Help! - Microphone wont record

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dashz, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Dashz

Dashz New Member

Hello everyone!
    I had some problems with my onboard soundcard so i installed my old SB Live with the KX drivers.
    Performance is good so far but i cant record any sound with my microphone, i tried 4 different mics and nothing; its completely dead.

Im new to the configuration of these drivers so its probably some setting im missing.

My sound card is a SB Live - CT4832 10k1; im running Windows XP SP2.
    Drivers Version 5.10.0.3541 (BETA).

Thanks in advance!

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

1) you need a mic that is compatible with the sound card (Re: 2 or 3 conductor - usually 3 conductor type - looks like a stereo 3.5 mm headphone plug) - Are Electret or Condenser mics meant for PC use.

2) the mic - as in 'the mic jack on the sound cards metal PCI slot mounting plate - is 'AC97' based - and thus you need to adjust the kX Mixer AC97 page - This is a sort of 'sub mixer' of all the AC97 based inputs.

3) The kX Mixer Recording page also needs adjustment so you can 'record' the AC97 'submix'

For more details...
    MD6 - KX Mic Setup(default DSP config)

3. Dashz

Dashz New Member

Thanks a lot! i could fix it with the guide!
    Was missing to adjust the AC97 Rec level bars.

Thanks again Maddogg6 ;)

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

it's actually "electret condenser" ;)

special sort of condenser mic that is "pre-charged" during manufacturing, so there's no need for phantom power (or at least that's the idea)

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

erm... 'pre-charged' ?? :duh: Im sorry but thats nutty (and wrong), it sounds like they have a nuclear power generator or something...lol

Electrets do need a +V to work (like phantom power) but much lower than phantom power, usually 5-10V DC.
    Some electrets have 3 conductor plugs - 1 is for a +V.

The 2 conductor types are not compatible with sound cards that expect the 3 conductor types. They instead, have a DC bias on the input to power the mic, the mic amp is designed a bit differently to accommodate this way of supplying V+ to the mic element.

Some 'condensers' - back in a day, needed a 9V battery to power them, had a 2 conductor plug - and would not be compatible either.

My Audigy Drives Mic input can be configured to work with a 3 conductor electret mic with a jumper on the IO drive. (Condenser or Dynamic jumper)

I have seen electrets labeled as 'condenser', with out mentioning 'electret' - I have never actually seen 'electret condenser' on a mic before. The biggest clue was the 'meant for PC use' besides.

But what ever, the OP got it working.

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

this is just from secondary school physics, but an electret condenser has a design that gives a permanent charge to one side of the diaphragm, though it will lose it over time (hence the low backup voltage provided by consumer devices)

7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Oh - I see.... I must have read the thread title wrong... I didnt realize this thread was a physics exercise. ??? and I must have missed how this thread was about 'design of mics'.

I guess; 'condenser mics meant for PC use' - was not clear enough for the university and the OP response felt compelled to patronize me.

pfff....
    'pre-charged' - wtf - I mean - a term used to imply 'battery' ??

But I am glad you cleared all that up... you took a physics class - good for you.

But I'll tell you what... you can, from now on, handle all the 'how do I make my mic work' questions from now on... meh - you can field all the Q's - hows that ??

Have fun.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  8. jon tomes

jon tomes New Member

same here, except mine's soundblaster live value ct478010k1 and i'm running xp sp3

i have disabled the onboard soundcard in the bios

tom

9. malth

malth New Member

Wow. Way to be a complete dick.

Are you seriously that butthurt over a 2 line response from some random person on the internet?

Have fun.