HD2900XT 1GB with Thermalright HR-03 R600....

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ChaosMinionX, Sep 5, 2007.

1. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

:rolleyes:

They want to touch teh core2quad :)

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

QUAD CORE!!!

QUAD CORE!!

QUAD CORE!!!!

QUAD CORE!

QUAD CORE!!!!

QUAD CORE!!

QUAD CORE!!!!!!!!

yes i want to touch teh Core 2 Quad:taste:, but man.... i cant afford it:tears:

3. ChaosMinionX

OT: But you can get really cheap quads now...check out the Xeon 3210 its a quad, and is fairly cheap.

4. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

I agree, even the Q6600 is relatively inexpensive when you look back 6 months. It's a case of shopping around, I tend to wait for special offers and deals. The current system im running only set me back about £800-£900 and see's 15,000 in 3dmark 06, it's more of an investment as i'll get a few years from it then sell it on.
    Buy the best you can now and make it last. Numerous smaller upgrades will cost you more in the long-run.

5. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

yea Q6600 is much cheaper now than before. E6850 price is seem to stay still at this time, but some of today batch E6850 seems quite better than when it first out.
    i just haven't seen Q6700 at all.

6. Kazeko

Kazeko Active Member

7. ChaosMinionX

It shouldnt have any problem in that... looks like plenty of room even after the 25mm's needed for a fan. Figure the heatsink itself takes up no more room than 1 extra expansion slot, so it should fit in there, and the fan can always hang off a bit of the heatsink, but 100% it will fit one way or another.

If that doesnt work facing the NB, you can always reverse mount the HR-03 and have it take up some PCI slots if you dont need them. and if you do like for say a NIC or something, id suggest using that PCI-E 1x slot above your card.

8. Kazeko

Kazeko Active Member

Ordered. Let's hope there's no issues with that north bridge. :( I just worry about how far above the card it sits.

It may come down to taking off the fan on the NB and let it be passively cooled (not an issue, it's at 29C with a semi-decent overclock on a hot day.)

9. ChaosMinionX

Make sure though, those 680i's tend to get really frikkin hot.

10. Chaosophy

Chaosophy New Member

ChaosMinionX, quick question if it's ok.

I've just fitted one of these and I'm a bit worried about something, wondered if you could check it on yours. Or if you or anyone else can shed some light on my issues.

Basically I want to know what the 'VDDC slave temps' are that ATi Tool can monitor?

Reason I ask is that prior to fitting the cooler these temps sat in the low/mid 90s when under stress before but now in fitting the HR-03 they shot up over 100 before I bottled it and stopped the test.

The only thing I can think is that I need to completely flood the square frame around the CPU chip with TIM as the old gunky stock stuff seemed to fill this space. At the moment I only put TIM on the top of the chip and the matching square on the heat sink.

thanks.

11. ChaosMinionX

DO NOT fill the space around the chip with thermal paste lol.... that wont help one bit, however VDDC slave temps I havent a clue, it refers to something on the board, probably the voltage regs which I dont know their operating temp (but they usually run very hot), also make sure you have the heatsink installed properly, put hand pressure on it and tighten down the nuts some more. It could also be that ATI Tool is reading it wrong, if everything is running fine I wouldnt worry about it...

12. Chaosophy

Chaosophy New Member

Thanks for the answer but out of interest, if you use ATi Tool what temps do yours show? It's just that before they where in the 90s under load , now under the same load I've had them up to nearly 130 :eek: and the only thing that has change is the cooler. That's what's bugging me about it.

Card 'seems' to be working but I'm just a bit worried about just ignoring it and having it burn out on me. Annoyingly I've had to fit the cooler under the card so I think the hot air is getting trapped under the card at the moment and over heating something.

Taking the PCI blanking plates off of my spare slots has helped a bit but they're still a lot higher than before.

I'll leave the TIM as is for now but don't think it'd be too much of a problem filing the area around the chip as the stock gunk did, can still see the dents in it !

Other than that it definitely seems fitted ok, looks nice and flush and the core temp has definitely dropped. Ram sinks are fitted ok as well, so all I can think is these temp readings are coming from something that had decent air flow over them with the old cooler as looking at it I can't see what else it was touching, either with the back plate or heat sink.

It's weird thought that I can't find any info on these temps, found plenty of forums with threads where people have fitted water blocks etc but no mention of these temps. And loads of people use ATi Tool. Maybe it's not an issue as I guess people would have come across it by now.

Sorry to be a pain but you can hopefully understand me not wanting to burn out my new £250 card, especially now I've voided the warranty. :D

Ah well, off to do some stress runs and hope it doesn't melt. :D

13. Kazeko

Kazeko Active Member

Chaosminion!

Well, you were right, for the most part, it fits, but the fan doesn't.

[​IMG]

It sorta hangs off, and I can't actually secure the fan at all, because of how far off the Heat sink it sits.

