[HELP] Problem of optical/SPDIF IN

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Nuja, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Nuja

Nuja New Member

Re : [HELP] Problem of optical/SPDIF IN

the problem is that the inputs are not in the playback part of mixer so we cant hear them even if they work

2. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Have you tried both stereo and surround input to verify if it's only surround that doesn't work?

Also,for the optical connection, it should be the "Digital-In" input you select, not the "S/PDIF-In".

3. Nuja

Nuja New Member

there is only spdif-in.

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Well - you should be able to use those terms interchangeably - even for optical - its digital *and* its S/PDIF.

But I am confused - you say you cant find anything in the mixer?
    So what is labeled S/PDIF?

Also - What S/PDIF connector on the X-Fi are your connecting to...

I ask - because - on older CL cards - the SPDIF on the header connecter - are 5V TTL levels (and require additional circuitry to convert the voltage) - but many devices only output .5V (too low of level) - Which is why (imho) why its a good idea to also make sure stereo S/PDIF works from the external device first.

edit: - Doesnt CL use their own Mixer? Maybe just not shown in windows mixer? (for copy protection reasons, so you can not record DVD audio with software relying on win mixer, for instance... ??

5. Nuja

Nuja New Member

there is no input in playback! (only playback, in record there is line-in, mic, mic FP, SPDIF-in, but it only allow to record, not to hear)
    there is spdif-in in record. The only mixer i have is the windows one (seems like there is no creative mixer for XFI Extreme Audio PCI-Express). I connect my optical cable to the SPDIF-in.

6. Nuja

Nuja New Member

Im sure I cant hear all the inputs because they are not in playback (playback allow you to hear what is being recorded, record only record sound without allowing you to heat)

7. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the labels in XP, but in Vista for my X-Fi card, for optical input, it has to be "Digital-In" that's selected, not "S/PDIF-In".

[​IMG]

8. Nuja

Nuja New Member

Im looking for a way to enable/activate (make them appear) line-in, mic, spdif-in, in playback in windows mixer. that is the only way i guess...but how ?

9. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Doesnt that just differentiate between 2 different inputs?
    Im guessing
    Digital = Digital CD
    S/PDIF = Some other digital input...??

Which is why I asked OP to specify which input he is connected to?

Yes, but a program can *instead* of 'recording' the SPDIF input, it could process that input and play it so you can hear it - like, a DVD player, or some other (DD decoder for instance) application designed to do so.

Seems, the driver may not allow monitoring that input (DSP limitation is another possibility I suppose) directly like you expect.

I would not be suprised if a modded driver could tho. I am thinking its the specific model X-FI that is not allowing you to monitor that input - or, it could be an electronic / interface problem. Is the jack shared - like Line in or SPDIF in? Autosense not working for instance...?? (again could be an electronic problem)

Try recording that input - does that at least work?

10. Nuja

Nuja New Member

Re : Re: [HELP] Problem of optical/SPDIF IN

yes its working, I used audacity to check. The problem is the fact that im not able to set the inputs in playback as they are not available.

11. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Re: Re : Re: [HELP] Problem of optical/SPDIF IN

Ok - then you are forced to use software in order to do what you expect. Its obvious the driver does not allow it on its own.

Im guessing its from a DD licensing thing for your specific card model/driver version... ?? Another satisfied sound blaster customer :D. I take it the 'DD' labels on the box are from the software DVD player (that comes with the card) license only (their driver descriptions I linked to hinted to this), and seems they were forced into (or chose to) dis-allowing SPDIF hardware monitoring all together.

So it seems your out of luck, unless a modded driver is available/capable.

12. Nuja

Nuja New Member

Re : Re: Re : Re: [HELP] Problem of optical/SPDIF IN

I can understand for SPDIF-in, but what about line-in and mic ? I cant monitor them too, I can give up on SPDIF playback in the worst case but I cant for line-in/mic playback.

edit: and even if the line-in is working when I use an apps, its not working with the SPDIF, I guess it needs a pack like for other XFI. I still need to be able to hear the input (make them appear in playback)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  13. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ok heres the obvious - in win mixer, you clicked on Options/Properties - And enabled all 'Playback' volume controls - I assumed this was already done, but maybe a huge oversite...??

14. Nuja

Nuja New Member

In the picture I posted you can see all the option available (everything usable is in the picture)

edit: [​IMG]

and: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  15. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

But, its not showing the options/properties page - where you choose to see Recording or Playback volume controls - and select which volume controls will be shown in the win mixer.

But, I did assume you would have seen them when switching between playback and recording modes of the win mixer... but who knows ?? its my last/only assumption made on my part.

Notice - I dont have any digital inputs either - I use the drivers mixer for all that, not win mixer. Cuz, win mixer sux.
    [​IMG]

16. Nuja

Nuja New Member

[​IMG]

that is where I choose which one I display in windows mixer (between playback and record).

I use windows mixer as I have no choice because creative didnt make a creative mixer for this card :/

edit: as u can see in your picture u got mic and line in in playback...but i dont (look my picture) that is what is missing.

17. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Re: Re : [HELP] Problem of optical/SPDIF IN

Ok - yup, you did everything you can - tseem he driver does not allow what you want.

What driver did you install for your card? Are there others? Are you certain you insytalled all the apps for your card - isnt there some console for the XFI's that put them into various modes - maybe thats not installed - and adds another mixer...??

Its weird CL dropped having their own mixer like my A2 ZS had. But OK, and I didnt even use driver that long enough to know for certain my SPDIF inputs where there or not.

Seems windows XP mixer doesn't support digital inputs directly. Again, maybe from DRM/RIAA/MPSS problems that vista fixed. So possibly it works in Vista with their new driver..?? Line in and Mic ins missing is kinda weird too - is it possibly a fake XFi (I heard of phone cards before, maybe you got one??) Or is it an OEM by chance?

18. Nuja

Nuja New Member

its an OEM card from a famous french store, i dont think its a fake. i tried all available driver (as before I had crackle problem), I even tried the december 2008 driver. I dont care about SPDIF for now, but i would like to make Line-in and Mic appear in the playback

19. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

20. Nuja

Nuja New Member

I have the audio console but there is no mixer for inputs in this. I dont have a XFI software in my start menu. Creative driver package = driver + audio console.