[Help] How to disable DSP in "24/96 Router" and use only WaveHQ?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by r3b, Nov 7, 2005.

1. r3b

r3b New Member

Hi guys i need your help!

I recentyl installed HQSoftProc_Software_Resampling V4 for Winamp and the newest MAD Plug in for Winamp.

In the readme of HQSoftProc... they recommend to use kX drivers and a configuration like that:

[recommended setup]

use KX drivers (at least 3538h), but be aware to use WaveHQ and disable DSP in "24/96 Router"

Can you guys now help me how to confiigure to use only WaveHQ and disable this DSP in "24/96 Router" in the KX drivers. I would be very thankfull to you if you would help me.

Greetz r3b

2. r3b

r3b New Member

Guys whats wrong with you i thought it is a relative simple task to do that ?
    No one of you know the answer or am i in the wrong board ?

3. r3b

r3b New Member

I finally know now how to disable the DSP in 24/96 Router Submenu. But if i want to enable WaveHQ in the Multimedia Properties Menue/Audio/Standardplayback/Standardhardware/kx Wave SB0240 10k2 [d0000] HQ i cant hear any sound. Can you guys tell me please how to fix this problem ? Thx!

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Right click on the KX mixer Icon in the task tray, then select 'KX 24/96 Router' - then ,there are 4 swiches that connect either the 10Kx or P16V to the I2S and/or SPDIF outputs. If I understand correctly.

I assume they want you to 'break' (turn off) the connection from 10Kx to I2S or SPDIF or both ??

edit: I just read your other post.

Be warned not all p16V outputs are connected in the default DSP config.

Swap Front and Rear channels will affect which output on the p16v is front and rear - so swapping the front & rears affects what p16v output to use as the front.

I do something similar with win amp - but I use ffdshow

with a cleared DSP I connect ONLY the p16V outputs to the front/rear/center-lfe of profx Kxlt - I keep all switchs 'on' in the 24/96 router.
    And of course winamps 'output' plugin's output is sent to wave HQ - I dont think win MM settings make any difference with winamp unless the 'default output device' is selected or is used by the winamp output plugin. But mine (win mm settings) are set to wave HQ anyway.
    Im not familiar with those particular winamp plugins, but most allow to set which output device to use, that I have seen.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Oops.

The p16V outputs are as follows (Swap front/ rear 'OFF')

P16V pinout

FRONT L
    FRONT R
    CENTER
    LFE
    ??
    ??
    REAR L
    REAR R

The swar front and rear will swap the p16v outputs also as I recall.

6. r3b

r3b New Member

Thx for help Maddog but you still couldnt help me regarding to the WaveHq problem or im still to dumb to understand what u wrote :dead:. What do i have to do to set up the kX drivers properly to make WaveHQ work ? The Winamp Configuration is no problem until now...

Sys:
    Audigy 2
    kX driver "h"
    DSP is already off in 24/96 Router
    2.1 Channel Setup
    WinXP

7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Are you comfortable with changing the KX DSP?
    I hope so, in the dsp window.. Right click - Clear DSP
    The add the P16V module and the K2LT
    Connect the top P16V outputs (Front L&R) to the top connections of K2lt
    Dbl click on the K2lt and set the TOP dropdown to what ever output you want to have the sound come out of. (Front, rear, headphones on Front panel if you have a platinum etc.)

In the KX mixer turn OFF 'SWAP FRONT AND REAR'

Warning it takes some time to understand whats happeneing with the 'swap' but I found with A2's its a setting for SBLives mostly and It just seems to causes A2 users confusion (IMHO).

Note The swap front setting affects the P16V module AND the K2lt
    So when its swapped - the front outs of the P16V are at the bottom and the K2lt needs to have the top set to 'Rear ANALOG out'

8. r3b

r3b New Member

Thank you very much it seem to work now :w00t: :rofl: !! I made a screenshot to show you my actual configuration. Can you check this screen and give me some advise what is still to change for the setup i want ? And how can i restore the original DSP settings just for the case...

Screenshoot:
    mitglied.lycos.de/bkfhw2004/kx.jpg

9. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yup - except theres some small 'details' I should point out.

so you know - the P16V outouts are as follows - they should correlate to the K2lt 'slots' (dropdowns, not sure how to explain this part)

P16V (from top to bottom, when swap front & rears is 'off' )

- FRONT L
    - FRONT R
    - CENTER
    - LFE
    - ??
    - ??
    - Rear L
    - Rear R

So to fix your setup.

Make the drop downs in the K2lt as follows (top to bottom)

1&2 - Analog Front
    3&4 - Analog Center/LFE
    5&6 - (dont care - coresponding pins on P16V never shows signal)
    7&8 - Analog Rear

Now, in the mixer you show that the I2S (recording) is set to 'I2S0' - this setting is moot - its for recording only.

