High-end AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Zarathustra, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

Ok guys I'm consolidating down to a single machine (don't ask why) and need to make a decision. Do I go high-end AMD or Intel? Right now I have a XP1600+@1800mhz in a Epox 8K3A+ (KT333). I was thinking of selling that and going with a Asus P4G8X Deluxe (Granite Bay) and then either a 2.4B or handpick a 1.8 C1 locally (would be the same price). Of course I could save some cash and just throw a 2600+ into my current mobo. Or I could wait till the Bartons come out. Or I could wait till HT is enabled in low speed P4s and get the Granite Bay combo then. Thoughts?

I don't want people to answer with things like "Intel sucks" or "P4", I want justification along with the comments. Such posts will be deleted :p

2. Ryoko

Ryoko American Soldier

intel sucks.

you know your situation better than we do, and we all know that the longer you wait, the less you'll pay but the less you'll get.

if i were you, i'd get the faster athlon to tide you over until all the major hitters are released, and the prices for everyhing goes down.

p4.

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

money no object P4 3 gig. highest performing CPU on the market.

if you want a bargain get a 2400 XP. overclock it to 2200mhz easy. get equivalent performance generally to a 2.8 gig P4.

4. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

agreed... Personally P4 is too much for my blood, a 3GHz P4 is around 600 dollars. I can get a new motherboard, ram, cpu from AMD for that.

5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

Well my problem is that I had to sell my pride and joy Xeon box, so I would really like to have a little SMP lovin' again. Dual Athlons are just not fast enough. So that leaves Intel. Dual Socket 603/604 Xeons aren't too expensive, but the corresponding motherboard is $400+! Enter Hyperthreading. Dual logical CPUs would satisfy me, but there's no way I'll throw down $600 for a 3.06. So that means waiting till someone figures out how to enable HT in other Northwoods or just wait till Intel releases the lower speed HT CPUs. I'm really in that mood where I want something NOW! :sigh:

6. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Personally I'd buy a Intel 2.something....maybe the 2.4 and do a reasonable overclock on it. Maybe up to 3 GB.....that's sufficient.

7. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

I know its cheesy, but - 'you get what you pay for' You'll make the right decision.

8. Marks

Marks New Member

High Performance -> INTEL

9. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

AMD = High performance too. So what is your point?

10. blackdog

blackdog Active Member

Same situation looking seriously at 2.4 or 2.53 Intel. to replace my aging t-bird

11. mbeeston

mbeeston New Member

high end is currently intel.. you want it.. go get it.. can i have one too?

12. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

2800+, and 3000+ Barton cores will be out in the next few weeks. with 512KB of L2 Cache No longer will Intel hold that over AMD's head. Personally, I would wait and see the benchies.

13. ThA_Gr81

ThA_Gr81 New Member

14. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

dfg

A 2.533B is a great processor to buy right now, cheap, fast, overclocks like a mother with the latest stepping, PLUS, if you have DDR ram, a granite bay will save you TONS of money and perform as well in games and some apps as a PC1066 based system...if your sticks are matched.

I'd go with the Gigabyte GB though, faster, more stable, more overclockable, more features...but 20 bucks more expensive than ASUS.

If you go AMD, get a Tbred 2400+, OC it and get an nForce 2. Again, you save money on ram and it's hella fast.

15. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

dfg

A 2.533B is a great processor to buy right now, cheap, fast, overclocks like a mother with the latest stepping, PLUS, if you have DDR ram, a granite bay will save you TONS of money and perform as well in games and some apps as a PC1066 based system...if your sticks are matched.

I'd go with the Gigabyte GB though, faster, more stable, more overclockable, more features...but 20 bucks more expensive than ASUS.

If you go AMD, get a Tbred 2400+, OC it and get an nForce 2. Again, you save money on ram and it's hella fast.

16. jp306

jp306 New Member

AMD all the way. I would just get a new cpu for now.
    AMD = good performance great price
    Intel = good performance and bend over

17. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

What a great line. :D

18. WildChild

WildChild I'm Still Watching

intel ???

your paying for a name in my opinion...im runnin a xp 2700+ 2.17GHZ and ill match it speed for speed stock with a 2.5 pentium ...wait for the barton chips youll be happier in the end ...:evil: :evil: