Have you moved to Vista yet?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Stuart_Davidson, Apr 24, 2008.

?

Have you moved from XP to Vista?

1. Yes

127 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. No

177 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Will move in the next 3 months

16 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

Ok I have used Vista for about a week now full time and I have to disagree with all these people saying that Vista blows. (not on driverheaven just in general)

The only problem that's not really a problem at all is that I had to run Teamspeak and Battlefield 2 in Admin mode for it to work online, but it was easy enough to not even care.

It runs my games fine and I am even on a laptop. It is SUPER STABLE. Sure some programs lock up but the fact that only the program does and not the entire OS is something that I love.

Also how quick it is just doing stuff on the OS.

I have SP1 and never used it without it so I don't know what it is like, but DAMN Vista is way way better than XP IMO.

There is 0 reason so far and I hope it stays that way for me to say I am switching back to crappy XP.

That's to bad Microsoft released Vista when it did to get the bad rep it did. If they released with all the features of SP1 I bet it would not have got half the shit that it does.

2. SSilence

SSilence New Member

Moved on Vista as soon as it was available, and installed the SP1 a week after it was released. I'm never turning back.

3. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

Its also pretty sweet to use Ultimate and have a nice SCO dev shell. Compiling my code right in vista is good to me.

I love Vista so far, much better performance, and real memory management = good times.

4. Blazer

Blazer Tweeker

I have been using Vista 64 since before it's official launch, and have had no qualms about it to think of, with the exception of activation problems with various builds

Calliers likes this.
  5. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Vista is so much fun especially for programmers/gamers like me. Its job and I quote "is to prance around gaily in its pretty little dress while you're trying to do your work" I have vista but I'm a programmer and I need my virtual mem for more important things like ripping my movies so I can have an extra copy(legally ofcourse). Using photoshop, netbeans 6.0, phptriad ....... Stuff I need for the office.

I guess if you want a dress for your computer, Vista is the OS for you, unfortunately my pc aint gay. So .....

6. xxs1nz

xxs1nz New Member

They should of had a Yes and No answer for the poll because I just bought a Fujitsu laptop and all new laptops have Windows Vista on them. Some features in windows vista are cool but they do not make up for all the downsides to the new OS. But I keep it on my laptop and just installed Windows Xp as well! I do not even run Windows Vista with all the shinny interface options I strip it back down so it looks and feels like Windows Xp but it still does not help in some areas such as playing games. So in the end I would still stick with Windows Xp if I had to choose a Miscrosoft OS.

7. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Most OEM's are putting Vista 32 on the machines, and XP seems a better 32 bit OS for a lot of people. Vista 64 is generally better than most 32 bit systems ( I still use XP64 and think it is great) Unfortunately it seems that even Microsoft realizes that Vista 64 is Microsoft's future in the OS arena, and as such they seem to be focusing resources toward Vista 64. XP64 is not quite orphaned. 32 bit systems still have strong security support, but not to many "make it nicer" add-ons

I think Toshiba is using Vista 64 as of late.

8. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

Circumstances forced me to move to Vista. When I built my current system I moved 2 SATA ROM drives over from a system with an Intel chipset. I was using Windows XP MCE 2005 and almost immediately began getting BSODs that traced back to the Nvidia SATA driver. Fortunately I had a copy of Vista, which Microsoft was so gracious as to "give" me for actively participating in the beta. So I didn't have to spend a bunch on money to see if the Nvidia SATA drivers for Vista were better. The result is that I haven't had a BSOD since. I've had to replace several of my programs, because the older versions didn't work with Vista. But there simply wasn't any other acceptable solution at that time. Since then I've been progressively getting used to Vista... though I may not really "like it".

9. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Without a doubt Vista is different, I don't think that people new to computing are having trouble, more the enthusiasts and tweakers, Vista just does not behave the same way as XP. If you are used to XP it takes time to warm up to Vista as it is so similar, yet different. I'm happy with Vista anyways.

10. tanka12345

tanka12345 New Member

I would move to Vista, but my PC wouldn't be able to handle it, and if it could it'd be much slower than XP. I am trying to save up for a new PC, and I'll get Vista on that - although it'll take more than 3 months. I currently use Xp Home Edition SP3.

11. Gascogne

Gascogne New Member

Moved over to Vista when it was released, start of 2007. :)

12. Bart1987

Bart1987 New Member

I currently have a dual boot system with windows xp professional and windows vista business 64bit, but I prefer windows xp, I like a clean windows without all the gadgets and I don't like all the warning messages you get from vista when you try to change things. I'm sure you can change all that, but I can't be bothered right now, because xp works fine

13. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Those warnings you get can be disabled quite easily.It oly takes a few moments.

Goto the control panel and select User Accounts and you should see the option for Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off.It does require a reboot afterwards.

14. Bart1987

Bart1987 New Member

I did that already, but still, I'm so used to windows xp. I guess I just need to use windows vista some more and get used to it.

15. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Ok... Im the opposite.I find Vista far better than XP ever was..So much clear and more modern..But i do think the 64Bit version is far quicker to use than the 32bit os.

Im not Knocking XP as that was a good os in its day..just difference of opinion.

16. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Welcome to Driver Heaven....

I guess I just feel the need to support Bill Gates Lifestyle

17. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

How can you find an operating system that needs 2GB of RAM to be modern? :confused:

18. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

That was true of all Windows OS and to some extent Linux and the rest are not immune to bloat.

Windows 95 was suspposed to only need 8 Meg if I recall, but it really needed 32, XP was going to be fine on 128 but 512 became the new standard and many of us went to a Gig. So if that is true, then 2 Gig is okay with me (But I use 4) and I'll call it modern.

19. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

How come? I'm using 32-bit at the moment and I have nog troubles at all. I can't imagine that is can even be a lot faster...

But maybe I could switch to 64-bit and get 4GB RAM (2 atm). Maybe that should be an improvement... :cool:

20. Knight_Breed

Knight_Breed New Member

Well you are dealing with an operating system within X64 that is set to handle 4G of RAM or more. The 32 bit OS is set to utilize no more than 2.5G and with today's increasing requirements it might soon become a necessity and not just a choice.

I have had no OS run faster than Ultimate X64 and with I7 processors out and DDR3 RAM being utilized better I soon think 4G will become a minimum requirement with games and other software ...