Have you moved to Vista yet?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Stuart_Davidson, Apr 24, 2008.

?

Have you moved from XP to Vista?

1. Yes

127 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. No

177 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Will move in the next 3 months

16 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

Built a new rig in November '07. Installed vista x64 ultimate and that was it for me.
    Why install a 6-year old OS when you can install the latest one?

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Running Xp SP3 and will continue to do so until games aren't slower on Vista. I pretty much need to upgrade the cpu and ram to get anything out of Vista so for now I'm dual booting.

3. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

Well... Some of the applications which I use on Linux for serious work is: using GIMP for photo editing and stuff like that. Although, I know that this application exists for Windows and I know that it is working fine. I really like Linux because of it's rock solid stability. Sometimes I have experienced that my WindowsXP machine crashes and that the Linux machine don't. And it's not fun working on things when the system just goes down. That's what I mean by being able to work seriously with Linux.

4. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Wrong, i'd love to move to the 64 bit version of vista because i'd love to fully utilise my memory and be able to render like x2 faster with C4D x64.
    However the forced driver signing is so damned intrusive i can't get a single device working on my system. I followed a method on the web to use command prompt which should fully disable the driver signing checks but even this failed and windows was screaming at me for trying to use an unsigned driver on it.

I also tried using the F8 disable driver signing thing and that failed somehow, unless microsoft completely do away with driver signing then i'm not oging to bother with the 64 bit offerings.

how do you guys disable driver signing if you do? I might try 64 bit again at some point if i can find a reliable way of doing it.

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

If you have SP1 installed then the driver signing can't be disabled at all.

6. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

I voted no coz am running XP X64 and it kicks all the way from here to there!:evil: What are the main advantages of vista over XP? I never really got into the Hype.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

a few days ago i watched a discovery channel show about the Beijing new airport terminal,
    and there was a test running show on the very hugh passenger baggage systems, it came to my surprise, well, if i were not mistaken, i saw a few times on several monitors that, the OS's that were in use by the system in monitoring the baggage systems was XP's.
    i kinda figured and assumed that the whole system were not based on XP, but i mean with that kind of know-how and a very, very high investment costs, i'm still wondering, what makes them choose XP's over other OS's.

8. Paladin06

Paladin06 New Member

No, and I have no plans to.

9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

haha that's exactly what i did... but for different reasons, moved to OSX so I could get a newer version of Logic running so I could ditch XP once and for all

10. GeneralClaymore

GeneralClaymore Active Member

Been using Vista for a long time now, And I dont regret it at all. I only installed Xp on another partition so I can use my XtremeTv turner.

When I get time I just gonna slap in my Msi tv turner which does have Vista 64 drivers,and get rid of my Xp partition for good.

11. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

Have been using Vista x64 for some time now. Really like having all 8GB RAM back :p.

On laptops - still prefer XP though, on Desktops, very happy with Vista

12. PC_Inquisitor

PC_Inquisitor New Member

I tried Vista Ultimate in my main rig but... comaptibility issues and the lack of full support for my sound card (Audigy 2 ZS Platinumo Pro) made me return to XP...
    Today, with SP3 out, I'm thinking keep myself on XP a long long time

XP Rules!!

13. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

Nice to read that people prefer XP towards Vista. Vista looks good outside, but inside... it's a bad operating system. To be honest I don't know so much about Vista as someone in this thread already has mentioned(I confess!), but XP works really good with all the latest patches which has been installed into XP. I have had bad experience from XP in the past and I have had many bad crashes(ouch!), but nowadays it works really good! I haven't had a serious crash for several months! I don't know what they have done, but XP feels far more stable today than what it did last year.

Is Vista better than Windows XP when it comes to the total memory it can handle? Anyone knows good facts about this?

14. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

This is a good question that I would also like to know the answer to. Any one out tyhere who can help?

15. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Vista Ultimate, Business and Enterprise x64 can handle up to 128 Gb of memory if my memory serves me right. And Home Basic up to 8Gb and Home Premium up to 16Gb. Note that they all are 64-bit versions of Vista. The 32-bit is limited to 4Gb.

16. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

This means that people need to get Windows Vista Ultimate in order to have an operating system which can handle as much RAM as Linux has been to handle for years... Ridiculous.

The standard version of Vista should offer what the ultimate version can offer.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  17. blkskull

blkskull New Member

Vista

I bought a copy when I built my new system. I had problems immediately and they never stopped. I gave it two months and after two months of constantly fighting with it I went back to XP 32, I may in the future go to XP 64. As far as Vista I don't know if I'll ever go back, maybe I'll wait for Windoz 7 but the one positive thing I can say about Vista is it's the prettiest piece of garbage you'll ever buy.:lol:

18. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Don't forget Microsoft will likely lift the restrictions of how much a system can handle via service packs in the future.

Same way that It lifted the restrictions on windows xp home edittion from being able to create and install itself on an NTFS system.

19. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Does normal user need 128 GB of RAM?? No! I think that the current limits are good enough for the avarage joe and his needs...

20. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

Perhaps.. perhaps. :D