Help building a new rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by dawgXdenta, Oct 24, 2020.

1. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Hey guys I'll respond soon just been busy with work.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Quit your job, and just chill, like me man. :D

3. dawgXdenta

"6700's aren't announced, did you mean 6800 vanilla? ($579 msrp USD)"

Hey Judas, thanks for all the questions and thoughts man. I'm setting aside max $600 for the new 6000 series Radeon cards and will wait and see what market-place manufacturers do. &Yes that is MSRP

"Should do well, CL16 is plenty good enough latency, far as what i can see, it's pointless to go to CL15, and better to simply make a move to CL14, but frankly better off just getting 3800-4000mhz if you really wanted, personally 3600mhz is sufficient and cost effective, so you should be more than happy"
    What brand of Ram would you suggest. Crucial is fine right?

Do you intend on running 2x to 3x power hungry graphics cards? I wouldn't advice anything over 750watt unless you intend on getting a 3090 equivilent down the road
    Just the 1 Gfx card

I'd say you should be able to save yourself a few dollars... if you really want the extra power, max 850watt. Modern drives don't eat much wattage, specially if they are SSDs.
    I guess then I'll go for a 750watt. I would have at least 5 drives. But I see that even with that consumption will be low.

"As far as what i'm seeing, the 5000 series ryzen in 500 series mainboards should be bootable, but will require a further bios update... essentially allowing you to post, plug in flash drive with bios on it, update.. then proceed to use machine normally.

Also regarding the samsung 980 pro.... is the 970 evo plus or even 970 pro cheaper for you? IMO the 980 pro is basically an evo style upgrade... frankly it shouldn't be called a pro IMO."

I'm not really sure which one I'm gonna get. The 980 Evo's is more affordable, but is the the evo plus performance worth the extra 50 bucks price tag?

Calliers likes this.
  4. dawgXdenta

Yeah. Thanks guys really 1000watt is overkill. I'm gonna transfer over my stuff for work from old hdd to ssds a which will be my storage and nvme as my base.

Calliers likes this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the evo plus 970 over the 970 evo... is worth the dollar difference imo. but the 980 pro isn't worth the extra money right now.

also crucial for ram is my go too right now.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  6. dawgXdenta

If I did that, I wouldn't afford a PC.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  7. Calliers

:p

8. center_table

center_table Member

Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Master – Motherboard with 3 M.2 Slots

This is the best in the lot if you seek high performance with the latest 10th gen Intel Processors. When it comes to functions, a number of M.2 slots as well as value for money, nothing beats this.

This is an Intel motherboard with 3 M.2 Slots. Therefore, as far as default expansion goes, you are pretty much covered.

However, if you want to expand even further, you would be able to do so thanks to 3 x PCIEx16 slots working in 16x 8x and 4x modes.

Besides an extensive array of SSD connectivity, this motherboard also offers plenty of heatsinks in order to keep your drives and the motherboard cool.

As such, this is a motherboard built for gamers and for high-performance usage. So basically if you want a motherboard with 3 M.2 slots, just be prepared to dish out a pretty penny.

It can support a large 128 GB of DDR 4 RAM and if you seek to overclock, you would be able to do so.

This motherboard also features built-in WiFi, as such, you wouldn’t need to reserve one of your PCIE slot for a WiFi Card. You can use it instead for SSD expansion cards.

Note that thanks to the newer chipset, it features the latest WiFi 6 protocol.

All in all, if you need M.2 and SSD heaven, then this is the best motherboard with M.2.

9. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to recommend anything Intel right now...

QB

10. Judas

it's impossible to recommend anything intel at all..... it was hard to with the zen launch in 2017.... and it's only gotten harder to basically being rather silly to remotely suggest it in the last year +.... and now it's fundamentally irrational to suggest it vs the 5000 ryzens.

11. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Exactly... besides, why does one really need 3 M.2 drives? It's such an edge case that it's hard to even bring up... plus there are x570 boards with 3+ as well...

It's almost like the above post was paid by Intel to try in desperation to keep Intel relevant :p

QB

12. Calliers

Come come now, be nice, she was just trying to be helpful. I believe some people still trust in Intel because they basically have always used Intel. Brand loyalty they call it.

13. Judas

the entry level Phantom Gaming 4 x570 board from asrock has 3x m.2 slots, one is a E slot (which can still be used by ssd)... the 2 others are full speed pci-ex slots.