The other settings in the 24/96 router are the same as me
    - but there are times I turn on and off the connection of the DSP to the I2S. So dont forget this setting if in the future if/when other things wont work.

To recover the default dsp config - right click 're-initialize DSP'

I recommend saving settings for the various 'specific' or unique DSP configs (and that 24/96 router setting) - Like I have one for sonar/music production (which loads more sound fonts into memory), one for media playback (like yours above, but I added some stuff like eqs and compressor) etc..

I also recommend - saving the default DSP (and all other settings) in a default_init.kx file - like sound fonts, router settings (I use them), 24/96 router settings (That dsp-I2s connect), automation, etc..

I then load the default_init.kx file INSTEAD of right click 're-init dsp' -as it wont load/change those other settings.

10. r3b

r3b New Member

Thanks a lot for your great help i finally understood it now ;).

11. mrfx

mrfx New Member

I don't get it, what have you written. AFAIK if you want to disable DSP and play music directly in 24/96 (and avoid internal resampling in DSP), the 10k2 should be disconnected in Kx 24/96 Router, or p16v should be removed from DSP (or all DSP may be clear too) and you still should hear a sound. It may be certainly checked, for ex. use Foobar with following configuration: playback output data format: 24bit padded to 32bit or 32bit, resampler (internal or 3rd party - no matter) on and set to 48000 or higher, output method kernel streaming, kX Wave ... HQ (kernel streaming is only to make sure that Foobar sends sound in proper format). I checked it on Audigy 2ZS and it works even when DSP was empty at all.

12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

If you use digital speakers - then yes - you need to keep AC3 signals out of the DSP - BUT, we are decoding and outputting to analog outs - whiche we do IN the kx dsp.

If DSP is empty - the 24/96 router prolly is sending P16V out to SPDIF or I2S directly (bypassing DSP)

13. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

if the p16v plugin is not in the DSP, and the default sounmd device is wave HQ the dsp is not being utilised. You can turn off the 10k2 output from the 24/96 router (right click the mixer to get to it)

simply click the buttons leading from the 10k2 box

14. mrfx

mrfx New Member

Hmmm, playing music in winamp using kx wave hq - without having p16v in kx dsp and/or clear dsp and/or disabled 10k2 in kx 24/96 router works for me on analog outs too (SB0350). More, even if p16v is enabled in kx dsp, but none of effects are used then there's no sound at out of 10k2 in kx 24/96 router. I don't know why it won't work for r3b (SB0240). Is it depends on card type?

15. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Maybe its a card specific problem..??

I assume its a setting not understood / set correctly in KX or DVD player.. ?? I dunno

But heres how I see how the 24/96 router works...

The Buttons select if the 10K2 (DSP) or the P16V (WAVHQ device) DIRECTLY connects to the SPDIF (Physical Digital outs) or the I2S (Physical Analog Outs) -

The P16V - SPDIF one is required to PASS thru AC3 to what ever SPDIF port is select in the MIXER.

Now when I watch a DVD (SW AC3 decode), listen to winamp (SRC to 24/96) - these signals are taken from the P16V plugin in KX DSP - but default DSP is not best for wave hq use as ONLY stereo can be used (the P16V plugin has only 2 lines used).

I turn off the 10K - I2S connection so that this direct connection, is not sent to my analog speakers (reguardless of DSP configuration) -
    With a clear DSP - and using Wave HQ, will be silent at this point.

If using Analog speakers AND using Wave HQ in winamp or SW AC3 decode:
    Turn off P16V - I2S connection in KX router, and connect P16V outs (pins 1/2, 3/4, 7/8) to ANALOG FRONT, C-LFE, REAR outs in KX DSP

If using Digital (multi SPDIF port) Speakers AND wave HQ in Winamp or SW AC3 decode:
    Turn off P16V - SPDIF connection in KX 24/96 router and connect P16V outs (pins 1/2, 3/4, 7/8) to DIGITAL FRONT, C-LFE, REAR outs in KX DSP.

If using external AC3 decoder (like an HT receiver) for winamp:
    Option 1: KX 'Dolbypl' upmix to AC3 (using 'redocne' found in these forums)
    Turn off P16V - SPDIF connection AND connect P16V (Pins 1/2, 3/4, 7/8) through the 'Dolbypl' plugin to ASIO channels 1/2, 3/4, 7/8 in KX DSP.
    Run redocne (set up using proper ASIO channels) out puting AC3 re-encoded signal to external decoder.
    OPTION2: AC3 bypass to external encoder TURN ON P16V - SPDIF in 24/96 router - then enable AC3 pass through and select your desired port in KX Mixer.

There are prolly more options... but my point is..
    what kind of speakers you use can make a huge difference with how things are done.