HD2900XT 1GB with Thermalright HR-03 R600....

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ChaosMinionX, Sep 5, 2007.

1. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

something tells me that the solo case was the entire reason why your P5K Deluxe died...

comparing it to the rest of your system, that was by far the worst purchase you made....

the P182 isnt the best design case, it limits PSU size greatly, circulation by the mobo could have been better... but its still good, alot better than your last one..

2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Lethialle if you need any pointers on using that P182 just let me know. The swap over can be kinda tedious, and you might need a cable extender. Also if you install the fan on the front it greatly improves air flow around your MB. On my board it dropped the temps down to around the 32-38 area. I see you have the corsair PSU so you shouldn't have any problems w/ fitting that PSU in.

Just remember to have a lot of nice big zip ties ready.

Still can't believe you had all that hardware stuffed in such a small case.

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

yup, Necrosis owns this case and knows personally what can go and what can't.

4. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Asmoday helped me out quite a bit too when I switched. Great case but because of the design don't expect to just pop your stuff in.

5. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Like to add to that this is a HD2900XT 1GB from ExtremePC all handpicked cards and custom bios :) So it tends to do better than a standard card would.

And I mounted the HR03 R600 with Liquid Metal Pro (Which I highly dont recommend you do if you have no experience with Liquid Metal, or have the cash to replace if you fry your card. Its pure metal, it is very conductive)

6. lethialle

lethialle New Member

Thanks Kris, necro and Chaos!

Gosh, now I really feel like a nub. The thing is when I started my PC build I "was" gonna just gonna go for something cheap. But the Overclocker in me got the best of me and I started to look for quality parts.
    I would have gotten the 8800GTX if it weren't for the small size of the case too (that and I thought the R600 technology is worth supporting).

I should have posted more here!:w00t: I have lurked for years, but just recently signed up. You guys are great!

Fitting everything in the small case was a pain, and it took me hours to get all the wires organized. Yeah like I said, I have learnt my lesson :oops: I just thought that I might actually be able to build a good PC that is kinda mobile :)

Back to the HD 2900 XT: what do you normally run the card at for games Chaos? I assume that you only use the extreme clocks for benching right?

I wish I have some hand picked parts, now if you get a crossfire setup going with two of those hand picked parts, man...:drool:

I am curious about this liquid metal thing, if it is what I think it is how can it even work? doesn't it turn your HS into a giant conductor with a direct connection to the core of the GPU? (scary thought)

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

basically, thats what liquidmetal does... Arctic Cooling MX-2 is just as good apparently so i suggest that over liquidmetal

8. ChaosMinionX

MX2 is only a slight improvement to AS5... Liquid Metal is still the best you can get (Liquid Metal Ultra T.B.A) in any of my testing, as well as others and reviewers testing Liquid Metal Pro beats AS5 and old MX1 by an average of 3C... I have had results as good as 5C (required lapping the chip, and the HSF to a perfectly flat interface at 800 or 1000grit)

But for safety sake, and ease of use I suppose MX2 would be the way to go, Liquid Metal isnt used by many because its very hard to use, and is much more dangerous to powered devices :)

My normal gaming clocks are 875/1100

EDIT: Couple reviews

Coollaboratory Liquid (Metal) Pro vs Arctic Silver 5 - EXTREME Overclocking Forums

Hardware-Mag - Artikel - Test: Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad im Test (german review, so I got you the graphs)

Plenty more out there as well, I can post if youd like to see... on a side note the Liquid Metal Pads by CoolLaboratory work quite well too, however in my testing they have been 1C or so worse than using the actual liquid.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  9. lethialle

lethialle New Member

:drool:

if only...

Now about the Hr-03, do you guys think the heatsink on the memory that came with it would be enough? It seem that the stock cooler has better cooling for the memory at least.

Also, I wanna be sure about this: how much paste do you put on the GPUs? I use as much as I would for my CPU, since I don't want paste everywhere, but should I put more (like as much as the stock cooler uses?)

thanks

10. ChaosMinionX

HR03 R600 + Cool Laboratory Liquid Metal Pads for ATI/NVIDIA GPU's.... will work the best :)

EDIT: Mind you I paid $600 for my HD2900 :)

Will probably replacing it with HD2950XTX if its released.

11. lethialle

lethialle New Member

lol, forgot that you use the uber stuff :)

The HD2950XTX? I haven't heard anything about it, care to shed some light on it please? :)

12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

basically its the unofficial name for the upcoming ATi/AMD refresh to the R600 core its R670 or something like that....

13. lethialle

lethialle New Member

I thought that was dub'ed 2950XT? Is the XTX version the one with longer board?

14. ChaosMinionX

No concrete evidence of a 2950 XT or XTX but they gotta revive the XTX at some point.

15. lethialle

lethialle New Member

Time to report back... So it turns out that my gfx is the culprit, it somehow died.... I have booted up and played game with the R600 after the HR-03 installation, I even checked the temp, which looked fine during 3d game play...

sigh, I don't know why the card won't even boot up... Do I have to connect the fan to the onboard fan controller or something?

All indication points to that my card got fried though :( Is there any way to tell for sure?

thanks

Edit: Okay, so apparently my system still boots up to windows.... WTF! I thought that a bad VGA would stop the system from booting up!? I am so confused... Please help.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  16. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

was your thermal paste applied properly? were the memory chips and regulators cooled properly?

17. lethialle

lethialle New Member

yeah I follow the instructions on the Hr-03. As always, I grounded my self with a wrist wrap while I was working with the computer... The only thing I can think that might have gone wrong was how tight the HS was attached to the card, but I checked the bolts and the gap between the GPU-sim and the HS, and they all looked even.

I have no idea what's going on...

On another note, are all Antec cases speaker less? I need to find a system speaker somewhere... Is there anyway to get the post beep to be played via the sound card?

18. ChaosMinionX

Yeah, cause P5K DLX doesnt have onboard speaker for error codes :)

However post beep isnt going to tell you anything about VGA problems, only whether or not its being initialized.

19. lethialle

lethialle New Member

oh I have a Blitz formular now :) And it doesn't have an onboard speaker. And unless I am misunderstanding ya, I don't believe P5k have onboard speaker either, am I wrong about that?

TBH, I haven't heard a post beep in weeks now, mostly because of all the problems that I am having, so i can't tell you for sure if there is beep or not for the P5K :( All I know is that when I had everything running on the P5K, there was no beep when I couldn't post...

Also, according to the LCD POSTER, CPU init passed, so is it safe to assume that the cpu is not the problem? I mean I can boot into windows, I just don't have any video :(

Is there a way to flash the VGA bios? The LCD poster sometimes show that the boot gets stopped at loading the VGA BIOS phase... I am just trying everything I can to prevent another purchase of a gfx card so soon, I wanted to wait for the next gen to come out first :)