help!..azureus and the yellow smiley's!

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by thingsthings, Apr 13, 2005.

1. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

Alway's YELLOW...YELLOW!! YELLLOW!! YELLOW!!

All my download's can only connect to local's and no remote connection's are possible. I've been through the other posts and done the following:

1) Gone through my router setup and added the tcp port 6881 mapped to my computers internal ip address

2) Changed the port number assigned as a listening port on azureus from the default (as suggested by 'BWX' in a previous post)

There was one thing that was also suggested to do with DMZ, but as soon as exposure to attacks was follwed, I chose not to use that suggestion.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong or other method's to solving this annoying:mad: problem?

Router Details:

Wireless Cable/DSL Router
    Model: R3010UW

TnT

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

is it a home network, or say, a college network?

3. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

It's a home wirless network consisting of my computer with the router and my brother's with the wirless adapter.

TnT

4. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

no suggestions? i really want my download indicator to go from constantly yellow to green, so any help would be welcomed.

TnT

5. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit DH ***** hobo

I know there is a patch if you are using sp2 that allows more connections, I could never get more than 40kbs from a download but after the patch that allows more connections i get 200kbs+. PM me if you want it

6. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

you can try my way
    first in azureus goto tools>options>plugins>unpnp>check all the boxs>click refresh
    then goto connection change the incoming TCP listen port to something above 7000 say
    (some trackers block the default azureus port)
    that should do it

7. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

ChoGGi, i tried your method and changed the listening port to 8000, but still it seems to stay on yellow. i know that my router has a hardware firewall that is always active, but even after allowing the ports to be opened through the routers configuration, it doesn't seem to make the blindest bit of difference.

cheers for the info though. it was worth a try.

TnT

8. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

ive actually reformatted to see if that would solve anything.....nope, just a waste of time, though my computer runs alot faster. wiskerbizkit, did you get my message? well it was about the file you said that speeds up the downloads.

anyway, if anyone knows of a way to rid of these yellow smiles and turn them into lush green ones, let me know.

TnT (not the explosive kind)

9. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

when you start azureus does it give you two messages about mapping tcp and udp ports?

10. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

nope ChoGGi, no message. it just loads up and acts the way it usually does.

i dont understand, i have told my router to accept port 7555 tcp (new port assigned for azureus),i even did a new installation and did a 'test' on the port and got an 'OK'. i added the port to windows firewall as well (sp2). could it be anything else?

11. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

12. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

thanks for the link, though I think I have done that already. I prefer azureus, but should I try and change clients? Or is there something else I can try.

Actiontec Wireless Cable/DSL Router
    Model: R3010UW

13. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

I think you need to forward it for UDP as well as TCP - and maybe a range for UDP, of several ports starting from the same one as the TCP.

14. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

well azureus should be letting you know if it can/cant map ports using upnp, assuming that your router supports it, any ideas if it does?

15. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

azureus only uses TCP so allowing UDP, i dont know. i will try it.

http://www.upnp-ic.org/certification/
    according to the above site, my router (Model: R3010UW) does support UPnP.

yesterday i got one download that went green, but that's an isolated incident (this was after using that link you gave me which told me to disable UPnP), but since, its again stuck on yellow, so back to normality for me.

also, another thing, java is taking up 40,000 on my memory with 2 downloads, which is having a serious impact on the performance of my machine. how does it go for you ChoGGi?

and considering the problems i am having ,is it worth considering changing download clients?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  16. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

the guide was for port forwarding manually, upnp is more like automatic port forwarding
    http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/PortForwarding (you should give the rest a read)

i hope you mean bytes when you say 40 000, java is using about 80MB ram and 80MB for VM on mine
    you can use this cmd to start azureus and chose the amount of mem java uses
    java -Xms16m -Xmx64m -classpath swt.jar;Azureus2.jar -Dazureus.skipSWTcheck=1 org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main

-Xms16m -Xmx64m (first is min memory java uses second is max)

you should also try connecting your computer directly to your net connection to make sure that its the router giving you trouble

you can always try another client and see how it goes, other then java im happy with azureus :)

17. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

Well...I found a couple of good methods. First of all you have to forward the entire port RANGE (NOT just 6881) For me I use a small range. I use 7777-7782 Thats 6 ports, therefore normally that'd mean 5 simultaneous downloads (one port must always listen).

Unfortunately it still isnt so great...so I just made my BT downloading computer be in a Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) That basically removes all firewall protection for a limited time(or forever if you leave DMZ on) From there I configure my personal firewall on the computer to open up that range of ports for ALL connections, but leave everything else in either lockdown condition or tight security(no incomming connections unless I set an outgoing connection first). You're probably having issues with your personal firewall rather than your router in this case, especially since Azereus does an okay job of uPnP.

18. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

good point i forgot about the firewall point :confused:

19. thingsthings

thingsthings New Member

Finally!!! I never thought this day would come. I took your advice Geminiwave and added a TCP port range and then turned on the DMZ. The DMZ makes you more vunerable to attacks though....doesn't it? Well, when I am not downloading, I will turn it off. Thanks again.

And cheers ChoGGi for sticking with it. All the help was appreciated.

Oh yeh, before I forget, wiskerbizkit mentioned that there is something to speed up Azureus downloads.....any insight into that?

Take it easy dude's.

TnT

20. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

windows xp sp2 adds a limit to the # of concurrent connection yada yada, the default is 10 the patch allows you to change it.
    i sent you an email with the link a few days back but i assume it got spammed, check your pm