Halo 2 PC @ CVG

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Vikingod, May 14, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: CVG
    We got a raw deal from Halo. Where there should have been wonder there has been disappointment. Where there should have been one of the greatest PC games of all time, there has been a moderately entertaining shooter.

You might recall that there was a time before the Xbox, a time when Halo seemed like the saviour of FPS gaming on the PC: beautiful, vehicular space-war with burning energy weapons, roaring vehicles, proudly chromed aliens, all wrapped up within a mysterious ringworld sci-fi mythology. We were so excited, so sure that this would lead us into perfected escapism. Way back, a month before I'd even started working on the mag, PC Gamer revealed the world's first look at Bungie's project. "Halo Gorgeous," Gillen punned, breathlessly. "It's just f**king cool." It promised so much.

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Well that's certainly the most honest review of Halo 2 for PC.

3. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

Finally an honest review of Halo 2. I've always thought this series was way too overrated. For anyone used to PC FPS Halo brings nothing to the table worth mentioning.

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

All the console gamers I know worship Halo 2 and it's totally off limits to question its greatness. Now that I've got a chance to see what the fuss is all about the gloves will be off :D

As for the review itself, I even felt the same way during Halo on PC. I managed to get maybe halfway through it before it became repetitive and boring. I'm still looking forward to Halo 2 despite my prior experience...maybe the hype rubbed off on me.

5. Zeph

Zeph New Member

He's nailed it with this review. Just as with Halo 1's port to PC, Halo 2 Vista is just a port. Of course it has a few graphical and model updates since the xbox version's was incredibly low, but it's still a port of a two and a half year old game. I honestly dont know why some people are expecting it to be comparable to truly-new titles. You wont be seeing as many dedicated servers either. You have to register a dedicated server with a product key if you want it to connect to hte live network. So basically, dedicated server fees for Halo 2 Vista will have an additional 50 USD tacked on.

Also, there has been no PR for this title whatsoever. The game was supposed to be out a week ago and there STILL hasn't been an official announcement about it from Microsoft. Bungie doesn't care about it, with the attitude of 'if it's not a game we're making, we wont be talking about it'. Ironically, they talk about other games, such as Gears of War and Shadowrun. If you guys are interested about more from this title, click on my sig and read up on some of the news threads. There's a good amount of discussion from people who are veterans with Halo's engine.

6. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

But the thing is its not even as good as HL2 which is just as old. Or FEAR which is a year and half old. He said it was boring and drab. I have an xbox and I bought into the Halo hype and was dissapointed by Halo myself. I'd rather play HL 1 than a Halo game. They are just way too overrated.

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Your sig doesn't have a hyperlink attached...I'm gonna check out that site though I'm especially interested in how this game performs on older hardware.

8. Zeph

Zeph New Member

Hmm, it used to have it attatched. That's odd, because there are many hits on it from this site. *fixes sig*

OmegaRED, if you meet minimum requirements, you can run the game exactly as it was for the xbox at an as-of-yet undetermined resolution. From what I've gathered across its development, it will probably be whatever your monitor's max is. Any higher quality hardware will give it higher settings.