How can I record clips from DVD/VCD onto my harddrive?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by BabylenTatarsky, Jan 21, 2007.

1. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

Hello.

There's one scene in a movie that I like and would like to be able to watch at the click of a button, wherever I am - I decided to put it onto youtube.

I have the movie on DVD.

I have a a fully licensed version of Easy Screen Capture, that I got to make videos of a game.

When I try to "capture" the video when it's playing in WMP, WMPClassic and/or VLC Player - it just records a blank screen and no sound. I don't even know if it records sound but it should at least record video, right?

So, can anyone suggest the easiest possible way for me to do what I want to do? (Put DVD in, fast forward to the bit I wanna record, record it so I can put it on youtube.)

Thanks.

2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

The easiest way of doing this is turning the DVD in to another file. Example mpeg, wmv, or AVI. I've never personally attempted this myself so other folks hopefully will have easier solutions.

3. Jeremy of Many

Jeremy of Many New Member

Use AutoGordianKnot to encode the DVD to AVI (DivX or XviD), leave it on overnight. It will take several hours but it is the most thorough and efficient all-in-one out there and it's free.
    From that point, simply use VirtualDub and select for both Audio and Video > Direct Stream Copy and save the part of the movie you want as a seperate clip at the exact same quality.
    A piece of advice, don't ever spend money on audio/video conversion software. There are many excellent freeware and open-source alternatives. The only exception I'd currently mention is ConvertXToDVD which I've used to create hundreds of DVDs for myself and my fiancee to watch together in our comfortable livingroom. Never a problem with any of them, flawless.

Cheers,
    Jeremy