Haunted Android Tablet

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by IvanV, Jun 27, 2021.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Better half's visiting grandparents have an Android tablet. It's an Alcatel that their ISP gave them for free with subscription, so, pretty basic, 1GB RAM, Android 8 or 9 (I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I'm opening a thread and can't remember the exact model, but it's late, I'll ask tomorrow).

The complaint (well, one of them) was that it "repeated the conversations" that the two old folks had (they thought they might have been hacked and eavesdropped on). The conclusion that my brother in law and I made was that they inadvertently recorded themselves, but we couldn't find the recording, neither in the app nor anywhere in storage. The only sound files we found were a couple of "built in" sound effects. Having fiddled with the device for a bit, we gave up, thinking that, well, if there had ever been a recording, it was somehow gone. We held on to that belief until yesterday when, as the BIL rebooted the tablet while investigating some other issue, the device played back the conversation in question as some kind of weird boot up sound! Unfortunately, that didn't help us find the recording (wife and I had a barbecue with them so I was there too) and on subsequent reboots, we did not get the recording anymore!

It's not a critical matter, but I'm really curious what on Earth is going on, so any ideas are welcome!

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

3. IvanV

That image doesn't appear to be public.

Pending confirmation, I think that the tablet is an Alcatel 1T 10.

4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Not really adding anything useful but here is the gist of the image I originally posted that wasn't public, this time I hosted it on a public hosting site.

[​IMG]

IvanV likes this.
  5. IvanV

Yeah, that kind of seems on topic.

The charging issues returned and that tablet was crappy when it was new anyway, so the brother in law bought them a new one. I'm not sure if he kept this one, if he did we might take another crack at it just to see what was going on.

Calliers likes this.