Guild Wars-- Wowzers!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Koolaid, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Koolaid

Koolaid New Member

Well I recently got done playing the weekend beta event for guild wars and I just thought I'd post that this game is actually really fun to play for MMORPG addicted people like me. I will be cancelling my EQ2 and DAOC account to play this game. And the best part is... theres no monthly fee for Guild Wars. It has the best PvE PvP aspect that I have seen in a game so far.

Koolaid - OUT!

2. ReDGuiTaR

ReDGuiTaR New Member

Did you try "Risk Your Life" .. damn good PvP ... actually the better i have seen so far ... but im also waiting for guildwar to release .. looks like promising but i wonder how they will keep the server alive if no monthly fee...???

Still Guildwar was suppose to be instore for february but they just reshedule the date to late April ... arghh!!!

3. Koolaid

Koolaid New Member

No I have not tried RiskYour Life, .. I'll look into it. You can get a pre-order kit for 10 bucks from best buy to get a Key that will let you into the beta weekends to play Guild Wars. I didnt actually have to pre-order the game to get the pre-order kit. For only 10 bucks... its worth it to see how fun this game is... and how they pay for the .Net servers? I have no idea but it was created by the same people that pioneered Battle.net for diablo etc...

4. md5

md5 New Member

Seems to be a pretty good game, thanks for the heads-up :)

DAOC is a bit old now, a lot of the good players have stopped playing it, but I thought that EQ2 had a large community and that it's still a pretty good game to play

5. topbob

topbob New Member

risk your life is really bad
    ima play guildwars as well as wow :)

6. Koolaid

Koolaid New Member

I tried to get into EQ2, I think that most of the players that are there are simply caught up in the realm of the Everquest Way. And they simply do not want to lose thier online friends. Which is fine. But I hated EQ two. I quit EQ1 to play Dark Ages of Camelot. Which I am also quiting... (I think I said that... hee) There is just no content like I have found in Guildwars, this game is truely amazing to me. Not to mention the price increase on DAOC kinda hurtz my pocket book. Everquest 2 should have been called EverCraft 2. It seems to me half the game was built around the crafting way of life. yucky. Don't get me wrong about DAOC .. there is nothing like wasting an Albion. <<HIBERNIA RULES>> :rofl:

Hope some of you check this game out during their next beta event. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

7. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I like the idea of not having a monthly fee. That is the main thing keeping me from playing the damn type of game. So what is the catch, no future content, $100 box price? there has to be something, cause if it turns out to be a great condender, the other companies are going to have a tough time asking for $30 a month to play their games... at least I hope so.

8. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

First. GuildWars was never actually scheduled to be released in Feb. That was the retail store's assumption and they are not right most of the time.

GuildWars is made by the same people that created starcraft, warcraft, and the diablo series. They also created battle.net so I am betting that they know how to make sure that they are able to offer free online play. Part of this is their streaming technology which uses very small amounts of bandwidth to update only the files that have been changed.

GuildWars will have content updates just like every other MMORPG out there, but the catch is: They will make their money from the game sales and "expansion" packs that they have called chapters, which will add more content to the game. This is going to be a great game. :D

Finally there is a company that can benefit from their efforts without being greedy.

9. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

SOunds good to me, sign me up.

10. Koolaid

Koolaid New Member

You couldnt be more right. The thing is .. i'd rather pay the 25-30-40 bucks every few months or so for new game content than 20+ bucks a month to play any other mmorpg. These developers ARE highly intelligent. I only wish I had a quarter of their brains. Anyway if anyone wants to hook up with me during the next beta event let me know. It is totally playable solo (for quite a few 'chapters') ... but then... why play a mmorpg to play solo.

11. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Please add "Styleless Wonder", "Sabin Figaro", "Shin Strider Hiryu" or "Orochi Krizalid" for next BWE!

Got my GW pre-ordered since the first BWE. Awesome game.

12. Kemal

Kemal New Member

Most MMOs release content updated about every 1.5-2 months for 'free' and charge a monthly fee. Guild Wars will simply get rid of the monthly fee, and charge for every (optional) patch.

Don't get me wrong, I've played two beta weekends and enjoyed the crap out of it, but I suspect in the long run, you'll end up paying the same amount if you purchase all of the content updates.

