Hennessey Venom hits a record 270.49mph

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Calliers, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Top Gear can exclusively reveal the Hennessey Venom has hit 270.49mph (435.31km/h) at the Kennedy Space Center, the highest speed ever recorded by a production car.

2. Calliers

It's beautiful too, I'd buy one.

3. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

speed isn't everything... There are much prettier cars around that are probably way more comfortable..

4. Calliers

And cheaper, a 750hp Venom GT is $600,000 and a 1200hp one is $1,000,000.

5. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I'm talking about different brands... try to drive this Hennesey in an urban environment with speedbumps.. your fucked.

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

It's fast, at least in a straight line. That's not so hard really so it's kinda pointless. I'd be more interested on laptimes, I doubt it'll do as well as other cheaper cars on tracks.

7. Calliers

I'll be honest with you, if I had oodles of money, and I mean if I was rich like in the tens of millions I would still just drive a Mercedes CLA 45 AMG. Why? Because it's the cheapest AMG that you can buy with a MSRP of $47,000 and on top of that I've always wanted a Mercedes AMG. If I ever chose to have a second car and could afford it I would go for a Porsche 911 Turbo. Just my 2 cents.

8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

bet that 50k Caterham that was on Top Gear on Sunday would absolutely monster it around a track though ;)

having said that, i wouldn't be disappointed if i got one for xmas... :p

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

north America... where finding curves and hairpins is a rare thing and it's all pretty much STRAIGHT lines in every direction with suttle curves.

this is precisely why "corner handling" for muscled up cars in north America really don't perform in the handling arena Exceptionally well unless they specifically design for it.

Our friends to the east however, I was told you'd be lucky to find a few miles of straight roads just about anywhere.... winding and curvy roads everywhere. They do exist just like curvy ones exist in north America.... but they are really quite the polar opposites of each other.

I have no idea how this car would handle, but I do know that the Bugatti Veyron has an insane amount of untapped performance simply due to designing it to be a long lasting vehicle.

Quite like the design, reminds me of a car I made in nfs4hs when I took a McLaren, a porche 911 and a Lamborghini 3D models and basically morphed them together to for a quite striking resemblance to this Hennessey Venom. Kinda wish I had an original screenshot of that or even the model from 10+ years ago that I had done that still.

I'm sure this will just give Bugatti a reason to slap in a few things they've either purposely left out to keep costs in around 2 million. Bump the horses up and release it as the production car.

There was already a modded Bugatti that was with just a few dollars.. nothing to crazy compared to it's value, a Bugatti that was pushing 1500hp and was peaking at 286mph. But they never took it to world records and wasn't thoroughly road tested.

But one thing i'd REALLY like to know.... how long would a tank of fuel last, and at what time would the tires literally fly apart?

10. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Even if you have long straights you won't be able to drive at these speeds on them. Roads are rarely smooth enough to make it comfortable and wide enogh to safely drive in such speeds. So, top speed is rather uninteresting in any road car.

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

top speed is indeed relatively uninteresting..... but it's a phenominal achievement non the less.

Even with our shit roads in Saskatchewan, provided you actually don't have a modern vehicle because you'd be tossed off the road and broken almost emediately at speed of excess of 120mph... (dangerous at those speeds..) with a older heavier vehicle, it wasn't uncommon to seed 150+mph 100 mile runs...

in fact the 283 engines typically peaked at 105mph floating the valves to no end. So long as there was oil in the crank, you were fine.

But anything larger ment you could push things much futher, and with the muscled up cars with the kits that were put in them, 150mph without any crashes to speak of. You learn to drive on the truly shitty conditions, and speed isn't ever a factor.

Meanwhile I've personally see someone with a porche, travel not much over 40km/h on the roads here because of how horrible the vehicle handles under these conditions... it's entirely unsafe.

12. Calliers

After a while driving in Saskatoon you learn the smoother parts of roads on which you can accelerate faster and the rough patches on which you need to be safe. Like Judas says, because of our winters the roads here suck balls. They're constantly doing maintenance on them during the summer.

13. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

Kinda just looks like a Lotus Elise to me.. Contorted to fit a big old American muscle car engine inside it.
    Just like the 'FORD cobra' was really a British AC ACE with an American muscle, and the 'FORD GT' was a British car based on a LOLA with just an American engine. But SHHH...don't tell them that What ever you do. :p