Heard of UMAX RAMs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by anonemus, Apr 19, 2010.

1. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

Someone is offering me Umax Pulsar RAMs. I haven't heard of this brand or company. Any feedback?

[​IMG]

umax worldwide web

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Never heard of them. Wikipedia says that they use brand name Yamada, which I encountered some years ago as a manufacturer of decent and affordable DVD players, but nothing else.

In truth, RAM is probably the easiest thing to manufacture, you buy the chips from a large manufacturer and put them on a very simple PCB, but bad RAM can cause so much headache I wouldn't play with an unknown brand that hadn't even bothered to send a few samples to a hardware site or two for review (reading something like "a cheap set that doesn't stick out from the rest but does it's job" would have been much more reassuring than finding nothing). And since you said "someone" and not "a retailer", I'm not sure what that means if you need to make a warranty claim, so that's another drawback and I'd definitely steer clear from them simply out of caution.

3. anonemus

I quickly lost interest in this RAM brand when I did a google search. Hard to get more reliable info on this really. Someone (an individual) is selling a 4GB kit online. I'll follow your advise and steer clear from this. Thanks, IvanV!

4. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

I found this:

www.[B]umax[/B].net

Google says it may harm my 'puter! OH NOES!

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

UMAX, I know only as the company that made two of the flatbed scanners I've owned. The first one I owned was under Windows 98 and it required a SCSI card to function. The second one used a USB connection. I lost confidence in UMAX when, with the upgrade to VISTA, they decided to not provide updated drivers for the USB scanner.

As for them making RAM, personally, I won't be interested in anything UMAX makes since they seem to lack interest in keeping their devices operational.

(I'd say the same thing about Lexmark, too. Their X83 All-in-One printer/copier/scanner quit working as well with the upgrade to Vista.)

6. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Best to stick with the major brands. In addition to quality you will likely get a lifetime warranty to go with it, which will far out weigh any price.

7. anonemus

Thanks for the replies, guys. I quickly lost interest in this item after reading similiar opinions. Yes, better stick to known brands.