned that the old drivers should be removed before installing the new ones. I initially looked for Nvidia drivers thinking that my card is an Nvidia card so I only removed the graphics chipset and left the WinFast card still installed. I then tried to install the new card and it would not install, advising " an error occured during installation, data is not valid " I then realised that I also needed to remove the WinFast driver which I did, the probelm persisted. I evnetually took the computer to a PC engineer who run a driver cleaner and then tried to install the new driver, still without success. I in turn downloaded the driver cleaner from Driver Clearner.net; the new driver would still not install. The engineer had mentioned that the only thing left to do now is to format the computer-clear everything from it. Naturally , I am not keen to do this.
    I downloaded and tried to install several versions of the driver-84.21, 91.47, 93.71, 93.81, Omega- none of them worked.

My system details:
    Processor-AMD Athlon XP1800, X86 family
    Hard Drive-Maxtor 6L040J2
    Motherboard-AsusTek
    Memory-768MB
    Operating syetm-XP Home Edition

I look forward to your advice.

With thanks

William

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

So you have removed the old videocard and put the new one in?

Have you also tried installing the drivers that came with the card? so the original drivers from the videocard?

Where do you get that error? at the beginning when you run the driver file or later during the install?

Can you tell me what motherboard do you have exactly? if you can find that info

3. william16

william16 New Member

Yes, I removed the old card and slotted the new one, without any problem-the card is AGP type. I also installed the drivers that came with the card, on the enclosed CD. When installation is complete, I am asked to reboot, which I do. When alll programmes are loaded, I get the message "Found New Hardware-VGA display.." Click to install. (this should not happen because it should have installed in the first place!!) I still click and I get Found New Hardware Wizard. I follow all the steps and at the end I get the error message. Have tried various options with the wizard-automatic install/install from specific location-where I direct the computer to the location of the driver. Halfway it advises that a certain file is missing, indicate the path. The engineer managed to get the paths of all missing files but the error message still appaeared at the end.

Motherboard details as follows-
    Model Asus A7A266-E
    Socket A Motherboard
    ALiMaGik 1 Chipset
    DDR RAM/SDRAM
    266MHz FSB AGP Pro/4x

I have the manual, if more specific info. is required about the motherboard, can provide this.

With thanks
    William

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

uninstall all nvidia drivers from control panel and manually remove any display adapter from device manager. reboot. when windows says that it found new hardware click cancel and install drivers from CD.

5. william16

william16 New Member

No Nvidia drivers appear on the Add/Remove programmes as installations failed so there were none to remove. I then went to the device manager, Hardware. Under Other devices there is "Video Controller VGA Compatible" I disbaled this and rebooted. This time the "Found New Hardware" sign did not appear so I inseted the disc that came with graphics card, installed the driver and re booted, driver for new card is still not installed !! It is not appearing in the device Manager or in the Add/Remove section of the control panel.

Regards

William

6. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Well remove it do not disable it. Then reboot and do as I said earlier.

7. william16

william16 New Member

I did uninstall it this time, rebooted and installed from disc. Got the same message as before "Found new hadrware.." I cancelled and checked Control Panel, no mention of Nividia and in the device manager it is listing a Video Controller (VGA Compatible) However I notice the image is sharper than before. But When we insert a Sims game it is asking for a Direct X 9.0 graphics adapter. I had downloaded and installed Directx 9.0 software but somehow it is not being picked !! Not sure if this is linked with the installation of the card.

Regards

William

8. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

and I did say after reboot when windows founds the new hardware click cancel and install drivers from cd...

9. Spike

william16 when you install the drivers and it ask for a file that it can't find makre sure you direct it to the directory where that new drivers is, because else it will fail.

What you also can do is nothing helps is do a windows repair install. It will leave everything on the system, but only reinstall it's own files.

10. william16

william16 New Member

Dear temeteus82-
    I did as advised, the message is till the same-installation imcomplete, data is invalid..

Dear Spike
    How do I do a Windows repair install? Do you think this will help.

Really now that graphics are not bad all I need is to make the Directx 9.0 graphics adaptor works with the new card so the kids can play Sims again. Is there a way fo doing this?
    Failing this can I re install the old card? I have the original disc.

Awaiting response with thanks.

William16

11. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

download nvidia's forceware 81.94 I think that it's the best driver version for your FX5200 and install it. You will find it on nvidias driver archive.

12. Spike

13. william16

william16 New Member

Thanks for all advice. I just tried to re install the old card; I inserted the disk and Windows as previously, kept asking for missing files!! Could not find some ofthem so I abondoned set up. It seems that there has been some corruption in Windows. Not sure if I want to tackle repair installation myself; I think I will take the computer to a qualified person to look at and repair.

Best regards

William