After entering all my information and credit card number on the drivercleaner.net download page, I was linked to a page with no download link. I thought it was perhaps do to firefox disabling scripts on the page, so I enabled them and re-entered my credit card information. No luck, same page. I then switch to internet explorer and went through the same process. Same result. I went to check my online banking account to see if I had been charged anything, and I had been charged THREE TIMES for this product. I have e-mailed drivercleaner.net about this and have received no response. I am seeking help here as a last resort before I call my bank and the BBB.