HD 24/2600 AGP users here is the fix to use any driver set

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Socio, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Socio

Socio New Member

This works for XP or Vista
    I have a Visiontek HD 2600 XT AGP and found none of the ATI driver packages will recognize my card so have been stuck with only two driver sets bad and worse. Then I found this over at the AVS HTPC forum that a couple of the guys there came up with and it works great.

Download the set you want to test (I used the 7.12's) then do a complete uninstall of the old drivers, reboot, and start the install of the new drivers and let it unpack it self to the C:\ATI directory then when it starts the second phase to install the driver and CCC cancel.

Next go here and follow these instructions to alter three .ini files one it the XPinf folder then two in the main driver folder;

http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/ati-hd2x00/#details

After you make the changes run setup in the main folder and it should now find your 24/2600 AGP card, reboot when finished. Next you can apply the tweaks on that page for HD DVD/BD playback performance enhancements if you wish, reboot again, and enjoy.

This worked great for me I could only use two modded driver sets from Visiontek 7.6 and 7.11 both gave me strange red jagged streaks on the 2D desktop and very poor PQ watching HDDVD.

Now I have no 2D problems and after installing the tweaks listed on that site my HD DVD PQ is excellent,I even went up 22 points on 3DMark 06.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Excellent!

If we get some confirmation of this, I'll be happy to make this a Sticky!

3. MaZ

MaZ New Member

If i apply these tweaks in games that use Direct3D i will get rid of the BSOD?

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

That's what we need to find out. So, if you're willing to test this out, please do report the results.

5. Socio

Socio New Member

The tweaks on that link are for video like HD DVD and BD playback enhancements only.

Like I said I tried the Ati Visiontek drivers from the disc which were 7.6 and the ones from the Visiontek website which were 7.11's both gave me 2D corruption and frequent BSOD's playing games.

I believe 3rd party board manufacturers like Visiontek have made changes to the Ati drivers other than just to allow them recognize the 24/2600 AGP boards, changes that make them unstable.

At least it appears this way because after making the changes to the 7.12 drivers ini's from Ati's site like the link in the first post shows so they will install for my HD 2600XT, and installing them I have had no such problems. In fact on the games side mine passes all the DirectX tests and I played GuildWars and COD4 all weekend with not so much as a burp.

6. westsidebud

westsidebud New Member

i know this is unrelated but i wanted to add that i checked
    to see if this solution would help me with my "agp issues" it didnt.
    the hardware id of my HIS radeon x1650 Pro was already properly listed
    in ALL the config/inf files mentioned in the site/article quoted

posted to save some others the time of repeating what i did..
    if it does work for other cards/users cool happy for ya's :)

thanks for posting your information anyways ..smart community with helpfull users :)

7. cjburkha

cjburkha New Member

Thanks for the info.

I finally got the new driver to install.

I don't know if they are better than the last ones, but the last ones sucked, so they can't be worse. ^^

8. drew.ja

drew.ja New Member

Hi, I'm having trouble with installing the latest 7.12 drivers for my AGP ati radeon 2600 hd pro card. I see theres a solution, but I was wondering if you guys have any more information as to why drivers won't work even on an actual ati card. I've looked for an answer around the ati forums, but I haven't learned anything yet. Is this a known issue for AGP ati cards in general? Thanks

9. jman0918

jman0918 New Member

Stabilizing HD 2600 AGP 512 MB

I'm pretty happy with myself ... I was able to get Half Life 2 to start at 8x AGP in Windows XP using the modified Catalyst 7.12.

I wasn't able to turn down the AGP bus in the BIOS, but I can adjust the AGP Driving Control and Voltage on my VIA k8M800 board. From a description I found, there is a lot happening on a 4 layer board and it's possible the signal was a little weak behind the Rialto chipset.

I set the Driving Control to [EA] and the Voltage to 1.75. These settings were cited on various pages as solutions for stabilizing AGP cards with similar problems.

10. shalbik

shalbik New Member

Im wondering, is the result the same as just using the hotfix from ATI's drivers?
    for example, if i download the original 8.4 from ATI, and mod them like written here, will it not be the same as installing the hotfix ATI's been publishing for AGPs?
    Im saying this cause the last couple of drivers(inc 8.3, 8.3Manufacture version, and 8.4 hotfix) went completely down on D3D play, and all crashed after 2 seconds.
    So if any1 could clear that up. thx.

11. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

hey guys :)

I think i've found the solution for my Sapphire HD 2600 PRO AGP 512MB.

i also had all these problems of yours - BSOD's, gray scrren and hard freeze, causing me to do hard resets many times...

me and my fellows at Sapphire forums tried many stuff to make it work... right now i'm having a good time with the card - using the latest 8.4 ATI (Hotfix for AGP) drivers..

and using RivaTuner - what i did is just "Underclocking" the card...

first i've removed all my previous drivers using Drivercleaner...
    then installed the drivers + CCC...
    then installed RivaTuner...
    In RivaTuner - went to low level system settings... to the overclocking tab.
    there - enabled overclocking - it autodetected my card default clock... and gave my a safty range painted in blue... then i lowerd the Core clock to 540MHZ (For my HD 2600) and i left the memory at 500MHZ (or 495MHZ).
    then went to Fan tab at RivaTuner... enabled it also - and checked the Automatic feature...
    (saved all the RivaTuner settings and autoloading them windows starts... or restarts)

that's it - since i've done that... not a single crush, almost finished Assassin's Creed, and finished Orochi Warriors...
    (working 24/7 for a week and 2 days)

Good luck guys - hope it'll help someone :)

BTW - here is a bit of my rig's spec:

HP XW4100 Workstation... Intel Chipset 875P
    Sapphire HD 2600 PRO AGP 512MB
    PSU 280W Hippro
    1.5 GB RAM
    Pentium IV 3.2 GHZ HT CPU
    Vista 32bit Ultimate SP1. (I know i have vista - but it could work for XP users as well)

12. HolyAvenger

HolyAvenger New Member

Well, I can confirm that these if settings make any CAT install on AGP cards (Ihave a HD2600Pro AGP myself). However I usually just wait for the few days until Ati release the hotfix, which installs just fine without inf changing.