Help needed with 9800 pro

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by dudepop, Apr 23, 2006.

1. dudepop

dudepop New Member

The problem is i used to have a radeon 9550 and when i ran games it used to kinda pause the graphics (well the whole game) for half a second or so every 10-20 seconds. Now it did this no matter what the game resolution or details were.

So i decided to get a better card so i got myself a radeon 9800pro. But the problem hasnt gone away. Its just the same. Ive tried the following games on full and lowest graphics settings:
    project igi 2
    fifa 2006
    scar - alfa romeo
    torino 2006
    ea rugby 2006

pc spec :
    xcube ez65
    celeron 2.8
    1 gig 266 ram
    radeon 9800 pro 128

I have tried variuos drivers for the 9800 including xg warcat 6.3. catalyst 5.1, im currently using catalyst 6.4

2. soul deep

soul deep New Member

may not be the answer but i had same problem with 9800 se ,i then upgraded to X800pro/gto and the problem continued,in the end i found out it was my ram ,but i only had 512m ddr pc2700 ,upgraded to 1GB drr 2700 and the problem vanished,good way to check is see if the pc is loading stuff to and from the hard drive when pauses occur ,if this is the case then its the hard drive being used as virtule ram thats your problem access times are obv a lot slower on hard drive, black and white 2 showed my problem very well during cut scene near begining when aztecs attack the game was stuttering soo bad and watching the hard drive was going ballstic as it was using the 2GB of virtual ram ,now with 1GB everything super smooth,may not be your problem tho bc you have a GB, but when pause's occur see if hardrive in use^^oh and yeah no matter what my settings were it still stuttered till i upgraded ram ,but you might ave a bottle neck elsewhere

asus A7NX8

3. alexpro

alexpro New Member

Well i cant really help ya but i have the same problem with Fifa and other games, have u tried updating Direct X

4. soul deep

soul deep New Member

could also be some program running in background i.e. msn messenger make sure everything closed ,but you prob know that alraedy ^^

5. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Have you updated your chipset drivers? That sounds like it has something to do with it

6. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

You might also want to check your motherboard bios and set the AGP Apeture size to 128 meg.