Having FPS Problems In Counter-Strike (ATI RADEON 9600)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by !LLu$!0N, May 24, 2006.

1. !LLu$!0N

!LLu$!0N New Member

Hey, i'm new around here and i seen this site and thought this place maybe very useful for me, anyway i'm having some very annoying FPS problems in CS 1.6, basically i haven't got a very good computer but it is enough to run and play Counter-Strike smoothly with little glitches (I think) that's why i'm here just to see if i should be getting 100 FPS or not.

First off i will give you a list of my computer specs. (I'll keep it simple unless you need more details)

OS - Windows Microsoft XP Home Edition
    CPU - Intel, 1.8GHz (Packard Bell)
    RAM - 512MB

So i have an ATI RADEON 9600 but haven't got a clue what FPS i should be getting? i have tryed most things and got quite a bit of help from some friends but hasn't never boosted it. I normally have 60 FPS and drops to 20+ in open spaces (I have had 80 fps in the past so i don't know whats gone wrong). So today i have uninstalled all the ATI drivers and just wondered if anyone knew the best driver to install? (Someone told me they downloaded an ATI driver which is an old version, Made in September or something.

If you need anymore details i will greatly re-post them, if someone could help i would apreciate it, thanks again.

!LLu$!0N

2. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Hey Illusion, I'm not sure what motherboard you have but it is always a good start to make sure that your motherboard drivers are installed first before you proceed to install your vga card drivers. Also make sure that your previous ati card drivers are uninstalled "properly" and the best way to do that, is too use a program called Drivercleaner which can be found here @ www.drivercleaner.net. After you've done that, make sure that all corresponding settings for your vga card are set properly, first make sure that you AGP Aperture size is set correctly, in most cases using 128 Meg is optimal, the next thing you want to do is enter your motherboard bios settings and disable AGP Fastwrites, I have heard that with the 9600 series of ati cards that leaving this enabled gives more stability too the card so you can try both, but in most cases this creates more problems then helps with any kind of performance increase especially with older ati cards. I would also make sure that you have the newest driver set from ATi which is the 6.5 CCC and Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1. Once you have these installed, make sure that you set all 3D settings to what your card can handle, setting these too high will more then likely cause you too have low fps, if you have any other questions or need help troubleshooting the issue a little further then let us know what you've tried so far and lets see what we can do.

Peace & welcome to DH, Ðamage™

3. !LLu$!0N

!LLu$!0N New Member

Sorry i didn't reply sooner :), many thanks for your reply i apreciate it. Yes i have used driver cleaner and uninstalled past video drivers (which was Nvidea) i actually downloaded a driver which was a little later than the one you stated, but it seems to be working a lot better than the other one i used, Thanks again for your reply :)

P.S i still seem to be getting the same fps with the driver i'm using now, but it seems ALOt smoother than the one i used.

Thanks.

4. fl00red

fl00red New Member

Just for your info, I have 1 gig of ram, p3 3ghz, and a radeon x300se 128mb memory card, and I am getting an average of 50-60fps when I check it with fraps. so I would say the fps you are getting is right about where you should be

5. !LLu$!0N

!LLu$!0N New Member

It's smother just doesnt seem what it can do, i face plain walls and i get 90+ fps so i don;t know whats going on.

Thanks.

6. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Umm thats because the card is only drawing simple 2D texturized surfaces as opposed to 3D Models etc..... looking at the wall and saying you get X FPS isn't a good way to be judging your performance