[Help] Sound output jack remapped by vista sp1

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by raynsk, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raynsk

raynsk New Member

Hi All,

My Sony SZ laptop computer recently updated to Vista SP1 RTM. The terrible thing is Vista somehow remap the sound output channel. Now my internal speakers no longer sounds. I can only get sound from headphone jack. I tried to uninstall the driver comes with Vista and install the driver from Sony, but it does not work. Recover from recover CD, format and reinstall vista, boot with linux, reset BIOS to default, all have no success.

I though the Vista have changed some setting that stored in ROM. Because originally the machine has a boot up sound coming out from the internal speakers. But now it is mute.

The internal speaker now mapped as "PC speaker" output. I can hear tiny beeps from it when there is errors occurs.

Anyone has similar experience ? where is the sound card output channel setting stored ? in the sound chip or somewhere else ? is there anyway to "remap" to its original config ?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hi there and welcome to DriverHeaven!

First I must say that in the laptops ROM, where the BIOS is, there are no settings to configure the audio outputs. And the settings are stored usually in the drivers inf files.

I think the best way for you to get your laptop working correctly again is to send it to sony for repairs.

3. raynsk

raynsk New Member

Hi temeteus82,

Thank you for the reply. The reason that I suspect that the mapping is stored in some hardware is that, originally I was able to have sound in linux, but now, even the linux have no sound. And the boot up sound go away too. So in the Sony laptop, there must be some hardware keeping the setting. They should be doing it in an unusual way, not only the inf file.

And my laptop is alreay out of warranty :(

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

ok..

Can you tell more about your laptops specifications? Like what sound chip is used?

5. raynsk

raynsk New Member

It's Sigmatel high definition audio card. The vendor ID is 8384 with device ID 7661. The main chipset is intel 945GM. I think it is using intel HDA, not sure, I am not a professional in hardware. Under Windows Device Manager, it says ICH7 is being used. I am now using Sigmatel driver version 6.10.5379.

I hope there may be utility from Sigmatel or other manufacturers that can remap the sound card output.

Thanks for your help.

6. raynsk

raynsk New Member

After going through some articles about HDA, they stated that the pin configuration (output port mapping) is stored in BIOS. Those are called verb table. Here is the quote from a document written by MS.

[FONT=&quot]"Intel High Definition Audio (HD Audio) codecs are flexible hardware devices. They can be configured by system BIOS routines to implement a variety of logical audio devices to support individual systems designs. The BIOS loads the pin configuration registers in an HD Audio codec with default settings that identify the audio devices that the codec implements on the system."

However, I have re-flash my BIOS, but the problem still exists. I think the verb table is stored near the end of the BIOS ?? There is a tool from MS call HDAU.exe, does anyone have this tools ? It is mentioned in the following article.
    Microsoft HD Audio Pin Configuration Implementation Test Procedure Guidelines

[/FONT]

7. PhoenixFnX

PhoenixFnX New Member

8. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Holly thread resurrection Batman!

Thread Closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.