Help me help my son!!!

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The latest Star Trek Online that he plays is popping up a message that his Direct3D is out of date and he needs to update to Direct3D 12. I "think" they mean DirectX 12....which he does already have since he's using Windows 10 and an HD 7970 GPU with very recent drivers.

BUT, he keeps insisting that there's a Direct3D 12 somewhere out there! But, the AMD drivers show that Direct3D is a "9........." version.

How can I get through that, at least as I understand it, DirectX and Direct3D are two different animals? From what I can determine, some developers...or whomever they are...are confusing the two where DirectX is the package and Direct3D is simply a component of the package?

Or, someone enlighten me if I'm wrong!

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Windows 10 is natively directx12 provided the video adapter supports it (which ALL HD7750's and up are directx12/vulkan/mantle functional).

The game however is directx9.x functional.. it's d3d driver is d3d9.x.... but it does show directx11 function (d3d11) as a selectable option.

I can't seem to find anything suggestiong d3d12 functionality.... recent update? Is the game actually crashing?

3. Dyre Straits

My impression is that the game is flagging the wrong component on people's system. I just ran DXDIAG on my own system and, when I view the Displays, this is what i get....

D3D12.jpg

That should take care of whatever it is the game is looking for.

But, not only my son, but others on the forum I checked are complaining that the game is stating that their drivers are out of date. Even when they have the latest drivers installed. In one case, someone was able to fix it by using a certain WHQL set of drivers. So, maybe the game doesn't like the hotfix drivers. Who knows?

I did also see one thread where a warning was posted that DirectX 9 was going to end being supported in March, 2017 and users should upgrade to DirectX 11.

The whole issue .... with them...and with my son....has my head spinning. I think it's totally on the developers' end where the problem lies.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If you drop a DX wrapper in the main folder, say SweetFX/ENB.. I wonder if the game would stop reporting the error.

Or even forcing DX9 by adding -d3d9 to the command line for the game. Can't recall, but I think it's more involved than that. I think you have to disable dx11, and enable dx9 in the same line. Something like "-disabled3d11 -d3d9".. or some such.

5. Judas

it's almost a guarantee that the developers have dropped the ball... it's not the first time i've seen something like that... in fact there have been numerous games that report out of date drivers for a year or 2... simply because it's detection method for it was obsolete.

6. Dyre Straits

Let's resolve this part: What is the latest version of Direct3D?

The latest AMD drivers on my system show this: 9.14.10.01235

My son insists that there's a D3D 12 supposed to be available. If so, where?

7. Judas

AMD's driver version is 9.14.10.01235 of the directx12 and below functionality
    Nvidia's has a similarly unrelatable driver version for their d3d driver of the directx12 and below

DirectX12 or D3D are part of the Microsoft OS, the runtimes are automatically updated by the developers. Being able to run a specific version of DirectX requires a driver that supports the functionality....

Basically it's apples and oranges... there is a relation, but it's irrelevant in this case.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Here's another. Direct from MS' site (underline and bolding is mine :p ):
    • DirectX 11.3 and DirectX 12.0 are included in Windows 10.
    Note: There is no stand-alone update package for DirectX 11.3 or DirectX 12.0.
    • DirectX 11.2 is included in Windows 8.1, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 R2.
    Note : There is no stand-alone update package for DirectX 11.2. You can only install this DirectX version through Windows Update in Windows 8.1, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 R2.

Can't get any more straight forward than that.

9. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

10. Dyre Straits

After simply logging in to Live Chat...due to the fact that my original account had gotten lost in the shuffle of all the new and various hosts that have come along...I also mentioned the issue with AMD cards. It IS a technical issue with the game and a ticket was issued. Which is not the first ticket I've ever issued and have yet to actually get any resolution from doing so. So.....not holding my breath since I really don't play this game myself anymore. But, I do have my Veteran status recovered and my original characters.