How do you troubleshoot: TOO MANY INSTANCES?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I've Googled this to no avail. The only real appropriate hits I get are for those who are having the exact same problem I'm having with the very same device: Tt eSPORT BLACK Gaming Mouse.

I bought this mouse and actually very much like how it performs and feels. But, not being able to open the software for it, due to the above error, there's a lot missing from the value.

And, those who have reported this problem have gotten no solution from Thermaltake, either.

Here's what I've done so far:

Uninstalled the previous MS Intellimouse and all the software, Rebooted.

Ran CCleaner's Cleaner and Registry apps.

Made sure that the Intellimouse software was deleted from any Startup option.

Downloaded the most recent files for the new mouse.

Installed the software/drivers for it.

Rebooted at the prompt.

(Repeated this after uninstalling it due to the error.)

I've tried Run as Administrator.

I've tried various Compatibility modes.

Nothing, so far, has worked.

When I try to run the program, here's all I get....

[​IMG]

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Are you trying to start the application from some system tray icon and is there one? Because what crossed my mind was that the message might be related to the application itself and there was already an instance of it running in the background?

If there is no icon, you may still check if there is a process running with Task Manager or by looking under Services and Startup in msconfig. If there is a process running, maybe you could kill it and then try to start the application?

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Dyre Straits

No, there is no icon for it, yet, either on the Desktop or in the System Tray. I was simply trying to start it from within the Programs list it created.

But, yes, there WAS a process running and, after End Tasking on that, the app came up fine.

Unless they release an update for this, I can see it becoming a bit of an annoyance. This is what establishes how the mouse and buttons work. If it doesn't load with Windows, then the mouse, I think, likely, reverts to working as a default mouse. The program allows for three Profiles to be created for how the mouse works. So, the program does need to be accessible if the desire is to switch between Profiles. Having to End Task on it before being able to access the options would become a bit PITA, IMHO.

So, they need to release an update that automatically End Tasks the app so that it can be accessed without all the rigamarole.

That being said, the app does allow for a lot of fine tuning and options. I'll post more about it in the Hardware discussion thread.

+1 for your suggestion!

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

So if something is loading with windows does a right click on the desktop show an option for access in the drop down box?

5. Dyre Straits

There's nothing showing with a right click on the Desktop.

However, after some more digging, I did find that it was putting an icon in the Show Hidden Icons drop down box in the Task Bar. So, that's one discovery that makes things work better.

I posted some images of the UI over in the Hardware discussion forum.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/hardw...t/214305-new-mouse-tt-black-gaming-mouse.html

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

So that give you the access you need, is it customizable from that icon?

7. Dyre Straits

Yes, that is correct. Just double click that icon and it brings up the app.

Also, the sensitivity can be adjusted on the fly with the small toggle button right behind the scroll wheel.

8. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm glad you got it sorted Dyre. Make sure you leave a comment on their forums so that the next guy with the same problem can find the answer there. :)

9. Dyre Straits

Already been there and done that. :)

10. mundanecrow

mundanecrow New Member

I don't know if you got an answer for not yet for the "Too Many Instances" problem, but the second person was exactly right. I was having the same problem and I came here and got my answer. The Profiler was already running. The icon was not in the tray at the bottom of the screen, but if you click the arror, mine arrow is pointing up, a window will come up showing all the hidden icons and sure enough there was the Thermaltake icon. All is well in my world.