HL2 Episode 1

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by MIG-31, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I don't see what's wrong with it... I finished Tomb Raider Legends when I had to review it and that's a full priced game! It's the trend.

2. ka713

ka713 Deceased

I've played it 3 times lol
    ....in 2 days I might add

3. Alien1

Alien1 Banned

Well i installed it yesterday

---
    Sandok

I did not say it's bad
    but except the story there is nothing really new in it

4. Drakon

Drakon New Member

Honestly, what did you guys expect you were getting for $20? A full blown game? It's 4 - 6 hrs for crying out loud. And as someone pointed out on another site, didn't Valve say that EP1 was going to be based entirely on City 17 since Gordon and Alex need to escape from the Citadel? So obvisously you're going to be fighting both inside and outside of buildings. Don't see what all the whining about it being "too short or little" and things being the "same as HL2."

5. ka713

ka713 Deceased

I agree on the story, there isn't really anything new. I've read peoples thoughts on it on Steam forums who say its a good advancement in the plot, however I disagree. All that is advanced in the plot is the opening cutscene (those who played it know what I'm talking about). Other than that, the game just sticks enemies in your face from point A to point B. (Ok that was a bit harsh and I don't want to sound like I don't like the game or that its bad, I do like it, as I've said I've played it 3 times.)

I know its only $20 and only 4-6 hours, however because its an expansion, people want the game to be just that, expanded, something new added on. Yes, they added the new enemy, the zombine, however I believe its gone a bit stale in terms of plot, because all that has progressed in my mind is shown by the cutscene, not by the players actions. What I believe they have done is stuck enemies in front of you from your path A to B, giving the game a really linear feel in my opinion. What I would like to play in future episodes is something that isn't as linear as the feel for Episode 1. Taking Episode 1 for example, maybe going to the train station, then goin "oh crap its some how stuffed up" then backtracking and doing something else. Like maybe lead the player into truely believe this is where its headed, then at the "last second" change it to give the game a twist. Also with NPC characters like the G-man, maybe give him more "gametime" so you can get a feel of how he has responded to that incident in the cutscene, and incorporating plot into gameplay instead of a movie.

6. LHC

LHC Stingy and Stubborn

Well, I don't know if anybody else noticed this, but I didn't see any cameo G-man things at all in this game. I usually catch a lot of them. That could be saying something right there, that he wasn't "keeping an eye on you".

7. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

He got 'blocked' by the purple glowing aliens in a cutscene, which by the way... I didn't see the first time through due to some crash issues. The only new G-man like cameos where from the new creature that looked like a green bug pupa. (monitor at one point)

8. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

omfg purple glowing aliens maybe this game is worth buying !!!

Sarcasm is just one more free service we offer.

A little drunk btw.

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I can tell by all of your posts in the past few minutes.

- making some pretty uh... "how do you say it".. posts. :hmm:

10. ka713

ka713 Deceased

Yeah, you not seeing him could mean something, but wouldn't it be cool if you did see him, and he didn't see you, and you had to run and hide.

11. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

with the system you have, you should be able to run everything maxed out with out a problem. i run everything max with HDR on, 6x AA 16x AF adaptive AA and average about 30-35fps.

12. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

H-L II Ep 01

The game is extremely good, better then the full game, the part with dog and the toss.. I was hollering like i was at a baseball game I was having so much fun.. Thumbs up to valve they did a great job with this first episode, I wish they used this first episode for the full game though, that would have made it better. Can't wait for the next one. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

13. wrathofgod

wrathofgod New Member

Amen to that. Was a blast to play. I thought it was better than vanilla HL2 also. =]

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well I guess I have to buy it now. LOL.. Damn you Valve! Making these irresistible games.

15. darkmaniac7

darkmaniac7 New Member

ya its pretty sweet...tho i hope you dont have teh same problems i was/am where it freezes at the main menu..am now updating video drivers will see if that fixes it.

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I dunno- I'm gonna d/l it soon... playing through FEAR now for the first time. GFX are amazing.. Running all maxed out at 1600 x 1200 2xAA - Supersampling transparency AA, gamma correct AA- 8xAF (16x works fine too, but it is a little bit smoother with 8)

in buildings, but the GI guess it seems like it is all FX are so good I don't mind. The enemies are fun to kill too. Maybe I'll d/l HL2 ep 1 tomorrow.

17. darkmaniac7

darkmaniac7 New Member

hmmm...

well it fixed it....well at least until it got to the next loading screen, and then the next part where there were more tha 4 enemies in one room i had to do 1. press ctrl + alt + delete then wait 2 minutes fr it to come up or 2. do a sys. reset (always fun) anyway i beat it now trying to beat it playing directors commentary (with even more instances such as this one)....ahh yes FEAR was an awesome game..graphics superior to hl2 (unless u dl the fakefactory patch) and FEAR extraction point is to come out pretty soon the booth at E3 was awesome!

18. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

im looking forward to that myself. hopefully its a more diverse game this time with that awesome engine.

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Wow- Valve download speed really sucks bad.

20. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I got HL2: E1 just this afternoon at Best Buy for $14.99. Is it really worth it? :D