Help needed: xvid to DVD

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 9, 2003.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Any recommendations anyone? I used nero vision express 2 to convert an XVID to DVD and the sound starts off fine but about 20 mins in starts to lag about 1 second behind the movie (not sure if its just this movie or if its a problem with nero vision express 2 for this format). This app seems fine for DIVX and ive got SVCD2DVD for the bulk of my collection but im wondering if any of you have had success with some app for XVID to DVD...

2. HardwareHeaven

I think its a problem with this source file as I get this message when I open the file in virtualdub.

"virtuldub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 36049ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 128.1 +_ 16.2kps).

ill try another XVID, one that doesnt throw up this message in virtualdub.

3. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

mmm, actually if it says that, is likely that all the other apps will say the same, but something can be done, just do the WAV convertion thing and use it there :p

4. HardwareHeaven

too much time im lazy :lol:

5. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

Actually, I don't think VirtualDub likes VBR MP3s too well. You might try nandub or VirtualDubMod and see if you have some better success there.

- Me

6. shuki

shuki New Member

would it really take that long to pull the audio out of a 700mb xvid ? just asking as I know I will be considering this soon :)

7. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

I've never tried pulling the audio track out of a file before, but I know that with nandub it only takes about 2 minutes for me to put it in. I wouldn't think it would take that long to seperate, though.

- Me

8. One of the Twelve

One of the Twelve New Member

Late answer, I haven't been reading this section for ages.

I use NVE2 too, and the sounds lags often when I set the encoding priority below normal. With "normal", I usually get a decent result, but I guess one step higher priority would do the job, unless the source file is really broken - but often the source file's been just perfect. Turn unnecessary applications & background services off while converting the clip. Higher priority turns the computer unusable while conversion, that's a big con. Big pro, you might get what you want...

Recently one mpeg-to-dvd gave a half-green screen :confused: - top half of the screen was all green...

9. damiandimitri

damiandimitri New Member

xvid uses avi as his container, so you should be able to use dvd2svcd (avi2dvd mode)