Half-Life 2 - No bass

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by Chickow, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Chickow

Chickow New Member

Hi there,
    got a little problem: If I want to play Half-Life 2 with 5.1, the bass just doesn´t work and if I switch on 4 speakers in HL2, the bass just work sometimes. Tried to follow the support on steampowered.com but it doesn´t help.

I´ve got a sound blaster live player 5.1 bulk on a asus a7n8x-x

Thank you :)

2. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

Does it work with the speaker test?What model are your speakers?
    How are the speakers connected on the card (which jacks)?
    Did you set the windows speaker option to 5.1?

I have HL2 but it's not currently installed on my machine using the kX drivers because the video card is not powerful. I'll upgrade my video card soon and I'll install the game. I'll then test 5.1 sound. Your problem will probably be fixed by then but if it's not, I'll try to help you.

3. Chickow

Chickow New Member

Well, I´ve got a Tevion/Medion 5.1 from Aldi. It works fine everywhere, but not in HL2 or CSS. I´ve tried everything, also the CSS Soundtest, but it won´t work. windows speaker and kx project options are both on 5.1. Boxes are connect with the subwoofer and the subwoofer with the soundcard, so I can´t connect the boxes directly with the soundcard´.

I´ve read, that I´m not the only one with the problem, but everybody says, that I have to use the original drivers of my soundcard, but they just don´t work...

I hope you can help me.

4. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I installed HL2. I set the speakers to 5.1. I have no sound from the subwoofer. I tried to find console commands that could be useful.

I used :

snd_show 1

It displays the volume of each channel. On my pc with the kX drivers it shows volume for five speakers. It does not show volume for the subwoofer. I sent the sound that goes to the front speakers to a audio spectrum analysis software. It showed low frequencies. The game is not filtering the sound to separate the low frequencies from the front, center and rear speakers. I don't know if the game would create a sixth channel containing the bass with the creative drivers.

When using the kX drivers with HL2, you need to use bass redirection. It will extract the bass from the five channels and send it to the subwoofer. That's what I think.

5. mistan

mistan New Member

i get bass from my sub in the kx speaker test and also the test in css/hl2 but i just dont get any bass while in game in either. i have bass redirection enabled also and its still a no go.
    i have a SB Live! 5.1 Digital by the way.

6. JohnMcClane

JohnMcClane New Member

bass redirection does NOT work for multi-channel content. you have no other option than adding a crossover (4th or 2nd order) to the front speakers to do bass-redirection

7. jagjonas

jagjonas New Member

Where and how do you add a crossover and what effect will it have on the sound (other than the bass)?

/ Jonas (newbie)

8. JohnMcClane

JohnMcClane New Member

http://members.inode.at/m.lodin/1.jpg

using a crossover could look like this. you can use it instead bass-redirection of surrounder and it has no other effects on your sound.

just join the two low outputs from crossover with mono mix and connect them to epilog (or k2lt) lfe output

9. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Hi. I have the same issue and would like to learn what this crossover is and how to make it work in kX. Please help.

10. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Found them in latest 3538m release.