GTX 460 Idle?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by synthesis204, Sep 8, 2010.

1. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

I just purchased a Sparkle GTX 460 1GB for use in my rig...I've put it through some benchmarking/stresstesting, and it seems to load at 64C and idle at 49C...everywhere else I have looked, it looks as though the idle should be in mid 30's. The ambient temp is about 23C - any ideas on why the high idle but regular load temp? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Forgot to add in - at idle, fan speed is at 40%. Never seen it go above 51%.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I've seen articles with idle temps as low as 32c, and as high as 52c. The problem is some cards use the reference cooler, some don't, some scores from the same manufacturer cards but from different sites are completely different, and some cards have different tolerances to voltage than others. However, the average temperature for reference cooler designed cards usually sit around 35C - 40C.

A few other things to consider would be overall case temps, case location (is your case recycling warm air it exhausts), if using Windows Vista/7 is Aero Peek or any 3D desktop functions enabled, and check to see if there are any background programs running that might be accessing the card. What most reviews don't say is what speed the fan was running, was the case open, what applications were running, where was the case sitting (desktop, floor, in the corner... where?), and so fourth, so I would take any temp scores you see as "relative".

If you want a more accurate idle temp do 2 things: 1) switch to Windows 7 Basic theme as this will turn off all the fancy desktop graphics, and 2) turn off all background apps you don't need (I've heard some people recommend turning off PhysX in the Nvidia Control Panel as well, but I haven't seen it change anything temp wise).

Oh, and one last thing. Over and over again, no matter how many of these cards I sell from the 460 to the 480s, every single time I keep seeing different applications of thermal paste on the cooler. With my GTX470 SC the thermal paste was waaay too thick, and none of it was in the gaps between the aluminum block and the heatpipes. On another card there was very little, while another card had the cheapest white or pink crap on it. This could also be a factor with your card, but unless you are willing to replace the thermal paste I wouldn't try taking the cooler off.

3. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Hi synthesis204,

Dont worry, your temperatures seem fine to me, just check ventilation of the case.

see this link regarding the temperatures of Sparkle GTX 460 768 MB, temperatures are similar
    SPARKLE GeForce GTX 460 768MB

Regards.

4. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    @asedsa: That's stating a 33C idle, while mine is 49C...don't really seem how that's similar. @Tipstaff:And I already am running on the Win7 basic theme (I always do) and only have antiviruses/antimalware/etc running the background. I'm not going to fuss over it since my old 260 and 8800GTX ran wayyyy hotter, but still a little disappointed/curious - the system as a whole is basically one giant exhaust with 2X 200mm fans for intake (cpu cooler, 3 other 120mm fans, psu) all are set to exhaust internal air, so I don't really think it should be an issue with temp inside the case.

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Run GPUz, go to the sensors tab, click "continue to monitor in the background" the leave the pc to idle for 5mins. Watch the core/mem in GPUz's sensor tab and see if they drop to something like 50/100 after a few mins.

6. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Seems to hover between 400-500Mhz for the core and 900Mhz constant for the mem. This is with Chrome running 2 tabs (nothing graphic intensive...basically just this site) with my antiviruses minimized/not scanning.

7. Stuart_Davidson

Yeah, you need to close chrome and leave the system properly idle at the desktop. AV is ok, as is Aero. But there shouldnt be any other significant apps open other than GPUz.

If it still doesnt drop down to 50/100 ish then either your driver isnt applying the power saving properly or Sparkle havent turned on power saving in the bios.

8. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Exact same results as with Chrome open- hovers between 400-500 (usually at 405) for the core, and constant 900 for the mem.

9. Stuart_Davidson

Sounds like either a driver issue or that Sparkle have disabled the power saving in their BIOS.

10. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

I'll try reinstalling the drivers...I'm pretty confident it's no the latter, since tests have shown this card/its 768 variant at mid 30s idling temp. Thanks for your help, Veridian.

