help fixing 137gb limit. not in the mood for a format....

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by xenium, Feb 16, 2006.

1. xenium

xenium New Member

ok, so I've had my new pc setup for a couple weeks now, and I have windows xp home installed. todaay, I was checking to see how much space I had left on my 160gb WD, and well, right now its showing up as 137gb instead of a full 160gb. when I installed xp home, I also formatted the drive. the cd only had sp1 on it, but I know have sp2 installed. how do I fix this and make my hdd the full 160gb? I don't feel like formatting, but if I have to, I will most likely when I start to get low on space. I read somewhere though that you could format the drive with just sp1 installed, and when sp2 was installed, it would fix it? I guess I was wrong. btw. its in ntfs format if it matters.

2. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

Do you know how to use the disc-management snap-in? You could just extend your primary partition onto the unused space.

[​IMG]

BTW, your "160GB" drive will never show up at 160, probably ab out 152 or so. . .

rasta

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

snap-in is probably your best bet like Rasta said

you could also try a program like diskeeper to manage your drive(s), I use it and it's really not bad at all, and will help you through the proccess.

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i spent a year learning this crap, but apparently it never stuck seeeing as i have no idea how to use the snap in menus.

[​IMG]

5. Rasta Monsta

Well, right-click where it says "unallocated" and you should be able to see the option to extend your existing C partition into the unused space. If not, try right clicking your Primary partition and tell me what options you see.

(I don't remember exactly. . .this is one of those times when Remote Assistance would be helpful).

6. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

on un-allocated my options are new partition, properties, help.

on the primary partition, my options are open, explorer, change driver letter/path, properties, help.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

you will not be able to extend the boot/system partition(s) with the Windows operating system booted.

with the GUI mode of Windows's partitioning tools, you can create, delete, format partition, assign or change drive letters, enter or rename drive/partition labels and get information about the partitions. you cannot move or resize any type of partitions with the Windows's partitioning tools,

to move a partition to another location on the hard drive or resize it, the easiest way, you would need to use a third-party partitioning software program, and typically this must be done from a DOS (or other operating system) before Windows boots.

8. Rasta Monsta

Ha, yep, I have been using Partition Magic so long I thought resizing operations were available through Windows.

Perhaps you can find a demo somewhere. . .PM7 works great

9. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

the Diskpart.exe (Microsoft Diskpart Application) command line tool can sometime be used to extend/expand the existing system/boot partition, but it needs to be ran before Windows loads.

go for a third-party partitioning software solutions because it has more options and easier to use.

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

As mentioned above, 160 GB HDDs won't show up in Windows as 160 GB. Mine show up as 148 GB.

11. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

your hard drive is now has the formatted capacity of 148 GB (from an unformatted capacity of 160 GB) which is normal.

i think, the initial question was about the 137 GB (137/137.4 GB or 128 GB decimal / binary measurements) hard drive capacity limitation. the caused of this problem either the hardware only has 24-bits LBA, hardware required for firmware updates to properly support 48-bit LBA, or the installed operating system does not support 48-bit LBA.

12. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I was referring to this portion of the original question. He stated that he had a 160 GB HD that is showing as 137 GB. Just making sure he understands that he won't see the full 160 GB available regardless of other considerations. :)

13. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

ok, that would make perfect sence to me if the questions had been worded differently.

=======================
    help fixing 137gb limit. not in the mood for a format....

ok, so I've had my new pc setup for a couple weeks now, and I have windows xp home installed. todaay, I was checking to see how much space I had left on my 160gb WD, and well, right now its showing up as 137gb instead of a full 160gb. when I installed xp home, I also formatted the drive. the cd only had sp1 on it, but I know have sp2 installed. how do I fix this and make my hdd the full 160gb? I don't feel like formatting, but if I have to, I will most likely when I start to get low on space. I read somewhere though that you could format the drive with just sp1 installed, and when sp2 was installed, it would fix it? I guess I was wrong. btw. its in ntfs format if it matters.
    =======================

i tend to try to understand the question. :)

14. Rasta Monsta

It will still show as 150-something, tho. . .more than 137.