GTX 1660 Super, Ti, 2060

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I will be forced to buy a new GPU as it is quite apparent my current one is getting a bit too old. Not in usage (under a year), but in tech/performance.

So, I am going to eventually sell my GTX 970.

While I would love to get a 3070 or 3080, there is no way in hell I will be able to purchase one and be able to pay the bills.

So, I am between a GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1660 Ti, (new), and a used 2060.
    I can get the 1660 Super for 220 euros (cheapest model, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB OC)
    The 1660 Ti (Gainward GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Ghost OC) for 260 euros or a used RTX 2060 for 230 euros.

Mainly for better streaming, better video editing performance and of course better overall gaming at hopefully 1440p when possible.

Any suggestions?

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Get an RTX 2060, don't get it used though. It is a capable GPU. If you can try and swing for a RTX 2070.

3. Trusteft

That's not going to happen. I am going to spend up to a couple of hundred euros and that is going to make it a very painful month for me. As I see it I will probably go for a 1660 super, the cheapest one I can find new, about 213 or something like that. (including shipping).
    Sure a 2060 Super would be nice, new too, but that is not going to happen.

4. Calliers

Just don't expect to be playing games at Ultra with Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.0 on etc, etc.

Trusteft likes this.
  5. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I would be waiting until most of the new GPU's are available, I am sure prices will be dropping like stones in the next few months. It seems very foolish to be buying any new GPU in the next month or even two... I suspect 2060's will be very cheap and even 5700XT's will be dropping by quite a bit.

QB

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Trusteft

The 1660 Super doesn't support Ray Tracing and I suspect DLSS 2.0.
    There aren't enough games supporting them anyway and by the time there is a large number which do, my whole system will need change which I am not able to do so anyway.
    I don't expect to play on Ultra at 1440p. As someone else says, Ultra is for screenshots and High is for gaming.
    I still expect to get almost double the performance of my GTX 970, depending on the game of course.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Trusteft

Not necessarily. Nvidia stopped months ago producing the 20 series. They may drop a bit more, but they will disappear (new ones) before they ever drop plenty.
    I am not interested in AMD cards so that is not really something I am looking at. Even the new AMD cards which will be announced in the next month or so.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

^This.

I would also wait @Trusteft. Seriously, especially if you don't NEED to upgrade right now. Then you can get a RTX 2060 brand new for CHEAP.

9. Trusteft

Not really. Check my post right above this one.

Calliers likes this.
  10. Calliers

AMD is behind the competition when it comes to GPUs currently so basically it makes sense to stick to Nvidia. Especially now that they own ARM.

11. Trusteft

True, though my issue is not performance on its own.
    (Obvious) lack of NVENC is a huge thing. Still issues with drivers is another. Higher temperatures and/or louder cards is another.
    AMD needs to find a solution with at least their drivers. Now I don't have a AMD card for...well I Dont' remember, perhaps 10 years. But there we always issues with them as far back as I used them (2002) and this is unacceptable. People constantly talk (negatively) about their drivers and how they "eventually" get it right. I know they are a tiny company compared to Nvidia, but FFS! I don't want to wait "eventually" to get the card to work properly.
    Regardless, as I mentioned my first worry is about lack of NVENC which AMD has yet to do anything good enough about it.

Calliers likes this.
  12. Calliers

I agree, I used to -SWEAR- by AMD, but the thing that finally did it for me was the fact that Nvidia cards are better for streaming and Ray Tracing. I was sooooo excited with Ray Tracing, only to be sooooo disappointed later when Ray Tracing was a) not that popular in games and b) even the 2080 struggled to do Ray Tracing in games like say Battlefield 5. Yeah so then I switched over from team red to team green. I'm still using an AMD Ryzen processor and going forward I will not be a fan boy anymore. All I will do is support who ever is winning at the time. And that's that. :)

Edit: Actually I LOVED Radeon cards since the original ATi company, before AMD took over.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Trusteft likes this.
  13. Trusteft

Interesting.
    I went to check the prices and most cards have either disappeared *out of stock, or have gone up in price. Using a Greek site which shows prices from shops here.
    I got worried for a bit, but thankfully I found the one I was looking for (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB OC (GV-N166SOC-6GD) ) for 218+ shipping for 227 euros.
    (all taxes here are included in the price).
    That's new.

Seeing how most stores seem to have either increased the price range, removed them from stock or increase the estimate date to 30 days, I hope this store's 1-3 days is accurate. I guess I will find out later today (it's 6am now here) if there is any problem.

Thanks for your input guys.

IvanV and Calliers like this.
  14. Calliers

Np.

15. Trusteft

I received a phone call in the morning clarifying something and according to further emails, it has already been sent and I might have it even tomorrow.
    Nice.

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  16. Calliers

Now go floss in show your new stuff. :D

17. Trusteft

I wonder if I will remove Nvidia drivers or not before I plug in the new card.
    Probably yes.

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

Yes.

Also, can you please post a picture of the card you're getting? Both in the package and in the metal? I'd like to see please. :D

Trusteft likes this.
  19. Trusteft

ok when I get it. Hopefully even tomorrow.
    Obviously I plan on doing a video or two of it. :) I want to compare it with my current GTX 970 . Though it would be better to also finally replace the fan /heatsink of my CPU too, I bought the replacement last year but I still have the current one in place, with a small power supply on top of it to stop it from rattling. (yes, Fallout levels of tech repairs).

IvanV likes this.
  20. Calliers

Dude is your PC being held together by duct tape and gorilla glue? :rolleyes: