Have aboslutely no Idea What are the best mice and keyboard for gaming ? Options

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mirey86, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Mirey86

Mirey86 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  2. Nachbrenner

Nachbrenner New Member

Check out products from Logitech
    I'm using mouse and joypad from them since years w/o problems.
    Drivers are already on Windoes install CDs, so you don't have to care about that.

My keyboard is from Microsoft for 12€, good enough for me.

btw keep in mind that you can't access BIOS with a USB keyboard

3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

its all subjective m8 one guys fab mouse will be another guys nightmare mouse i agree with Nachbrenner though i use the Logitech mouse and board and love them

some though will recommend MS some will swear by Razor it all down to what you try and like

4. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I like Logitech and my brother enjoys his Razer set A LOT

I will guarantee one thing.....Razer is cheaper generally.

I use the (real) Logitech G15 (old BETTER) model and a G7 mouse but im thinking that that particular combo is a little out of your price range? maybe?

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Logitech usually have great keyboards. Nice soft keys, very responsive, and the key buttons like the return, left and right shift/ctrl/alt keys are where they should be, and of normal/standard size. Logitech's desktop mice are nice, but their laptop mice are seriously lacking. I tend to stay away from wireless mice for gaming as they can sometimes be too heavy, and there can be response delay in certain situtations.

My combo? Logitech G15 keyboard with a Logitech G5 mouse. I particularly like the G5 as it has a weight system, so you can customize the weight of the mouse to your liking. Other ones I liked from them are the older MX518 which you can still find, however the price is usually the same as the G5. Your best bet is the G3. It has all the features of the G5, but without the weight system. Logitech doesn't make it anymore, so whatever is out there is all that's left. Problem is retailers like Futureshop sell the thing for way too damn much ($60), but if you check other online retailers, such as NCIX, you can find it for around $30-40.

Speaking of which, your choice of retailers, is it limited to the fact that you can go there in person? The reason I ask is that it is usually better to grab from an online retailer. NCIX, for instance, is in BC, and they don't charge GST on any of their stuff, plus they tend to sell things at a reasonable markup above their cost price.

Oh, and don't forget that having a good gaming mouse needs a good gaming mouse pad. People usually splurge on the device, but forget the surface they are going to use them on. Trying to use a mouse that has 2000dpi sensitivity, and snot slick feet on a black mouse pad made to grip a balled mouse, definitely not a good combination.

6. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

probably outside your budget a bit but I really rate the logitech G9 laser mouse. rather costly though.

7. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Looks like any set at that price is a compromise.

Looking at Tiger direct, if you went for a G5 mouse at $60.99, that leaves $14 for a keyboard

At Premier, G5 is $44.99, so that leaves $30 to splurge on the keyboard, or THEY have the G3 at $39.99, but do you really want to save $5 by doing without the weight system?

Or start with a gaming keyboard such as:
    Ideazon Zboard ZBD-101 USB Gaming Keyboard $47.99
    Saitek Eclipse Keyboard - USB 2.0, 104 Blue Backlit Keys $48.99
    And you have $26-27 to play with for a mouse
    Prolynkz PLM-618 Laser Mouse - 6-Button, USB in Canada at TigerDirect.ca - might be a worthy contender, a laser mouse, type "gaming mouse", for $15.99 - looks hard to beat if you let the keyboard lead your choice.

Cyber Snipa S.W.A.T. USB Optical Gaming Mouse CSLMSW01 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca - Cyber Snipa Swat mouse, limited stock at $30.99

If you could go a little higher, them maybe the G3 mouse from Premier and one of the two cheaper gaming keyboards from Tiger - it's the only way you'll get "gaming-class" components for each.

Either that, or get one really good component, such as a G5 gaming mouse and a throwaway keyboard, or the gaming keyboard and the cheap Prolynx laser (gaming) mouse.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

IMO best combination ever is:

G9 logitech mouse with a Microsoft Erganomic 4000 keyboard....

if the g9 is to much, the REV2 of the G5 isn't bad... but man the G9 is so damn good..

Hopefully logitech makes a slightly larger mouse then the G9 yet... i'm still smothering the mice, need something bigger.... my hands are just to damn big apparently.

9. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

weird though... the guy who said you can't access a BIOS with a USB keyboard...
    I've accessed the BIOS on several machines using several different kinds of USB keyboards and mice (including RF and BT ones)...

Anyways I game with the G15 keyboard (could get it real cheap now that it's "old") from Logitech as well as the MX Revolution (sorry that's kind of expensive but you can always try to find it on special for less than 50)

10. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

I can second what Tipstaff noted about wireless - keyboard in my case. The MS Wireless 4000 I got caused nasty pauses in UT3, but the wireless mouse that came with it is working decently (and I like my mouse lightweight) - wired USB keyboard is fine with this mainboard and Vista 64 Ultimate.

11. jp306

jp306 New Member

I have to say that I love my Logitech MX518se mouse($40 at Target, but I've seen it on sale there for $30, after I got mine of course...) . It has had a major impact on my PC gaming experience. I use a cheap keyboard I got from newegg like 5 years ago for $10 shipped. I might have just got lucky with the keyboard though, but for me it's not near as important than the mouse. I did buy a Saitek eclipse a few months back, but took it back because it just didn't impress me like I thought it would. My GF did have the same Saitek keyboard though and she loved it... So I would go type on some display models and just try to see what you like and feels good to you.

12. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I have had that problem mostly with ECS boards paired with keyboards like the G15 for some reason they do not play well. Also, slightly older boards have this distinct problem. I remember when I first bought my G15 when they came out and I had to keep a ps/2 keyboard plugged in and tucked away for when I needed to get into the BIOS

13. Judas

i've seen a good number of boards with rediculious issues with USB keyboards...

but in todays day and age... it's really a non fact at this point...

14. Nachbrenner

Nachbrenner New Member

Actually it was a while ago when i tried BIOS access with USB keyboard.
    I'm surprised that manufacturers don't advertise that as a "feature" now.

I assume when manufacturers will be using EFI instead of BIOS it won't be an issue in future.

15. Judas

i look forward to EFI as well as have a great concern for it

16. Nachbrenner

Nachbrenner New Member

17. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I use a Saitek Eclipse 1 with red backlighting, and a Razer Krait. perfect for me.
    Heh, the WSAD keys are scratched to hell on this board, the other ones seem fine. lol