Help building a new rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by dawgXdenta, Oct 24, 2020.

1. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Hey guys.

Old Faithful here. Well, not old when I got onto this site I was in my early twenties. I am now ...late 30s. Wow!

Anyway need some advice on what motherboard to buy. Really looking at a gaming rig, with multiple sata/nvme ports for where I'll be doing lots of OS testing and network Virtual stuff.
    I was thinking of the MSI X570 Ace, but I have to be deadly honest I am out of my game and so much has changed in the PC world I'm still playing catch-up.

Help all.

Where is MIG, Zardon, CDs, Cow and Mousey?

2. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I think the MSI X570 boards had very poor VRM's compared to the competition. Personally, at that price point I would be looking at an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero... Or the new refreshed version Dark Hero (when it comes out)... Hero's are a little more, but damn it's a nice board. In March, I settled on the ASUS TUF, since I could not realistically justify the added cost of the Hero :)

QB

dawgXdenta likes this.
  3. dawgXdenta

Thanks QB. I was thinking of alternatively looking at Asus and asrock. So how have the poor VRMs affected performance? Is it noticeable in terms of heat? Or lack of adequate power during gaming, leading to noticeable shortfalls in performance? Lol I am out of it so your education would help.

4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

In my experience the only MSI mobo I ever had for an AMD platform was notoriously unstable.

I would stick to ASRock. And yes I put my money where my mouth is. The X570 Taichi mobo is wonderful. Just look at this beauty:

[​IMG]

You could go with MSI for video cards, I have a MSI RTX 2080 that is serving me well. I have even slightly oced it.

@MIG-31 is still kickin' around somewhere here, the rest are no longer regulars, I do keep in contact with @Mousey and basically he is well, working as a self made programmer now (he studied in something other than programming so he is self taught). As for Cow, you know where he is lol, don't even ask! :p

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Tipstaff likes this.
  5. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Speaking of a thing of beauty...

[​IMG]

QB

Calliers likes this.
  6. dawgXdenta

Thanks Calliers & QB71 I'll compare and contrast. My first motherboard was an asrock. The first gaming rig I ever built had an msi mobo.
    Both your suggestions are awesome I'll check them out and decide where to go.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Definitely point towards the AsRock with ryzen in mind. I also wouldn't advise going for the absolute top tier stuff however, if you can find the midrange models that have an arrangement of ports and configurations that best suits you, then you can more than likely use add-in cards to bump some of the components it's lacking (m.2 adapters + ethernet cards or sata cards).

I'd also advise that you consider the ryzen 5000 series, patiently wait for november 5th to arrive when the cpus finally launch and we get to see what they truly are capable of performance wise as they are most likely to REALLY bring considerably performance benefits.

dawgXdenta, Calliers and Tipstaff like this.
  8. dawgXdenta

Epic. Hey Judas! hope you are well and thanks for the advice. Yeah it really is starting to sink in. I am definitely looking forward to November 5th, the release of the new AMD GPUs and the ryzen 5000 series. I am hoping to capitalize off of the the release, plus cyber Monday as well as Black Friday specials.

I will post my thoughts then and hear what you all think. For now it's a waiting game. In terms of pricing ASROCK really wins the Upper mid-tier, I am definitely NOT going for upper and godlike tiers, those are unnecessary for what I need. It's exciting though & will see what AMD has to bring.

Calliers likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Hey dawg, happin' man?

dawgXdenta and Calliers like this.
  10. dawgXdenta

Hey man! I'm getting all Nostalgic

Calliers likes this.
  11. dawgXdenta

It's good to be back.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  12. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Yes I am still here, good to see a Old name from the past.. :)

There has been Many changes since, Zardon left Many Years ago....

Craig & Stu (Veridian3) also left HH some time ago...

However within the Last Year HH is now Owned by a French Company now...

A Little Offtopic I know..

13. dawgXdenta

Perfectly cool MIG. Feels like visiting an apartment I used to live in during college years. Feels good man. I am happy to know that everyone is alright despite the craziness of the world right now.

Calliers likes this.
  14. dawgXdenta

So here I have it guys. Feel free to pick away @ it. Mind you, I am limited by my budget and timing also I can't get everything all at once.
    But here is what I am aiming for, now that news is out for radeon and amd:

HSI/Sapphire/MSI- radeon 6700 : ~$600
    Ram 2x32 - patriot /crucial 3600mhz~$220
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5 ~$200
    (Will be doing lots of VMs and lots of hardrives)
    Ryzen 7 5800X, ~$500
    ASRock X570 TAICHI AM4 - $290( not sure about this with the new processor's)
    SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB nvme -$170

Budget for $200 (in the meantime) for a 24" screen. ( I know that's not the best for gaming)
    And $100 for mouse + keyboard
    I already have headphones.

15. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Why don't you include the SATA III SSD you already have? Surely that will boost your space, which is good.

Also that motherboard will work fine with the 5000 series processors.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  16. dawgXdenta

Thanks dude.
    Yeah I have other drives but they arent part of my build. the main drive will be the nvme. the other drives are back-up and storage and for experimentin with systems.

Calliers likes this.
  17. Judas

6700's aren't announced, did you mean 6800 vanilla? ($579 msrp USD)

Should do well, CL16 is plenty good enough latency, far as what i can see, it's pointless to go to CL15, and better to simply make a move to CL14, but frankly better off just getting 3800-4000mhz if you really wanted, personally 3600mhz is sufficient and cost effective, so you should be more than happy.

Do you intend on running 2x to 3x power hungry graphics cards? I wouldn't advice anything over 750watt unless you intend on getting a 3090 equivilent down the road.

I'd say you should be able to save yourself a few dollars... if you really want the extra power, max 850watt. Modern drives don't eat much wattage, specially if they are SSDs.

As far as what i'm seeing, the 5000 series ryzen in 500 series mainboards should be bootable, but will require a further bios update... essentially allowing you to post, plug in flash drive with bios on it, update.. then proceed to use machine normally.

Also regarding the samsung 980 pro.... is the 970 evo plus or even 970 pro cheaper for you? IMO the 980 pro is basically an evo style upgrade... frankly it shouldn't be called a pro IMO.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  18. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I agree about the PSU... I have a power hungry factory OC'd 5700XT, 3700X, 4 HHD's, 3 SATA SSD's, Blu-ray ROM, and a SATA powered 240MM AIO cooler all connected with two external HDD's via USB plus 4 case fans (2 of which are 200MM)... my 860W PSU is overkill. It's a digital PSU and if I hammer everything at the same time with benchmarks/stress tests, my PSU reports power draw from the wall of 500ish W... it's been a while since I did this so I can't recall the exact figure, but suffice it to say that my PSU isn't just good enough, it's overkill.

QB

19. Judas

Generally you don't want to go over 65-75% PSU load.... so in QB71's case, a 650watt would suffice right on the edge imo. a 750watt would be probably ideal while giving a little leg room.

If it were an intel system.... the power requirements would take a pretty steady jump up higher (for the same performance metric)

20. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Okay, so I just made myself late for work because I was too curious... I just ran 9 instances of ATTO on each HDD/SSD/USB HDD, Furmark, and Prime95 (small FFTs)... Opened up iCUE and my AX860i reported a peak max Power In of 486 W... Idle is about 160W :p

QB