Heatsink Roundup April 2010 @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Apr 15, 2010.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Heatsink Roundup

The market nowadays is crowded with dozens of products which makes it very difficult for inexperienced users to pick the right cooler for their needs. Today we will present you four coolers from different manufacturers, ranging from the cost-effective versatile Gelid Tranquillo to the monstrous NH-D14 from Noctua and will be discovering what they can offer to end users.

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I knew the Noctua would dominate this roundup (though it was closer than I expected) due to its massive size and fans. Noctua's website has a huge compatibility list of just about every motherboard and ram so there's little doubt whether you can use this monster or not. I love this cooler, it has allowed me to run near silent with an overclock higher than I could ever achieve with my Ocz Vendetta 2. I also liked the mounting system it was pretty easy to do and there's no worrying about a secure fit or damage to the motherboard.

The Noctua NH-D14 isn't that expensive when you factor in that it comes with a 120mm and 1400mm fan.

3. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

for once, im actually confused about a review.
    im using a 955 at stock right now (with throttling on) with a stock cooler.
    at about 70F ambient (20c) im idling at 26-27c (due to throttling) but max temps are only 45C, which is better then 6 of the 8 listed load temps of performance coolers.

so, im slightly confused as how a stock cooler beats out 3/5 tested aftermarkets.

4. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

That's extremely easy to explain. Motherboard thermal readings are not very accurate and/or consistent between different motherboards. I've even seen motherboards reporting a CPU temperature lower than the ambient. You could (actually, you definitely would) get entirely different readings on two entirely identical computers. If you have a different motherboard than the one used in the review, the difference of the temperature readings could be stellar. For a real example, every now and then I'm using a stock system with a 945 installed; the reported CPU temperature at idle always is above 45C, a number which makes no sense when compared to your system and is higher than what I'd expect to see on the Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P which I'm using as well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  5. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

I am glad I found this review. I am looking for a low cost upgrade and figured I should grab an aftermarket cpu cooler. The Akasa Nero S. got ordered a few hours ago. Now I just need to decide on what to actually buy for CPU,MOBO, RAM. I am leaning towards AMD due to cost/performance.

6. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member