HELP !!! GETTING A NEW MOBO (P4)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by GREEKRAGE, Sep 4, 2002.

1. GREEKRAGE

GREEKRAGE Guest

Ok guys i finaly got some cash together for my upgrade(happy as baby in a candy factory)..
    Ok i found a really nice looking mobo with ALOT of goodies but i need to know if its dependable/stable /easy to OC etc.

THIS IS THE BABY

well please take al look and tell me what you think.

i will be fitting it with a P4 2 or 2.4 gig (depends on how soon we see the new prices).

Also does anyone know how much i can OC either of these 2 CPUs with its factory cooling ???

thanks in advance friends.

:D

2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Have you seen any reiviews for it? What options were you thinking about going with? Of coures the the last and most important question. How much?

3. GREEKRAGE

GREEKRAGE Guest

Well first the price is about 154 euro plus tax (181 euro) which is also 182 USD (price is almost the same today).

I havent really read any reviews but to tell you the truth i dont trust them so thats why i ask you guys that may have some experience with this mobo.

If i go for a AMD 2000+ what mobo would you suggest with goodies like (4 usbs raid onboard sound etc.) ??

Price of a P4 2.4 is still around 270 usd here and i havent seen anyone show the redused prices yet so i have to plan for the AMD also.

4. GREEKRAGE

GREEKRAGE Guest

JACKPOT !!!

I can have the best of both worlds !!

I just noticed while looking through Chaintechs page that they have the same mobo but for AMD (yes Wolf you heard me right) and its cheaper by 30 bucks too.

AMD mobo

now i need some info on which CPU to get : i found an amd athlon xp 2100+ for 188 USD.
    The damn 2200 is about 60 usd more and that puts a dent in my budget so is the 2100 ok ??

Also the ram i can afford right now is a stick of : 256mb PC2700 333 (life time garantee probably kingston) for 112 usd (can someone check to see if it works with the above config please? )

I know i sound like a noob but i cant risk ordering wrong (cause of distance) and the fact that Wolf ( IT BETTER WORK !! ) forced me to get an AMD that i have no previous knowledge of.

5. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

If you want a P4 check out Googlegear a 2.4g 533 fsb 512L2 cache is going for 205. DDr memory is 20$ cheaper there than at Newegg. Lots of new mobos and chipsets coming out the Abit SR7-8X was supposed to be in at Newegg today but they've taken down the 9/04 due date. Also the XP's are cheaper there as well a 2100 goes for 130 I believe the 2200 for 150.

6. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

mmm just under £91 a steal :D ... i might just buy one ;)

7. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Look into a cheap OEM, and a GOOD heatsink, and fan... that will run you about the same as retail... but will keep the Athlon cooler than the stock HSF... Since you said that you wanted to overclock... this is a far better option. :) look into googlegear, or http://www.TCWO.com ... Either one of those should be a good choice... and if push comes to shove (which it may....) I will ship you the stuff personally from the states... Just find the best prices you can.

8. GREEKRAGE

GREEKRAGE Guest

LOL

Ok i just put the order in for :

Chaintech 7VJL APOGEE

AMD Athlon XP 2100+

And 256 ddr pc2700 333 lifetime (Viking)

and to my suprise the web page had an OEM CPU so as i was placing the order the
    phone the sales rep asked if i already have a HSF ??
    Finaly he explained that they forgot to post it as oem and we picked out a GLOABALWIN but i dont know which one and from the price im sure its pretty good (45 USD).
    He didnt know model as it had just been recieved and wasnt in the paper work yet.

BUT i trusted him as from our little conversasion it turned out he had knowlegde of what he was doing and was a OCer himself.

BTW thanks for the offer WOLF.
    :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

P.S I forgot to mention the total price of the above for the curious ones.

It was a total of 495 USD COD
    I know its pricy for you guys in the US but its normal for here.

9. rushstrike

rushstrike New Member

And just exactly are you planning to do with you new system? I thought gaming are banned!

10. GREEKRAGE

GREEKRAGE Guest

Ok trust me when i say that:

The so called "new law" will not pass or be fully applied (at least into ones home)
    Think of what will happen to the PC market alone if it does(we are talking major money loss)
    The government is trying to get ppl to spend money alot lately and alot of that cash is spent on computers here in greece lately.
    I really dont think or believe that its to their benefit to do so and like i said in the flaming zone ...its very close to elections.

In anycase i will NEVER stop playing and i can always get new games via internet if i have to.
    There hasnt been one case of a private citizen arrested so far (it would have been on all the channels as a top story).

Just another stupid law that will pass by and be forgotten like alot of laws they voted in the last 2 years.

11. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

P3 1000@1050 BUT ONLY FOR 5 MORE DAYS!!
    MB QDi Advance 10F : LOOK ABOVE
    512 mb sdram pc133 LOOK EVEN HIGHER
    GeForce3 Ti 500 64 mb ddr (MSI 8854)O/C 275 -575
    Screen:Samsung 17inch 750ST
    Using Omegas latest set..allways !!
    Ricoh burner
    Pioneer dvd 106s(slot)
    SoundBlaster live value
    OS:win2k primary but have in multiboot win98sec,winMe, winXP
    BTW: TRIBES2 RULES !!
    and LONG LIVE ...WyreTheWolf !!!!!

LMAO!

12. GREEKRAGE

GREEKRAGE Guest

LOL I knew you would get a kick out of it...!!!!!

Woof Woof !!! :p