GTA Effectively BANNED in Australia

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by daRk_heLmet, Jul 29, 2005.

1. daRk_heLmet

daRk_heLmet Keep firing, assholes!

GTA:SA Effectively BANNED in Australia

Australian officials effectively banned the computer game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" and ordered it removed from stores Friday because it contains hidden sex scenes that can be viewed with a special Internet download.

The Office of Film and Literature Classification said in a statement it had outlawed sales of the game by stripping it of its official classification after learning of the explicit content.

"Revocation of a classification means the computer game cannot be legally sold, hired, advertised or exhibited in Australia from the date the decision is made," the statement said.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  2. - Azure -

- Azure - Killtacular !

I dont understand this. Its an 18 yeah? There may be restrictions on what can be shown in real footage [rape paedaphilia and other weird stuff] but they get round it by using CG/Manga so i cannot see why GTA:SA can be banned because it has sex in it...

3. Lakevren

Lakevren MedicalEntropy

From what I've heard, Austrialia has a strict policy about age-ratings, worse than America. So from this news, I am not that surprised.

4. klevo

klevo 2 l33t

this is a JOKE?

5. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

I dont think Australia has a age 18 restriction, think the highest they have is 15 so they adjust all videogames accordingly.

6. BWX

BWX get out and ride

First they take their guns, now this. :rolleyes:

7. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

...only in Australia.

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

there are no age ratings on printed material like magazines, its only for movies and games

but ratings system for games lakcs the R18+ rating, meaning that it has to be acceptable for 15 y.o and over or it can't be sold

there's been a bit of controversy over the lack of the higher rating lately

9. Y2Stu

Y2Stu Member

thank god im not from Australia, but what about the kids that buy the game to play it and not have the internet! Guess they miss out!

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, ONLY in Australia..

------> :rolleyes: @ people who say "only in the US" all the time...

11. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

whats really supriseing is how strict the rules are on video games and movies in australia, the land founded by criminals.

12. mike2h

mike2h New Member

it was not 'founded' by criminals. that is huge misconception. a lot of the 1st immigrants were criminals sent to work the colonies or serve time at botany bay or port macquarie, but the ratio of convicts to legit immigrants changed very quickly. you also have to remember the type of things that could get you transported as non incarcerated criminal were petty even by their strict standards, let alone ours.

13. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i was always tought that it was founded by criminals. due to the over crowding of hte jails, they hauled them over on boats and just dumped them off there to fend for them selfs. when the jails filled up agian, they shipped more of them down there.

14. mike2h

mike2h New Member

that is what was going on. but outside of the criminals in lockdown most were working for the government enclaves or for the settlers. a large percentage also worked their way to freedom. in some ways your statement is true in that a disproportianate amount of the people in the 1st years were convicts & the influx went on for a long time. but they are not the only ones to settle. they only got to go out on their own if they survived their term or earned their freedom(or escaped). australia was truly settled by the same type of people that had earlier opened up america. people looking for a new start, new frontiers, trying to escape the tyranny prevalent in most of europe at that time, seeking wealth, land to call their own, etc.

15. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

heh, pretty much every nation out there has been founded on murder and war.

16. mike2h

mike2h New Member

almost by definition. for any nation to estabish itself it had to occupy a territory & set & enforce boundries. there was only one way to do this.

17. yoda133113

yoda133113 New Member

of course I'm curious about the rating system, I just finished reading an article that said that when it was considerd a 15 game (whatever) it had the warnings, medium level animated violence, medium level coarse language. If GTA:SA is medium, then WTH is high level, GTA:SA is one of the most violent games I've ever seen, the same goes for the language, and if that kind of violence is ok, why is simulted sex with no real nudity that bad (even given my relatively conservative views on sex I think to just change all this stuff because of this mod is bs)