help please with ventrilo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mashedpgravy, Oct 3, 2004.

1. mashedpgravy

mashedpgravy New Member

i am running xp pro sp2, had a $12 c-media pos sound card, replaced it with a sb audigy es sb0160(detected as sb0162 by kx)

i use ventrilo to communicate with fellow clan members in cs

since the swap i can say these drivers are wonderfully better than creative's own drivers, but i have one issue i can't figure out, and it doesn't happen with my old sound card or with this one using the creative drivers

when i speak through my mic, the other people also hear the ingame sounds over my voice, my headset is hooked up to my speaker headphone jack and my mic plug is hooked straight into the mic jack on the card, same way it was on all previous setups

i have tried different jacks, and also tried changing all kinds of settings in the kx mixer control panel, can't make it stop

they say it sounds like when i hit my talk button i have my speakers playing wide open in the background, but my speakers are silent because i have my headphone plug for the headset plugged into the speakers themselves......how can i fix this?

2. Razgriz

Razgriz Intelligence?

my friend has this same problem over teamspeak2. I think he downloaded some drivers for his headphones off the company site. I dunno if this will help, if it all, but i tried eh?

3. mashedpgravy

mashedpgravy New Member

well i never needed any drivers for my headset specifically, it's not usb though, i bet your friends headset is usb

4. eggs420

eggs420 my bud > yours

Go into setup and try changing your Line to microphone. If that doesn't help, goof with a few of the mixer/etc options available..If that still doesn't help, open the creative mixer and access the recording controls. Then just mute all but the microphone and nothing else should get recorded.

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

ok you're using kX
    so easiest way is in the DSP
    disconnect the ac97 (top of the prolog) from the xrouting, and then connect it straigh to the recl/r in the epilog - that way it should work

6. Schrönser

Schrönser New Member

Hi!

The easyest way is the way Stick has presented.

I have a more advanced setup for my VoIP needs:

http://hawk.techost.biz/forumimages/VoIP%20Setup.jpg

The "Wave 0/1" Src is where my normal Gaming sounds enter the DSP.
    "Wave 0/2" is coming from Ventrilo. The "VoIP Talkover Compressor" lowers the gaming sounds everytime there is a signal from Ventrilo, thus making my mates more audible. The "Stereo Mix" just mixes both and the Final Compressor does a little normalisation. The topmost 2 connectors on the k1lt are the outputs to my speakers.
    The "Mic In" is the AC97 Microphone. I've addet a noise gate, so the Mic is muted in case I don't say anything (otherwise, my mates where hearing themselves trough the speakers).
    The "Mic Compressor" boosts the sounds that are coming from the mic to 0dB (in fact it is hardlimiting at -60dB with a 50dB gain.). No one ever complained about me, being to silent, since I have this compressor in my setup... ;)

Okey, I hope you like this setup a little bit. Perhaps it encourages you to explore the magic of the DSP yourself.

Greetz
    Schrönser

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

interesting setup there - so when someone speaks, the game volume is reduced… i like that idea (btw i didn't read your description - too many " symbols)

8. mashedpgravy

mashedpgravy New Member

quick easy and painless and it worked well, thanks;)

9. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

I must say this DSP setup is the best and most inventive kX application targeted at Gaming I've ever seen.
    Personaly I don't see any reason why someone would prefer kX over Creative for Gaming,
    but I have to admit, this could be one.
    On top of that I'm amazed to see my ProFX plugs beeing (mis)used (j/k:cool: ) in a Gamers DSP setup.
    Very nice.

/LeMury

10. mashedpgravy

mashedpgravy New Member

the kx drivers are far superior to the creative ones in my opinion, music is drastically better, in games, i have noticed a few oddities, but nothing to get bent about, and the far superior imaging and clarity achieved by using the kx drivers more than outweighs the horrible bloatware that creative calls "drivers"

thanks guys for a great driver set

here is a link to the overclockersclub forums where i began with my problem searching, just a little pat on the back

slightly off topic, what exactly is the difference between the audigy ES and the LS ? i had an LS and sold it, but i liked it, needed cash, so i bought this ES, it was cheaper and i could not see any difference between it and the LS, but as i saw on the sticky, the kx drivers will not work with the LS, but do for the ES, so what's the difference?

PERHAPS MAKE THIS ONE STICKY AS I HAVE SEEN MORE THAN ONE REQUEST FOR A FIX TO THIS ISSUE.....

11. Schrönser

Schrönser New Member

Yea, that's what it does... sorry, for the &quote; 's in my text... I wonder why the forum converted the quote-symbols into HTML code... :duh:

I don't know wether this is a compliment or not, but this setup is indeed verry useful for gamers, as it makes Clan-Mates more audible and compresses your voice before it's been send. That way you don't have to worry about being in the right distance to your microphone or use headphones to avoid game sounds being recorded by the mic.

12. eggs420

eggs420 my bud > yours

Interesting read. Too bad my onboard is not supported, last I looked at least. ;(

13. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

lemury - i tihnk the teamspeak people have actually recommended kX to a few people, due to the control over which outputs programs can use etc
    i myself have never tried CL drivers for either my audigy or my audigy 2

14. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

>>I don't know wether this is a compliment or not
    Of course it is.

>>i tihnk the teamspeak people have actually recommended kX to a few people..
    So it seems.

Again; very nice and usefull kX application..!

/LeMury

15. DocterDee

DocterDee New Member

can you reupload your picture? Or better upload your Settings somewhere.

16. Schrönser

Schrönser New Member

Hi DocDee!

I actually don't know what happened to my webspace. It was one of those 100MB without cost spaces.
    I will look around for new webspace... then I can upload the pic and the according settings.

Greetz
    Schrönser

17. DocterDee

DocterDee New Member

Well you can send it to me and i'll upload it on my Webspace. My email is docterdee@gmx.de

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  18. MiskyWhixer

MiskyWhixer New Member

Hi Schrönser,
    yes, I would also like to see your settings. It sound's very well to me.

For now I use my own settings for gaming and VoIP (TeamSpeak2).
    http://people.freenet.de/miskywhixer/kX_DSP_Headset.JPG
    The FXBus 2/3 is the output of TeamSpeak2. So I can change the volume of the game and TS2 separately.
    The Expander is for 'noise reduction' of the mic. With the attack time of 80 ms I can type on my keyboard (or clap my hands:) ) without reaching the 'voice activation level' of TS2.
    The Surrounder is for some games, using 5.1 sound (like Chrome).
    And yes, I'm also hijacking LeMury's ProFX plugs, cause they are so easy to use! ;)

19. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

why are you usign an expander on the microphone? so any background noise is just reduced?

20. MiskyWhixer

MiskyWhixer New Member

right... all the background noise (in my case) under -25dB is reduced.