13. Somnambulator

Somnambulator l33t

GW rocks. it's not quite an MMORPG and its not quite a traditional RPG. a pure blend of both. this can be seen by looking at the people behind the game: ex-Blizzard and NCSoft. obviously, Blizz is responsible for loads of RPG and RTS games laiden with RPG aspects. NCSoft is the largest game producer in the world largely in part by their EXTREMELY popular Lineage MMORPG games. L1 and L2 are the 2 largest online games in history, beating even CS (some 2+ million Lineage2 users alone). Blizzard knows how to make RPG games and NCSoft has a pretty good idea on what it takes to make a successful MMORPG.

while the beta weekends are great and usually have very stable GW builds, theres still a lot of tweaking, bugs, and to a lesser extent, content that has to make it in before retail. The GW community is HUGE for a game that just set its release date a week ago. there is already an official guild PvP ladder and basic and advanced strat guides for some really nifty character builds.

ive played Lineage2 and a TON of MMORPG betas, and ive got to say that no game has had more available playstyles than GW. the pure variations for each character is tremendous. with each character having 2 classes, each with 100+ available skills, and being limited to 8 skills per mission/pvp, it makes for some extremely unique characters.

examples:
    just using a warrior (melee/tank class) and disregarding its secondary class, you can have a hammer warrior, sword warrior, or axe warrior. then, each type can be geared towards different playstyles: pure tankage - boost HP and defense (goes well with Monk secondary for heals and selfbuffs); high dmg output - axe/sword w/ adrenaline-based attacks and DoTs (excellent with ranger/elementalist secondary); anti-caster - all 3 weapons get many spell/action interuptions/knockdowns (goes well with necro or mesmer secondary); support character - lots of shouts that increase defense, attack power, adrenaline, run speed, etc of close party members. plus, you can always use a little of each playstyle and make a well-rounded warrior.

elementalists can choose earth, air, water, or lightning attributes and do some serious dmg with each. each has AoE DD spells as well as interuptions. eles can do some insane damage, especially when combined with a ranger. add a monk secondary and youve got a healer with practically unlimited manna for heals and mends.

monks can specialize in healing/mending, buffs, or even DDing through their smiting prayers line.

Rangers can exclusively use traps (trigger actions, damage, condiions when stepped on. many are AoE), "nature" (charm a pet and use it to deal direct damage. can heal it, res it, and buff it), damage (DD skills, DoTs, cripple, AoEs). combine nicely with eles, warriors, and mesmers.

mesmers and necros are probbly the most interesting and harder to play classes.

mesmers can go either pure anti-caster with energy drains, interuptions (backfire = rocks), can even cancel spells and cause huge recharge delays, sometimes while stealing that spell and using it against them. combined with necro, below, and they have nasty debuff power.

necros can be a minion lord and raise minions from dead corpses, with plenty of skills and spells to go along with them, or DD with damage spells, or DoTs/conditions, or debuffs. necros get some nasty debuffs like AoE attack speed, armor, and damage output (combined with a mesmer they can stop people in their tracks. DoT > strip enchantment > attack speed debuff > cripple > energy tap > armor debuff > throw in a DD spell and many characters will be peeing their pants for heals/support)

mesmer/necro can also go pure DoTs as they have about 6 between the 2 of them. all non-identical DoTs stack, and they can kill people, not just take you to 1 health. you get a few dots off on someone and theyre need mending and heals badly (conjure phantasm + life transfer alone with decent attribute lines will be 9-10 degen alone. add in life syphon and another mesmer one for 2 each and thats 13-14 degen. insane health losses)

there are just so many good combos, and then so many playstyles within just those combos, that this game has some awesome pvp builds.

14. Somnambulator

Somnambulator l33t

yes, if you want the new expansions it will be roughly the same money over time. i like this better than monthly fees however, because i know im not "locked in" to playing that particular game for a time. if im paying 15/month to play an online game, im gonna play that game more than others, even if im not having as much fun with it at the moment. plus, like you mentioned, expansions for GW are encouraged but optional. for the most part, they are supposed to release more gear, maps, and missions and there will always be common ground with friends that have all the expansion and those that have none. they can still play and pvp together.

15. doxology83

doxology83 New Member

I have been playing GW since the first public test during E3 last year. They have changes stuff most of it for the better, I'm a ranger/monk and i have more fun playing it than a final fantasy game. they are suppose to put out expansion packs out every six months to make up for the monthly fee, plus they don't put people from other countries on seperate servers so so they keeps cost down as well and now final release date for april its going to be way cool.