Personally i'd only populate in most cases, the primary slot with OS and game/programs drive and the 2nd slot with a large ssd like a QVO from samsung.

If anyone needed more though, 1x and 4x m.2 to ~> pci-ex slot cards are readily available.

and if you needed that level of horse power, you'd be looking at threadripper anyways for the pci-ex lanes.

14. dawgXdenta

Hey guys just an update. So the winner is.............ASROCK X570 Taichi :D

Really loving the discussion I've learned alot from everyone. Newegg's Black Friday Specials are on and can save up tp 50 bucks for some purchases. The ASROCK X570 Taichi is cheaper and has very similair options to the Gigabyte AOURUS Master and the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero. The Hero is such a sexy looking thing, but that $370 pricetag is something out of my price-range. Judas as well as Calliers have personal experiences with Asrock & Asrock was the motherboard to my very first rig, in the Athlon days.

Thanks QB71 for the test too. I am going to aim for a 750W coz of your experiment.

Now I am waiting for the new CPUs and GPUs to be out. And then we can get started.

15. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

A nice 750W Gold or Platinum fully modular PSU will be a great heart of your system

QB

ps guys/gals... just call me QB... I was not able to use QB (it's the way my last name sounds :p ) since I think it was too short when I signed up..

Calliers likes this.
  16. Judas

yeah a nice platinum modular psu would be glorious from the likes of corsair/silverstone/cooler master/evga

Calliers likes this.
  17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

18. Judas

again this is exclusively for single ranked... if you use 2x dual rank modules.. you'll see the same results.

this applied to ryzen 3000 as well

interleaving of memory ranks is from what was surmised with the results on 3000... appears to be even better on ryzen 5000

19. dawgXdenta

Hey Guys so good news - bad news. Here is my build.

Asrock X570 Tai-chi
    Amd ryzen 3800X
    Evga 750 GA
    Patriot Steel series 2x32 3600mhz
    Temp( 1TB WD blue SDD)

I got everything at a rather good price because of black friday prices. Saving hundreds of bucks. That's the good news.

The bad news is after installing everything ok I get error code cycles and no bootup at all. Can't even get into the bios screen.
    Dr. debug gives me error codes 43, 62, 64, 98. These all seem to be issues relating to memory/cpu.

I reinstalled the CPU just to make sure the CPU wasn't damaged..... No luck there. the CPU seems fine. So I am left with a few options of why I am getting these codes.

1. Memory incompatible with board
    2. MB is faulty.
    3. RAM is faulty.

The problem is without extra parts or an extra pc there is no way I can test either theory.

I am really bummed. Sorry Calliers. I was really hoping to surprise you with a call and say let's game. :'-(.

I have looked to check MB compatibility with the Ram and it looks like I'm not the ONLY one who had this issue. Seems like the MB struggles with certain RAM running at 3600Mhz. Also my ram is not on the full list. Don't know why because this ram was made for Amd Mobos.

If I can only get into the bios and set lower clocks for the ram, instead of the default 3600mhz..... But either way I have no way of knowing without testing each part seperately.....I still have my 30 days and can return everything which is a bother!

20. Judas

What happens if you pull the ram modules, insert just one into the first slot, attempt, then try the 2nd slot... attempt, then so on. Then once all 4 slots are tried, swap to the other modules and only try it in the first, then 2nd... and so on.

What does the cpu error code report if you fire up without the memory installed at all?

QVL lists are irrelevant, don't waste your time even looking at a QVL list because all mobo manufacturers do is have a handful of modules on hand, in order to verify that jedec is working @ 2133mhz, the memory is never thoroughly tested, nor is it set at any kind of speed.

Your cheapest avenue to figuring out what might be up, is to pick up a 4 or 8 gb stick of any kind of generic ram, arguably crucial would be my go to for a quick test, make sure you can return it of course at no restocking cost.

Chances are it's memory, sometimes we just get unlucky.

ALSO, they won't default to 3600mhz, they will always default to 2133mhz, 3600mhz is considered an "overclock" and can only be set by manually cranking it up. If 3600mhz was defaulted, those modules would never work in other systems ever due to for example intel having memory limitations forced lower for some of their cpus. 3600mhz isn't the problem, it's MOST likely just a bad kit of memory.