how can i know if my usb devices are using usb 1.1 or 2.0?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Shadow Lady, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

I have no idea, and im thinking they are not but i cannot be sure, i tried using sandra but the info it gives me is... well, its wierd :p

take a look

[​IMG]

please help :)

the way i see it, the 5th controller is the usb 2.0 taht uses the other 4 controllers as companions to use 1.1 and 2.0 when conveniant? i have no idea lol

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  2. Jalle64

Jalle64 New Member

Take a look in sandras ports information and see if you can figure out little more?!:)

3. Lchevy79

Lchevy79 -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

4. BONEHEAD

BONEHEAD New Member

5. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Not sure if Auto-routing applies, as suggested in the other forum.

My understanding is that most motherboards that support USB 2.0 tend to have a mix of ports and controllers:

Two pairs of USB ports on the backplate, one pair USB 1.1, one USB 2.0 (may need a motherboard jumper set).

Additional two port USB headers, which might be 1.1 or 2.0, maybe jumper set.

In the usual implementation on this type of baord, eack pair (at least of 1.1 ports) has it's own root hub and controller, so add extra port plates and spread USB 1.1 full speed (12mbit) devices around them, only putting non-concurrent devices in pairs - save the US 2.0 ports for devices that use HIGH SPEED.

NB. The 2.0/1.1 definitions tend to be blurred these days, what we used to just think of as "USB 2.0" is now USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED - since they like to make devices sound better by calling them USB 2.0 Full Speed (a valid name for the 12 megabit speed - but that speed should be fully backward compatible with USB 1.1)

6. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

usbmon helped me, it seems every device im using has "full speed" except my usb gamepad using "low speed"

and seeing at the usb version, only my printer is using 2.0, now... what tha fuck lol

and none of 'em is using the enhanced usb controller (which i think is the usb 2.0high speed controller)

now... im just more confused lol

7. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

The device has to be a USB 2.0 device for it to use 2.0 HiSpeed, are your devices HiSpeed devices?
    2.0 HiSpeed devices are usually high-bandwidth demanding devices, like hard drives, DV cams, etc.
    Less demanding devices are usually 12mbps, or 1.5Mbps for gamepads, etc.

8. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I agree with Vamp. Unless you have USB2.0 devices hooked up they will probably show as USB1.1 ports. I dont have anything 2.0 to test this myself tho

9. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

well, except for my modem, all my usb devices are 2.0 (maybe not high speed anyway) now i see why my gamepad is showing low speed, thx for taht explanation (still it should be using 2.0 even if low speed)

10. SkyBum

SkyBum New Member

Question: Are USB 2.0 devices backward compatible with 1.1 ports?

11. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

I'd say maybe - some devices will not be properly usable without 2.0 High Speed throughput, if they require it - eg. DVD Writer.

13. swimtech

Quite so indeed, thanks for the additive comment Matth - I should have been a little more elaborate.

Real time use of the data would definitely be a consideration for usage, but the ports themselves are compatible.

14. SkyBum

SkyBum New Member

My main concern was that an external hard drive with USB 2.0 would still be able to upload data over a USB 1.0 port on another PC. Sounds like that would be possible although at the slower 1.0 speed?

15. swimtech

Oh sure, no problems, I'm doing it now at work. Not fast, but it works fine. If I ever install a USB2 port or get another computer, I'll be set to fly backup-wise. The difference in actual (real world) throughput is large, about 20x or more.

There was a notice that popped up the first time I hooked up the Seagate 160G unit to my laptop that I was connecting a USB 2 device to a USB 1 port and I would need to install a USB 2.0 port, but I knew that, and now you do too.

16. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

If I could be bothered calculating the time required to fill a 160Gb HDD at USB 1.1 transfer rate, it would be interesting ... 30 hours, though possibly 60, as I'm pretty sure no device is allowed to use more than 50% of the 12 Mgabit USB 1.1 bandwidth.

The other issue whic can tread on the toes of using backward compatible mode, is that if the USB 1.1 port is attached to a machine running Win98SE, a significant number of USB 2.0 devices do not have driver support available, even though you CAN have a USB 2.0 card in Win98SE (so long as you pick one that does have drivers).

If you're in the habit of carrying a tranfer files on a USB pendrive, for best compatibility, it SHOULD be a USB 1.1 model, AND you should have drivers on floppy and CD - the phasing out of the floppy drive means you cannot rely on that as a transfer medium any more, but it's rare to find a system with no USB, and practically unthinkable to find one with no CD-ROM.

Who remembers coverdisks.... in 5 1/4"

17. swimtech

Yup, it was slow time-wise, took 4 to 5 hours to back up 25.5 Gigs. A full Cd image (700Mb) goes across in about 10 minutes. This was while using the laptop being backed up for web access during that time...