HD DVD and Blu-ray content to be degraded for analog displays

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by calidan, Jan 22, 2006.

1. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

Some owners of HD television sets will not be able to see HD DVD and Blu-ray programming in its full glory, as the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) used by both next-gen formats has been modified to require picture degredation over analog connections. As a result, the signal sent through analog connections will be constrained to 960x540, rather than the 1920x1080 that both Blu-ray and HD DVD are capable of.

According to the consortium backing AACS, the change is necessary because of—you guessed it—piracy. The fear is that hordes of otherwise law-abiding citizens will take advange of analog video connections to record full-resolution copies of movies from HD DVD and Blu-ray discs and subsequently distribute them via peer-to-peer networks and other nefarious means. To keep that from happening, any video signal that doesn't travel over a protected input (such as HDMI) will be degraded.

The AACS specification will now contain a new digital flag called the Image Constraint Token. At the discretion of the content producer, the ICT can be set to require next-gen optical players to degrade the video over analog connections. If ICT is turned off, then no downsampling will occur.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

alot of analog tvs don't exactly full support those high resolutions anyways..

not a big problem imo.... but none the less.... there stupid to think that they are going to prevent people from ripping the hd/blue ray dvds directly from the DVDs in highest quality....

3. heffeque

heffeque New Member

that's what makes it even funnier, it'll make people prefer high quality pirated downloads than medium quality originals... how intelligent :rolleyes::rofl:

4. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I was thinking the same thing while reading the story, before I even read your post... LOL

5. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

That sounds like something stupid they would actually do. Yeah, people will download the HD version, and someone that actually bought the DVD won't be able to see it in HD, unless they have HDMI. Haha.

You can bet someone will find a way to disable that anyways. Those HD DVDs will be all over the net, no matter what they do.

6. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

something tells me a solder point or 2...or possibly a pair of wire snips will fix this one

7. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

...as long as you can still get schematics...

Could be that publishing a schematic for repair purposes could become tantamount to providing information to defeat copy protection. This stuff is getting really insidious. They give you a choice of hookup that really isn't a choice for the reason it was purchased - pooey!

8. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

i bet an HDMI to Analog adapter will appear, and work fine, since the signal will only be monitored by which outputs are powered ;) They do DVI to VGA, nd Composite to Coaxial...so I bet it'll happen within 6 monthes