Edit: Reinstalled the drivers. It's now idling at 46C instead of 49C, but the cores/mem are identical.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  11. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

I called up Sparkle tech support today (just as a note - 0 second wait time, guy was American, based out of California...that's a plus, at least...) to ask what was up with my card. They stated that their regular GTX 460 with no overclock idles at 40C (what? since when?) and that the overclocked version should idle at about 50C, which is where I am. My only comment is...it's a 25mhz overclock...and any other brand runs cooler. That's what I get for getting a small (relatively) company's product :/

12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Well, what they said is partially correct. They do have 2 cards: a 1GB version, and a 768MB version, with the 1GB being clocked at 700mhz, the other at 675mhz, so yes the reported temps at idle would be different between those 2 cards. That still doesn't explain the differences between your 1GB card having higher temps than a review of the SAME 1GB card by a review site, or that they say their 675mhz card idles at 40C when a reviewer had a temp of 33C with the same card.

Going back to the reviews for a second. If you take a look at the specs for the cards that have been reviewed you will see a wide range of setups, coolers, and default clock rates. A lot of the cards tested were reference cards clocked at 625mhz, so their temps would be drastically cooler than the one you have. Some had the newer centred fan cooler, while others had the old reference cooler that has a fan on the far right end (like the old 200 cards, and the newer GTX465-480s) that exhaust the air out of the case. Some cards were clocked at 675mhz, some at 700mhz. These normally have the newer fan on them. Some, like EVGA, clock their 1GB card at 720mhz with even higher clocks on their highly over-clocked cards. EVGA even sells cards with both fans just in case someone wants the external exhausting of the reference cooler (these are their EE cards).

Personally I wouldn't worry too much, if at all. The temps are still well within acceptable tolerances, and they're stable. If they climbed at idle, and kept going, then I'd be worried. If you want to you could manually adjust the fan to push out more air, or you could even try changing the thermal paste Sparkle has used to a better quality one. I would also try running your system with the side of the case off. Even if you have air coming in the front, and exiting the back, it may not "flow" that way. You may have negative air pressure, where you are trying to pull out more air than what is coming in. If the temps are lower with the side off then you might want to rethink the setup for your fans.

On the same note, I noticed you are using a Corsair H50. How do you have that setup? I know Corsair recommends setting up the fan/s to pull air in, blowing air over the rad, but it's been my experience to have it setup so that the fan pulls air out. Sure the CPU temps would be lower, but overall case temps would be higher. Not sure if that's the way you have it, but having the side off the case would also remove that as a possible cause of increased heat when looking at the temps.

13. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

The H50 has two fans pulling air out. It's a Storm Sniper case, thus, the walls are actually mesh with 200mm fans on them, so I wouldn't really think removing the mesh wall would lower temps, but I'll give it a shot. And I know it's within reasonable temps, but I'm a combination of bored and curious.

14. Hog54

Hog54 New Member

I have the Evga superclocked version of 460 With the reference cooler and mine idles between 28-30.But the core drops down to 50 when on the desktop.Anything that uses flash will keep your card from dropping down to 50.Mine is at 405 right now just being in this forum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  15. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Not to necro here, but I just figured I'd let anyone still caring know that running 2 monitors does seem to cause the card not to enter the idling state.

16. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Also, it seems to be a driver issue, as my 580 does not enter the idling state with two monitors attached.

17. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

I'm actually running Synthesis's GTX 460 right now. It's idling at ~45 Celsius with the fan speed at 40% with an overclock (775 on the core, 1550 on the shaders, 2000 on the memory). It might have just been something with the ventilation. My case has quite a few fans but they're all running at less than half power.

18. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

That's the thing.

My 580 is supposed to idle at 30ish (and does with only one monitor), but idles at 37 with dual monitors -- likewise, gpuz is reading that it's shaders/clock doesn't clock down while not doing anything. This is remedied by having only one monitor plugged in.

For my/your 460, the same is true -- for me it was idling at ~47, but with only one monitor attached it idled in mid 30s. Seems a bit weird.

19. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

Hmm, I'll unplug a monitor and give it a shot. That shouldn't make a difference because the card does downclock when not being used (405 mhz). It goes lower when the monitors turn off.

20. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

It should go to 50-100 when not doing anything. It's an issue with nVidia drivers, I have discovered.

Oh well.