Hehehe... one hell of an idea....or not?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Yeti, May 31, 2002.

1. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Now i've been thinking... The poorer gents here (like me) have had to (once in their lives) live in a home with a window air conditioner (apartment, whatever)...

These A/C's are lightweight and small... and work pretty decently... now instead of buying that expensive Vapochill or KryoSys unit, or a watercooling kit... what about piping that sucker to your processor? The AC works on the exact same principle as a cryocooler... and i'm sure that with a little work on the copper tubing you could reroute it to cool your CPU.

Now I'm a certifiable retard/dumbass... so i'm sure one of you all out there has already thought of this (and rejected it) or done this. So whats the deal? Feel free to pound me into the ground if you think (or know) this wont work ... or give me a pat on the back if you think it will. :)

General rants are also welcome....

2. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

I have done this and it works well, but you need to make sure you don't get condensation, so you need a VERY fast fan blowing air out of the case again.

Works well though.

(PS Not using it anymore, due to not as much incentive to O/C.)

3. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Really?

I assume you used a waterblock for the contact... and then just routed the freon through?

Or am i off my rocker?

4. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

No, I cooled the entire computer's inside, using thick tubes sealed to the front and back of the case.

Then just had a regular hsf on the CPU.

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

How's about using a bit of the old Lazy-boy for cooling?

I got a small fridge in the arm of my Lazy-boy that I never use, so I've been thinking of pulling the thermal element from it and just plopping it in the bottom of my case and seeing what happens. :)

I'm a tad worried about condensation though....

6. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Eh... you'll never find out if ya don't risk it... :)

7. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re: How's about using a bit of the old Lazy-boy for cooling?

I was being sarcastic with that comment I posted in another forum about sticking the guts of my PC in the freezer.... well, only half joking as I did wonder about risking an el-cheapo rig experimenting with it... The deciding factor was when I remember that although the PC was cheap, the freezer wasn't, and I only have one freezer.

I do still wonder, though...

fx: brain thinking.... beer. fx: hmm... beer.

8. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Uh... sticking a pc in your freezer... has been done!!! Many times... All kinds of freezers too... small ones, industrial grade ones... well... just search online! :) (perfectly safe IMHO).

Now... what i was thinking of was just routing the coolant directly to the cpu... instead of just cooling the computer.!!!! Now thats an experiment :)... i'm gonna get around to it... eventually....

9. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re:

Get your rig o/c'd to the max, totally seal the case, then pump full of super cooled nitrogen :D