GTX 1660 Super, Ti, 2060

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I won't bother you with the various benchmarks I am going to run (about 8), just heaven benchmark. Which for some reason detected the gpu having only 4GB.

Anyway.
    Heaven Benchmark results. Run the first time I loaded the application.
    Extreme Settings 8xAA 1600x900

GTX 970 GTX 1660 Super
    FPS: 67.1 FPS : 96.1
    Score: 1691 Score: 2421
    Min FPS: 19.3 Min FPS: 21.2
    Max FPS: 144.1 Max FPS 214.0

Apart from the min FPS which is a very small difference, the rest is between 43 and 48 PERCENT difference. That's good.
    The GPU didn't go over 76C and the fan noise is quite a bit lower than in the 970, not that the 970 was extremely loud or anything. Also the new GPU has lower power consumption of about 125 W while the 970 about 30W more.

So far so good. Time will tell as I run the other tests and see the performance in video editing.
    I will probably make a video about it.
    But anyway, as long as I don't have any other weird or not problems, things are looking good.

Edit: In the preview it shows the two results separated with plenty of space between then. Not in the post though.

2. Trusteft

ok I did a few more, I am just too excited about the difference not to mention it.
    1440p max settings. Vsync off and motion blur off when possible.

Resident Evil 6 Benchmarking tool
    Increase of 51%

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor.
    Increase of 61%
    The min with this card is 2 frames lower than the max with the previous card. (61-59)

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

So, how goes the gaming, I bet you're playing tonnes of graphically intensive games right about now... :)

4. Trusteft

I don't have that many of them. I have some, but nothing too difficult. Usually when I buy a AAA game I buy it on PS4 as the PC version usually comes with some restriction or other. DRM, etc.
    I have been playing some games the last couple of days, but mostly World of Tanks and Fallout 4.
    Fallout 4 has to use vsync and not go over certain fps or else the game's physics breaks down and bad things can happen. So the framerate in that remain at 72fps (I don't know) and doesn't really go down (or up) at all. Apart perhaps for a split second over 2-3 hours of gameplay. 1440p max details etc.
    World of tanks doesn't go under 110fps at max settings apart from ...some minor thing I can't remember now what. That is for min. Usually it is over 140fps. Again 1440p. About 50% better performance.
    EDIT: I just realized why 72. The game as I said used vsync and blocks anything over 90 which breaks the physics. I use a 144hz monitor and I assume if Vsync was off I would get the next level 72x2=144.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Calliers likes this.
  5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I've read through this with personal interest. My own RX 590 is at least two years old...maybe three. I'll be on vacation the week before AMD releases the new cards. And, as is my history, I'll be sticking with AMD.

At any rate, I was curious as to how my RX 590 compared with what you posted above in the Heaven Benchmark. (I also like the Valley Benchmark. :) )

Anyway, here is the result of my test using the same settings shown in your tests above:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS: 77.2

Score: 1945

Min FPS: 29.3

Max FPS: 167.0

System
    Platform: Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit

CPU model: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (3700MHz) x8

GPU model: Radeon RX 590 Series 27.20.12029.1000 (4095MB) x1

Settings
    Render: Direct3D11

Mode: 1600x900 8xAA windowed

Preset Extreme

It looks like I'm sitting somewhere between the two cards and test results shown.

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

[​IMG]

ignore the min fps, that's basically due to apparently anti-virus scan occuring simultaniously and likely due to other things i had running in the background and foreground.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Seems a little low... what 5700XT are you rocking? Mine is a Sapphire Nitro+

Here's mine, run without making any changes to my system, it is setup up to be quiet and I even ran it with this browser window open.

Normal.Quiet.jpg

QB

Trusteft likes this.
  8. Judas

it's a pulse.. but i've set it to undervolted and eco mode essentially. If i wanted to post a top end result, i'd have shut everything down and changed the settings to allow it to boost to 2050mhz easily or better. But i'm a fan of having it run silently under load. Also as i said, had my minimums not been so low, the average would have been clearly higher, but really is 7 frames per second really of any significance at this point.

9. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Ahh the Pulse... I was going to buy that one, but then I ran into some extra money (NFL betting) and basically only had to pay $10 CDN out of pocket for the Nitro+... really a no brainer at that point :p

Even today though, I still swallow hard when I think that the cost of the card was $710 CDN... more than double any card I have purchased in the past... It's easy to forget it was "Found Money" :)

QB

10. Judas

I got the pulse when it first launched, i'd have had to wait quite a bit longer for the nitro. I had the card what was it.. a month and a half after the initial rx 5700's launched.

The nitro is almost always a better card specially in the cooling department and my previous 3x 580's were nitros as well

Hopefully in a month potentially, it'll be replaced with a RX 6000 series though.

11. Calliers

You guys are making me feel like I sold out...

12. Trusteft

That's just stupid.

13. Calliers

ATi was originally Canadian. I am Canadian. It may be owned by AMD now, but I used to bleed red lol.

14. Trusteft

Everybody bleeds red.

Calliers likes this.
  15. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I got mine in October last year... They have come down quiet a bit in the last year, but still pretty pricey.

I still bleed Red and will never buy Green or Blue... I still have the remote from my ATi All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro and it still works like a charm :p

As for Team Blue and Team Green... I just don't like some of the practices they have done in the past. Plus I have always been a "bang for the buck" kind of guy and AMD/ATi has more often than not filled that bill.

QB

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Dyre Straits and Calliers like this.
  16. Calliers

Yeah, you can't argue with that, their prices are the bestest in the westest.

17. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

When I bought my first PC, an AST 386DX back in, I believe, 1996, it was the one and only pre-built PC I've ever bought. I learned about upgrading PCs on that machine. One of the first things I upgraded was the video card. That was with a Diamond Multimedia, Stealth 3D card. (I still have this card. :) And, the last time I actually put it into a machine, it still worked. ) The next upgrade was the RAM. Others followed until I finally bought a motherboard, I believe an ABIT brand, and started putting together my own systems.

Back then, and for several more years thereafter, we had the monthly HUGE computer shows that came to town and set up in the local Civic Center. Those weekends have long been gone....as with so many tech box stores that have also come and gone. (Computer City, Circuit City, CompUSA, to name just a few.)

But, with that first newly built system, my first video card for it was the ATi All-in-Wonder, 8MB card. I've been ATi/AMD ever since. And, I was totally and wholly upset when AMD bought out ATi. (Still am not fully happy about it, either!)

With the new stuff coming out in the next few weeks, I'm more inclined to go with a new GPU rather than a console. I know for sure [knock on wood] that I will be playing Assassin's Creed-Valhalla come November...and on the PC! It just make sense to me to do the GPU upgrade and then, once all the kinks are worked out with the consoles AND I have a great interest in playing on the console, that will be the XBOX. But, with the cross-platform MS is working out, I'll likely be playing much more on the PC than any console going forward.

We'll see.

Trusteft and Calliers like this.