HD7850 Card No DVI/HDMI Audio

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CDsDontBurn, Apr 17, 2012.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

So I have a HD7850 that I'm testing, and I can't get any audio out from the DVI port. The audio driver is installed and is detected in winXP sp3, but Windows Sound Properties in Control Panel only recognizes the onboard audio. I'm sure that is the reason why there is no audio out from the DVI port. Same thing if I use an HDMI cable.

I've tried searching, but the only things I keep finding are "this is how you change the audio controller in Windows" type of things. I know what to do, it's just not there for me to do it! lol

Is there a Windows patch/update available or some other sort of work-around to make this work?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I know that it's hit and miss on the DVI ~> HDMI adapter to produce audio or detect properly... Best to just use the HDMI connector by default.

However plugging in an HDMI compliant device that supports audio should trigger windows vista/7 to recognize that the HDMI/DisplayPort audio device is available (but by default won't be set as default).

by the sounds of it it doesn't look like your getting this at all... is the device even listed and if it is.. does it just remain "greyed" or "inactive"?

Right click the sound devices menu and select "show disabled devices" and see if it's shown as being disabled...

Check the device manager, you should have an ATI or "HD Audio Device" listed under the sound adapter listings alongside the onboard solution.

If it is indeed listed as either an unknown or only as a High Definition Device... you must install the latest ATI drivers and ensure the sound device for the ati audio is showing up as something being installed.

3. caqde

caqde Active Member

Well a DVI port doesn't carry audio so technically to get audio you need to make sure you are using an HDMI to HDMI cable connecting the HDMI port from the GPU to the HDMI port of a device with speakers. Displayport to HDMI can also work as Displayport also carries audio.

The second part is to make sure you have up to date drivers from AMD. I have also found if the audio drivers don't work from them that using the drivers from realtek might help -> Realtek .

EDIT: Hmm I guess some devices support HDMI over DVI but support is limited to certain products. So I guess it is up to the manufacturer whether they want to support it or not. (This includes your monitor/audio device)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  4. CDsDontBurn

@ Judas: This machine is using winXP sp3, not vista/win7. And everything else you said I put in my OP. Device manager shows the AMD Audio device, but it's not even listed in Windows Sound Properties in Control Panel. Like, it's not even grayed out. It's simply not there.

@ caqde: This particular manufacturer does support DVI audio out.

5. Judas

i've not gotten it to work the few times i've tried with windows xp at all..

6. CDsDontBurn

It might just be an OS limitation then.

7. Judas

that would be my suspicion.... a lot of things no longer work or never worked in windows xp

8. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

I would go with this too. I think Windows 7 supports this sort of thing out of the box as when XP was made DVI wasn't designed to have an audio-out where-as now it's basically compatible with HDMI.

9. cause_of_chaos

cause_of_chaos SEGA Europe Limited

Hi all,

Whilst not certain, I thought that you need to feed audio into your card first (hence the audio input connectors on the card). I'm pretty sure thats what has to be done to get audio from the HDMI out...

I pass PC audio to a home theater system through Digital Coaxial, so I've never tried/confirmed this...

cause_of_chaos

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

No, under Windows 7, at least, if you're using HDMI and/or DVI, the audio is provided through the graphics card's HDMI or DVI connection. BUT, you have to have the "additional" audio drivers installed. These are provided by Real Networks and show up in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers as "AMD High Definition Audio Device." There is no need to make any internal or external audio connections to the graphics card.

The AMD drivers are "supposed" to include these additional audio drivers but may not do so if the user hasn't chosen to allow them to install.

11. Judas

just to clarify again.

audio through the DVI connection (which has rarely worked for me) is only available IF you use a DVI to HDMI adapter and attached to a device able to read the digital audio presented over the hdmi connection...

Windows vista supports this..

Windows XP i've never gotten it to work.

12. CDsDontBurn

I found a solution to my query here. Just forgot to update the thread :p

I found that any "generic" DVI to HDMI adapter will NOT carry audio on an AMD card with this feature. You HAVE to use an AMD proprietary DVI to HDMI adapter in order for the card to send audio through the DVI connection. HIS is the only manufacturer that I know of that currently supplies the adapter to be sold individually.