hd5970 crossfire + nvida card for physix?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by apollo0117, Feb 3, 2010.

1. apollo0117

apollo0117 New Member

hi the name changing "Hardware heaven",

First post in a long time. any way i have a friend who i am building a sick gaming rig for. just wondering if it is possible to use two 5970's in crossfirex and then use a separate Nvidia card (like a 9800gt) to run phys x/all the cuda stuff if i use a evga x58 classified mobo?

i see that when running all nvida card's on this mobo that you can have two be in sli and then have a third running as dedicated phys x.

last question here is if it is even worth getting the 5970's and running them in crossfire x when the new Nvidia GF100 or fermi architecture is so close to coming out?

:confused::confused::confused:

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

That's a helll of system you are going to build ;) .There is a hack someone created to enable physx when Ati card is primary and the nvidia is secondary "for win 7".
    I'd prefer myself The Ati road than waiting for fermi , it will be released after the mid year and wil probably be ridiculously priced at launch. And even from the previews and some fps in games nvidia published for fermi vs 5870hd doesn't include the 5970 in comparison . Anyway , all we hear about nvidia fermi are rumors and more hype , no reliable information yet.

3. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Yes that is possible, but what I read about that, making two different drivers to work together properly is so hard that it can make you crazy. If memory serves me well, I am not sure that Vista or Win7 will allow you to use two different drivers, only XP.(or maybe I mixed XP with Vista-win7).

Good luck.

4. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

XP and win 7 as far as I remeber.

asedsa likes this.
  5. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Yes, you are right, now I remember, thanks.
    Best regards.

comp_ali likes this.
  6. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I would stick around and wait for Fermi... it sounds like it will be a ridiculous price at launch but i don't think this would put your friend off, seeing as he's going the evga and 5970 route anyway. Buy a cheap card to tide it over until Fermi comes out.

7. apollo0117

apollo0117 New Member

Thanks for all your input! not quite sure what my friend will end up having me order. the problem i for see with waiting for firmmi is that it keeps getting pushed back. first was supposed to come out in November 09 then January 15ish and now march 15. when this all comes together ether in the next few weeks or when ever firmi comes out ill post pic's of the final build. if you guys want the majority of the specs now just ask (i got a pity good list)

sounds like the crossfire + nvidia is not meant for ppl (like my friend) who have to get a friend to build them a comp in the first place. but out of my own curiosity (and eventual upgrade of gpu) how would you do this mod?:confused:

8. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

its a simple case of installing the ATI drivers, then the nvidia drivers, and then (i think) its called Gary's Mod (or something...) and you have to assign the ATI to the first screen and the nvidia card to the "second"

tell us the specs, we love to hear this kinda stuff :)

9. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

I think the person on the forums who has had some experience with mod is probably Judas, so am sure he will pop in here and add his 2 cents :)