Guess what arrived (surprise surprise the winnings) AMD DRAGON Kit

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Judas, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the highest overclock i've gotten on the 4400+ was using the A8R32-MVP which was able to hit 3ghz stable on air and 3.1ghz but unstable.

This was using a XP-90 copper cooler with a whole lot of airflow.... i didn't run it like that for long though.... i dropped it down to around the 2.5 area and left it there.... i'm not a fan of temperatures above 50*C

2. Judas

Thanks and i will!

Yeah cosair is indeed excellent from all the comments, unfortunately trying to get my hands on one is apparently quite difficult here. Not sure why.... But i was quoted 400 bucks in 3-4 weeks.... i passed out for awhile on that one.

It would be nice to get word from grace if she could take a look at the PSU listed by Coolermaster that are 1000watt+ and see what she thinks of them. 1000watt roundup would be also very nice at some point ;)

3. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Judas both NewEgg and NCIX have stock on the Corsair 1000w PSU

Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair HX1000W CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX 20/24PIN ATX 80A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 140MM Fan - CMPSU-1000HX In Canada.

NCIX has the better price and since they are in BC you would probably have the unit in 1-3 days max

I buy from both of those sites on a somewhat regular basis and have not had any issues that were not resolved in a timely manner

4. Judas

no.. ncix takes about 3 weeks minimum.... i've ordered several things from them... and the only thing i've NOT been screwed on is the XP-90 heatsink.... everything else.... screwed.. i've lost a little over 2500 bucks through newegg.ca/tigerdirect/ncix/so on and so forth...

Any issue i've had, never has gotten resolved.

And it all started with my first purchase of the Ultra-X Connect PSU that lasted 1 day short of 30 days... and neither ncix or ultra-X would allow for RMA or anything.

5. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

wow that sucks bro I have had successful RMA transactions with both outfits when needed. NCIX usually gets to my door in 3 days and NewEgg about 5 days

6. Judas

even amazon.ca which has been the fastest at shipping me anything.. even blowing the doors of Dell's express shipment that took a little over 4 weeks.... is 1 week with a leeway of about 2-5 days

7. Judas

my Coolermaster V10 arrived

shitty pictures i know ;)

Last picture is comparing a AMD Sempron 64bit CPU heatsink that's a little larger then average stock heatsinks (as it was in a HP machine)..... depth of the pictures makes the stock heatsink look larger due to being much higher then the v10 still lower down in the styrofoam molding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

refrigerator

9. lepel

lepel New Member

That thing is frikken HUGE! Sure you're not compensating for something else? Haha, just kidding.
    Make sure to take pictures of the installation and results!

10. Judas

technically ... not far from the truth considering there is a TEC unit built in that actually does work

11. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Nice thing Judas. Have fun with it ;)

12. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

the mothership has arrived !

13. Judas

and having a rather interesting time trying to assemble it

14. Judas

well i did pur OCZ instructions.... used a RICE sized drop of OCZ FREEZE on the center of the cpu and then mounted the V10...

i see no evidence of the freeze compound coming out the edges of the cpu.... (can clearly see the cpu itself

i'm very leary about this (I like to spread my own thermal paste)

15. Judas

Got the machine somewhat built... taking a breather after breaking my fingers trying to mount the motherboard in the case due to no room to do the top 3 motherboard screws.... my gaud ... trying to use 2 index fingers to turn the screwdriver is a pain... not sure how i'm going to get them tight yet, i need to get a super long extention for my screwdriver... OR a long as screwdriver...

you can't mount the damn V10 with the motherboard already in the case.... no way... no how

anyways... heres some shots of my transitions..... through the building process... none of the part where i'm mounting the heatsink itself.. cause you need to people to be able to do it and take pictures due to the way it all sits...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

oh boy, you aren't going to be over the moon with our review. you should have waited !

some great photos vance !

17. Judas

arn't going to be over the moon... hmm.... good thing or bad thing... or we'll just see?

(never heard the expresion over the moon..... apparently i'm not going to be "delighted".... )

hopefully my results are positive

thanks

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  18. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Judas, was there any paste supplied with your v10?

19. Judas

yes there was... first picture, on the left... in the center, it's the only with the big "Trial Package"

i opted for the ocz Freeze as i REALLY do want to see if i can get good results out of it.... this time i didn't bother trying to Spread the FREEZE around...

should i have used the supplied stuff ( i never have with any other heatsink)

20. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Ok cool, our review sample had the leaflet but no paste... was curious about yours.