Help diagnosing a problem PC that I cant physically get my hands on

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

So lockdown no travelling doing this all by phone (used to be my job but hey im out of practice)

So my friends son has built a pc and until about 4 months ago all was well then he started getting massive framrate drops, hitching and high cpu temps ... hitting 70 degrees with fan running at 100% all the time

He has replaced the fan on the CPU with new one I asked him how he went about it and TBH it seems he did all he should, Fan replacement was done to try and remedy temp issue so its probably not part of the issue

the fact that he had a year of no issue made me think drivers but he has then updated all those drivers multiple times so then I was thinking hardware

problem is no way of switching anything out he has no parts and all shops are shut and TBH I want to see if I can offer a solution without spending

so I was hoping someone might have an idea

He cab play fine for an hour then massive spike in temp and loss of performance on even the most undemanding of games ... reboot all good for an hour or so

spec is

Powercolor Radeon RX 5700Xt
    Asus Tuf B450 Plus
    1 x 16 GIG Corsair Vengance LPX
    CPU is a Ryzen 7 3800xt

cheers guys

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

When you say "spike in temperature", you mean an actual sudden rise from normal temps to those causing throttling, or is it a slow buildup that takes an hour or so? Because I'm really not sure what would cause a sudden spike.

If it's a sudden spike... it would mean that something happens around that point. Fan snags? (doubtful) Something electrical on the motherboard goes bad, causing high or dirty voltage to go to the CPU? Something demanding gets triggered in the background (like a mining trojan)?

Does he have a spare partition on the PC? Just to see if it would happen on a fresh Windows install.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So this problem arises when in Windows only and not when in BIOS?
    When in Windows only after a certain amount of time no matter what he does, or only after an hour or playing a game?

It could be a driver issue or a Windows update issue. I assume things happened after he did an update or two?
    More info?

The easiest thing he can do is restore from a previous point before the problems appeared. See if that helps.

If that is impossible, completely remove drivers, especially GPU, and then do a clean installation of them.

IvanV likes this.
  4. Mr Cairo

He seems to indicate that it just happens he doesn't notice a build up he says its fine and then its not can take an hour or longer but has happened after only 10 minutes while playing COD (that originally made me think heat was the issue)

I have also told him to sit and run taskmanager on his second monitor as he plays and watch to see if anything shows upon there as it goes wrong

Partition idea is good I will see if I can sort that with him

I haven't been able to get him to do anything on the PC itself yet the first I spoke to him was last night and he had already travelled back to cardiff for his Job (back here on fri) and his PC is here in Neath

I cant imagine that he would have gone into the bios at all but from what I am getting this is purely a game thing he can browse all day and have no issues, I noticed we had the same MOBO so i pointed him in the direction of the latest Chipset drivers from that website and told him to install them

There is also a BIOS update on there and he has never done that so I have told him to leave that for now and just install the chipset ones see what happens

Im hoping its driver based

cheers guys

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Trusteft and IvanV like this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

get him to download hwinfo and run the 64 excutable and get it to log. Let it run for a few minutes at desktop.. then fire up a game with hwinfo running on the 2nd display and then when it gets too the stuttering mess, stop and let the system sit at desktop for say 5 minutes, then save the log and share it.

I've seen bad PSUs cause rapid temperature spikes, if the voltage delivered is iffy, compensation for the draw requirements can get things smoking hot.

If the VRMs are working overtime (which have no sensors), it'll cause serious issues. Typically this is not a problem unless you get one of the nutoriously bad boards (which i'm sure was mostly limited to msi and gigabyte boards for a short time).

IvanV, Trusteft and Mr Cairo like this.
  6. Mr Cairo

That sounds like something he can wrap his head around Thanks Judas I will post results as soon as he manages to do this.