Has anyone successfully installed Vista from a USB stick/drive?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by mkk, Sep 13, 2008.

1. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'm sick of using discs for installing operating systems and have been trying to put the installation files on a USB stick and a USB drive. This is the guide that I've been using as a template: Kurt Shintaku's Blog: HOWTO: Install Windows Vista from a high speed USB 2.0 Flash Drive and it seems sound. I get no errors while performing those operations.

The fact that I've needed more storage space than 4GB due to the size of a Vista x64 installation might perhaps be an added obstacle for the motherboards boot handling or otherwise, but I'd like to hear success stories for sub 4GB installations just as well. What method did you use? Upon trying to boot on the prepared USB media I either get a big nothing beyond the motherboard boot select menu, or an invalid partition table message.

(Edit: Edit2: Incorrect assumption in edit, de-edited...)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

To answer your question. No.

Let me ask you this. Are you needing this for work? If so do you have a windows 2003 server? You can install Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and you won't need a USB install since most network cards are PXE bootable now.

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Why are you needing more than 4GB? Have you Vlited that and installed extra 'goodies'?

I have working Vista64 SP1 and Vista32 SP1 USB Sticks. I used that same guide that you linked to, and it worked with no problem.

I have also installed XP and XP64 usint a tool called MULTIBOOT. You can find it at this link:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-install-XP-from-USB-t111406.html

It appears that with the latest version, MultiBoot10, that you can have Vista and XP both on the same USB device.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

It's not really over 4GB it's actually just that the 4GB stick's I have provide a pinch too little storage. I tried making a true 4GB partition on a USB hdd that I have and it generates the same error as a >4GB stick so I'm leaning towards there being a problem related to the motherboards' booting capability. I'll check up on that multiboot method and try that out in case it would make a difference. Thanks.

And thanks for the tip EcPercy, I was mostly looking to have a Vista installation in my pocket.

5. leezaal

leezaal New Member

Iv'e managed to install xp and vista 32bt from my 8gb sandisk cruzor micro usb stick but the 64 bt versions wont install, as i get a boot error. Must be a 64bt problem.

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum leezaal. I'll have to try starting up on a stick with 32bit Vista just for fun, without any intention of installing. :)

7. raiden

raiden New Member

I may be new to the forum...but take my advice.it's better to do it by the old-fashioned way of cds.better by that way.no hurries no worries.so skip it.

8. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

It all depends on how much time you want to devote to installing an OS.

I do beta testing for HyperOS, and do multiple installs of XP and Vista in both 32 and 64 bit versions. When I'm testing HyperOS I may do 50-100 OS installs in one week...I don't want to be 'too old to care' by the time it's done.

An XP install from USB takes about 16 minutes. Vista installs see a similar decrease in time needed for the install. MOST of this is due to the fact that the data can be read/copied from the USB stick MUCH faster than from a CD/DVD. Also, it makes it possible to install Vista on a system that doesn't have a DVD reader.

Another thing to be aware of is that VISTA can be installed from within WINDOWS. So, if you are doing a muti-boot system you can copy the Vista DVD to your HDD, and install it from there. Also, that makes making a dual boot XP/Vista system a lot easier. Install XP first, then install VISTA. By installing XP first, then Vista, Vista over-rides the XP boot system, and you don't have to 'fix' the boot system after the 2nd OS install like you do if you install Vista first.