[​IMG]

Still pretty pleased with the performance though, didn't think it'd be that good, from aluminum sink. 58C loaded with 27C Ambient Temps. Compared to the 61C idle and 71C loaded temps. I'll take 13 degrees.

I let it run passively cooled, and the natural airflow (and convection) in this case held it at 67C loaded. (Funny thing is, with, or without the fan on it, putting the side of the case on drops the temps by almost 4C. Smooth airflow and good convection ftw.)

Kinda disappointed at how cluttered that end of the rig is though. There's a whole lot of heatsinks smashed in a really small space. Convection ftw though, it's all flowing directly up.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  14. ChaosMinionX

Glad it worked, even though the fan doesnt fit on all the way leave it their, it will still cool enough to make it alot better than passive.

15. lethialle

lethialle New Member

sorry to be a bother, but I just installed this HS on my R600 1GB, but my idle temp is around 47-50oC :( Ambient temp according to Rivatuner is 43oC. Did I install the thing poorly? I am used to adding 3rd party HSF to CPU or GPUs, but the setup of the HR-03 is a bit worrisome for me, since I have no idea how to make sure all the 4 bolts are as tight as possible (since it is not possible to reach in and secure the two bolts that are covered by the massive Heatsink :( )

Also, how did you get such a great OC on your GPU? Before the HSF replacement, the CCC overdrive would recommend the core to be set to 845mhz, but if I set the core to that, the DX10 bench for Call of Juarez would artifact like mad :( )

thanks for reading, and helping

16. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

dont worry dude, you are not a bother. first of all, heatsinks cannot cool below ambient temperature, it just goes against the laws of nature!:D if you can get a thermometer into your case, use it to measure your internal temp.

things cooled by heatsinks are usually a few degrees C above ambient.

what thermal paste are you using? Arctic Silver 5 is recommended, but Arctic Cooling MX-2 compound is the safest and best to use. (safe for the hardware so do not eat)

if you cant do that, at least give us the name of your case, that way we can do research on the normal internal temp.

just so you know, ChaosMinionX uses a maxed out CoolerMaster Stacker 830 case in black, one of the best air cooled cases on the market if not THE best

lastly, can you check the heatpipes? look for physical damage and feel them for proper heat transfer, all of them should be hot. if one is cooler than the rest, you may have a defective product. Thermalright has a history of serious quality control issues.

good luck man, i hope you figure out how to get ur max OC

17. lethialle

lethialle New Member

Thanks for the reply, re-reading my last post, I felt kinda stupid. I knew that ambient temp is the lowest I can hope, sigh... I am turning senile at a young age :)

I actually used AC MX-2, since I have misplaced my AS-5 somehow :(. I also got a nifty IR thermometer to get the temps.

My room is at a cool 23oC, but my Antec Solo case doesn't seem to want to drop the internal temp down below 45oC :( I guess this is what I get for trying to build a quiet PC. To think I even replaced all the fans with the Sharkoon golfballs :(

Thanks for letting me know that Chaos actually has a Stacker 830, I was just about to ask how the heck can you get the internal temp that low! :)

As for the OC, it seems that DX10 apps kills the OC-ability. So I am wonder what is the max OC that you folks got for your R600 when running Dx10 games?

thanks

18. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

wow so you ACTUALLY have MX-2 compound? dont worry about AS-5 man! MX-2 is years ahead of AS-5 in performance and versatility, its just better! it BEAT Arctic Silver 5 :D not to mention be impossible to find

now about that case, you either need a new case, or get some high pumping fans in there, remember, silence and overclocking generally dont mix. 45C isnt that good for internal temps....

i highly suggest getting a new case if you are seriously considering OCing

the Stacker is sexy nice so if you get that, you are set but theres also the coolermaster 690 case thats only 60 dollars and uses up to 7 fans!

EDIT: looking at the solo case..... i can understand why its called "Solo" wow i would never stick my hardware into something like that..... a SOLO fan..... its like some kind of computer torture chamber...

please, for the sake of your hard drive, motherboard, CPU, memory, and very, very expensive 2900XT upgrade your case! everything must be like 60C....

please consider this: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  19. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

ChaosMinionX - Gorgeous!

20. lethialle

lethialle New Member

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I originally got the solo because 1) it was like 30 bucks :D 2) it has great silent PC features and good wire management features. 3) I wanted a small case (having worked on it now, I will never go for a small case again, everytime I work on it I get a new cut on my finger :( ) At the time Antec P182 isn't out yet :)

But since then, I have picked up a P182 and it is just sitting there... Now that I think about it, maybe it was karma that my mobo just died on me today.... Couldn't post no beep, nothing... Even w/o anything connected. (Tried another PSU too)

At any rate, I guess it is the higher power telling me to use my P182 case...

Speaking of MX-2, I discovered this online store: Petra's Tech Shopwhile browsing on slickdeals, it has great price and great selection of PC modding stuff, and great service. But yeah please don't buy all the MX-2s leave some for me please :)

Now, back to moaning the passing of my asus mobo :oops: