Hd3870 == Hot!

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by FacialTurd, Apr 18, 2008.

1. FacialTurd

FacialTurd New Member

I Purchased a HD3870 (512mb) a few months ago and I started having troubles, Under Vista x64 the Driver would crash repeatedly and eventually BSOD, I had assumed this was something to do with an Unstable/New driver after a few driver updates the problem was still not solved, Today I accidentally opened Catalyst control Centre, I glanced at the Overclocking section just to make sure, Stock Frequescies etc... then realised the temps! 94 Dgrees Celsius!.

This is odd because my system has fair amount of fans (2x 120mm 1 80mm Side) and the CPU and System temps are always nice and cold (28 and 32 respectively), Mousey suggested I remove Blanking plate from the PCI slots which helped allot (now running at 54C)
    is this normal, i've got it down to 54C but it still seems very hot, but at least the crashes have stopped now *touch wood*

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

What kind of cooling that card has?? I mean it does sound a little too hot.

3. FacialTurd

FacialTurd New Member

Just the Stock Cooler (extra slot)

4. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

Definitely a bad fan / heatsink on it.

Time to pony up for a new one.

5. FacialTurd

FacialTurd New Member

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

thats a good cheap cooler, make sure you get good thermal paste.

OCZ Freeze, Tuniq TX2, Arctic Cooling MX-2

7. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Would AS5 do the trick? I've got a tube here and i said i'd let Turd (lol :D ) use some

8. Thalabai

Thalabai New Member

all ur probs hasnt got anythin with h/w, or anything like that. all new ATI cards depend on drivers. all drivers has that - lets call it - "A BUG" - they dont speed up the fan on the card when temp jumps on hi usage. so wuts the deal? i had the same problem. solved it like this: get newest RivaTuner. set fan (in a FAN tab - set fixed speed) on like 50% or like 60% (the speed of fan that u wount be able to hear) - so that GPU gets propper colling. 50-60% of FAN speed is not above the sound of other fans in ur pc sys, but u will lower the temp wery much. and of course, try to mount 1 fan below the card, and if possible also above it (80mm fan should do it just fine). put em on black n red wire (5V). that will give right ammount of air for that card, and u wount hear em at all. this is the way i solved my prob. from 90+C i lowered temp on GPU to like 55 tops when GPU is on max usage for hours. same thing i recommended to others on many more sites n forums. almost 100 ppl did it (in a similar way) - and all of em lowered temp to like less than 60C.
    have fun
    good luck

9. Fahim

Fahim New Member

Hi,

HD 3870 fan is controlled by BIOS, which you can modify should you wish, so i don't this has anything to do with drivers. Mine is running fine, regardless of which driver i use, the fan is fully dynamic, and works with temperature. 100% fan would be loud, i think the problem he is having is because maybe the HSF is not applied properly with thermal paste.

10. suhi-R

suhi-R New Member

If you google

Google

you can find the solution to your problem

3870 heat problem - Iskanje Google

3870 is known to have this problem. it is the bios problem and you can fix it by upgrading the bios with other 3870 bios. it does not have to be your spec graphic card bios it just has to be 3870. my card had the same problem. fan was stuck at 40% all the time. the temps were between 60 -80C. after upgrading the bios the temps didnt go over 65C.