holophonics for regular 3d games is it possible?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by TiagoTiago, Jun 6, 2007.

1. TiagoTiago

TiagoTiago New Member

would you guys know of a (free)way of having the 3d sounds emited by games be processed in order to result in an illusion similar to the one produced with true holophonic recordings?

ps: if you don't know what holophonics is, here are some examples (the illusion probably won't work wwith anything other than steereo headphones)
    http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/26/holophonic-sound/
    http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop
    http://www.holophonic.ch/archivio/testaudio/voce.mp3

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  2. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

it is a binaural recording, it is not dsp processed...however i have been doing a bit of work on head related transfer function stuff. not programming plugins but simulating a 'perfect stereo' on headphones. basically you need to model the change in sound (a very large set of peaking EQ's), add a little timedelay to compensate for the distance between ears and 'swap' the output (add the processed right to the left and vice versa), granted, if you were to do an actual binaural simulation

for your game you would need to know the position (in relation to the head) and the distance to calculate the correct time delay for THAT SOUND between ears and also the position in relation to the head to select an EQ to apply to the sound, i never do much with multichannel audio, i mostly listen to music however the HPhSP plugin in conjunction with the described filters should sound pretty realistic, it would be a:

7 channel converted to 2 channel which is then 'played' (simulated) through a two channel stereo set with each speaker at whatever angle you decide (i have my setup simulating a 30 degree (+- 30 degrees, see dolby for that...) setup). if you want more dsp data (how im doing my setup more precisely just ask.

EDIT/addition: if you were to apply a bit of reverb to the processed signal, it could near perfectly (as perfect as DSP can do) simulate listening to a stereo in a room, in my setup i listen to the stereo in no room... FYI, the technique of playing a modified, delayed and swapped signal in addition to the main signal is thought to and generally does reduce listening fatigue on headphones; this is mainly why I do it

Also: my fitler setup uses 5 peaking EQ's, 1 highpass and one lowpass with a gain, two 'thesmalldelay' delays and a stereo mix. I also have processing the Phons scale conversion (equal loudness) so I am near out of DSP resources doing all of this :) atleast GPR's (using 470/512)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  3. TiagoTiago

TiagoTiago New Member

that seems to be an statyc solution, right? I was hoping for some driver tweak/wrapper/somthing that would transform 3d sound sent by ganmes and other apps into holophonic like sound....

4. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

you are correct, my solution basically simulates sitting in the 'sweet spot' of a stereo. granted it works very well but it is not going to be 'as good' as using a dummy head for recording because what I do does not account for phase differences caused by the head, its just a delay.
    The main problem I see you having is finding someone who is familiar with DSP programing (i am not) and also hopefully familiar with the concepts between HRTF (head related transfer fucntions) (I am) who is willing to spend quite a bit of time interfacing some protocal that is telling the soundcard where sounds are comming from. this is starting to sound like "eax 4.0 advanced HD" from creative. I am sorry to tell you but 3d audio has not been a big priority of this project for a while (as far as i can tell) If you are looking to assemble a team to work on this I am up for it however I dont have the time or motivation to learn the programming side of the dsp this summer, I am more than willing to postulate, ponder, and help put forward ideas to move your problem towards a solution

-Matt

5. JHT69

JHT69 New Member

I checked out the Holophonics links. It sounds pretty cool but it doesn't look like there is much going on with that compnay. They don't even have a website, but I was able to find a blurb about it on one blog entry dated back to 1997. One thing I did find when doing a quick search on "4D Sound" was another technology called AstoundSound which is DSP processed. They have a new video game coming out called Deprived by Diesel Games. You can check out the link at www.genaudioinc.com for more info.

Although it doesn't appear to be an OSS application, it does appear that this will be imbedded into upcoming gaming titles.

6. TiagoTiago

TiagoTiago New Member

somthing I just thought, what if the 5.1 channels were mixedwith each channel being filtered to fit the pattern of frequency absorbtion and amplification observed in binaural holophonic microphones? wouldn't it be pretty close to the real thing?

7. jerryphysicist

jerryphysicist New Member

AstoundSound

Hello, I am the inventor of the AstoundSound technology and CEO of GenAudio. For clarification, we do have an OS X application (currently as a stand alone) for in-house testing and DSP optimization. The application is UB as well (both PPC and intel). We are currently porting the code to an RTAS as well as a TDM (ProTools plug-in). GenAudio and Diesel Games are currently developing both a demo XBOX360 game and simultaneously, alonside the game, a real-time localization cue processing toolkit for game developers scheduled for release by year end . Please fee free to email with any questions by simply filling out the feedback form on our website, www.genaudiuoinc.com and the appropriate personnel will get back to you ASAP (or perhaps even myself depending on the nature of the feedback. Thanks for checking us out...We are very excited about bringing a real 4D audio technology to market and have entered into partnerships with large entities in each of the verticals in the entertainment space...Thanks...Jerry

8. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Seems you had a typo in the URL...
    http://www.genaudioinc.com/

9. jerryphysicist

jerryphysicist New Member

10. TiagoTiago

TiagoTiago New Member

hey, after (ok, during) watching the demo video on that page I thought of somthing, how about making a video like that but in the ocean? having stuff like waves, bubbles, dolphins, whales, submarines, tankers, seagulls etc