Have you seen the news about what is happening in Australia?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Olivia11, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Olivia11

Olivia11 New Member

Have you seen the news about what is happening in Australia? This is terrible. The ecology of our planet is just in a terrible state, and I think it's people's fault. Soon environmental disasters will be the norm.

arb65912 likes this.
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

If only we actually had a better understanding of how climate and the environment actually functions. Sadly what is constantly spat in our faces by government and the general avenues of media from so-called scientists usually parroting nonsense, that actually do know things are being benched indefinitely.

It's often proposed that trees are the number one thing for producing oxygen, this apparently is quite false, even though it's common understanding that during the day they consume carbon and spit oxygen and during the night spit carbon and consume oxygen. While it's often been believed that the net oxygen gain was substantial, more recent detail long term studies now suggest otherwise, at best it's a net neutral result, not positive.

If climate was a serious thing, governments would ground planes, dry dock cruise ships, and completely outlaw mass production of products that are the most common producer of any kind of problems.

Initially when proposals for a carbon tax in canada were being drafted in the early 2000's, the result of the carbon tax would end up paying out to farmers substantial amounts along with some of the forrestry companies, urban dwellers and majority of the rest of the industry would be paying all out. This was deemed unacceptable. Instead the final draft that went into law here basically hammers farmers hard and forces urban dwellers or existing rural residence to pay up a pretty sizable amount while pretty much every other industry gets to waltz around doing nothing, often getting credits back. The other major problem is that no one seems to know where the money is going, it's just "vanishing" for the most part, sure a little bit of seems to trickle into thing that don't appear to be for anything to do with climate, but people keep coughing up the money, and hell canada's idiotic supreme court just ruled that it was "constitutional" for the tax to remain even though they couldn't prove what/where that money was going.

Some of the LOUDEST people bitching about the climate and environment and blaming all the people that came before them... greta syndrome "how dare you".... are some of the WORST violators and biggest hypocrites. It's honestly amusing at this point. They don't grow their own food, they don't even try and avoid buying anything from any company that is by far some of the biggest contributors to the problem, they continue to use the devices and toys and tools and wear the clothes and so on and so forth. They tend to blame the common folk and never take after the real threats. Greta is nothing but a puppet, like the millions of other people that believe and follow her or others like her or the narrative being spread.

arb65912 likes this.
  3. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

That was an interesting read.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

My favorite part is Apple. All the talk about saving the environment, yet they make their products non user repairable, no parts replaceable and end up sooner or later in the garbage instead of having that small part repaired/replaced to have the computer run for many more years to come. Not even including shutting down older still 100% working devices from running later versions of the OS and software, just because.

5. Judas

apple.... ford... doesn't matter...

Nearly every company in the world complies with the forced obsolescent of physical hardware/products, and if it can be done via software, that's simply genius.

In the past, automakers and specially in agricultural, it was illegal for companies to stop production of parts and support for a product sold for several decades, if i recall i think it was 30 years minimum, on top of that, they were mandated to make it affordable and for the most part, customer friendly within reason for them to repair.

By the mid 80's, that started to fall away, regulation and government involvement in that infrastructure started crumbling and by basically end of the 90's when california basically got their fat ass fully into the picture, much of which with the big corp tycoons from the oil and car and other industries, they pretty much mandated obsolesce. Want to try and repair a vehicle in north america... yeah good luck on anything in the last 20 ish years, specially if you live in a province or state that requires frequent emissions checks along with countless other measures often propagated as "for public safety and climate". What a bloody joke, the whole implementation of DEF on diesel vehicles for instance is polluting significantly more than without, it's also seriously fucking up exhaust systems and engine costs among other things. Plus DEF is a complete pain in the ass for sub 0 temperatures.

Pretty much ANYTHING that is claimed to be for the environment, is short sighted, PR nonsense, and modern government works off the virtue of appealing to the environmentalists and the public opinion (OPINION) of positive PR as well for their re-election or simply to throw a toy at the public to keep them happy even if it's completely counter productive.

Really, and i've been saying this for decades now, it's a royal fucking jokes. The Watchmen's Comedian level world level joke.

6. Sammy00

Sammy00 New Member

I think that in order to improve the state of the environment, it is necessary to strengthen control. Any action that harms the environment must be severely punished, only then will there be an improvement. There is a nuclear power plant near my city. And it seems to me that no one monitors the amount of radiation in the environment. I bought a dosimeter like that https://ecotestgroup.com/products/terra-p-2/ , and sometimes I measure radiation in different parts of the city. And often the level is above normal, and it scares me.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    arb65912 likes this.
  7. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I agree, many things are not regulated and they should be, like the plant emissions you described.

8. Judas

Nuclear power is one of the ... actually if i recall the statistics... it is in fact the safest and cleanest form of power generation on the planet atm with the lowest deaths and impacts over all others.

Carbon footprint and other factors, a modern nuclear plant can be safer than a lithium battery and now that they can make micro nuclear plants suitable for operating a single farm or factory or what have you, that eliminates massive costly facilities as well with individual systems that are fool proof (impossible to melt down)... and would only need to be serviced once every 25 years give or take on power utilization.

I'd much rather have micro nuclear than coal/natural gas systems doing the job.

Fusion would be nicer.. . And i'm all for hydro/solar. Wind power is a bloody joke.

9. clubrope

clubrope Active Member

I very much agree with your insights.