Help building a new rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by dawgXdenta, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Hey dudes and dudettes, just got off the phone with @dawgXdenta and he was able to get the machine running. Finally. Here's to good times ahead. :)

dawgXdenta likes this.
  2. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Thanks alot Judas. I know that with your many years of building experience that would come in handy.

It has been many years since I installed ram. And my old Mobo used the 3,4 configuration. So that's what I used at first. When I realized hey this isn't an old board I checked #2, then #2 & #4. Each time resetting bios. Nothing worked.

Anyway to cut a long story short, it was incorrectly placed ram + incorrectly configured bios for the ram + there wasn't enough thermal paste on the cpu.

there was already an amount of paste that came by default with the board. It just wasn't enough and the cpu didn't like it at all.....it threw a heckava fit. It's only after cleaning the cpu of the old paste reapplying it, resetting the cmos did the board finally greet me with open arms.

Dyre Straits and Calliers like this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

good to hear

getting a refresher on building after so long bound to run into a few snags

Calliers and dawgXdenta like this.
  4. dawgXdenta

Thanks everyone on this thread here are the results!

Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  5. Calliers

Looking good @dawgXdenta, looking good. Also I recommend going for one of the newer Radeon cards as opposed to Nvidia. You'll save some money and be able to take advantage of that new high bandwidth feature too.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  6. Judas

least it's running.... you can venture into the 3200 or 3600mhz range later and if it refuses, usually asrock is pretty good at loading last working or defaults after a failed multiple posts (sometimes it'll restart 4 times before reverting).

though i've yet to not be able to run 3600mhz on any ryzen 2000 and 3000 cpus (however all of the kits i've used are exclusively crucial)

Calliers likes this.
  7. dawgXdenta

What speed is yours running at and what's your cooling look like.

8. Calliers

Dude just up it to 3600 Mhz, AMD processors love high speed RAM. And Patriot is usually good for it. I use Patriot RAM rated for 3600 Mhz and running at 3600 Mhz myself.

9. Judas

I'm running my 3600x with crucial 2x16gb 3600mhz memory on my asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 board.

I just have the stock heatsink on the 3600x, and it's stuffed into my Silverstone Raven 02 that i've had since essentially 2011.

Last i checked, running stock settings, aside from enabling xmp and putting it into pure UEFI mode (disable legacy csm, enable secure boot), i recently hit 4.486GHz on a couple cores while peaking at 78C.

10. Judas

just for reference

[​IMG]

Just a note... this is something i'd only toy around with if you feel bored after having had the system up and running for a couple months without issues.

the base clock with spread spectrum enabled (which is default) often hovers around as you can see, just a hair below 100mhz. Some boards, usually other brands aside from asrock, have been shown to be running 98mhz or even 97mhz. People have seen a nice bump in performance both in single and all core clocks by manually driving the base clock up to 100/100.5/101mhz It's not much, but it does tend to result in some nice higher single core clocks at least for some people.

It doesn't work for everyone, so don't be surprised to have to clear cmos to get up and running again if you get a no post situation.

Calliers likes this.